Dobyns Bennett vs Morristown East

orangeandwhite

Batman, I am usually on here just to read and be entertained and I always enjoy your posts.  However, this one cannot go unanswered.  Lafe Cook has been an inspiration to hundreds of kids that have passed through the D-B band over the years.  Has he ruffled some feathers along the way?  Probably, but no more than you and I have in our careers.  I would have been proud to have had my son play for Graham Clark for 4 years because I know the type of many that Graham is.  But I am proud to have had my son under Lafe's direction for 4 years.  He has learned more about dedication, teamwork and the benefits of hard work than he could have under most other environments.

Not a day goes by that I don't get under somebodies skin,however  I have nothing but love for those kids that work their butts off in the band and I know a lot of their parents and several of them.I understand you going to bat for your director as I would for DB's coach.A lot of people don't like me or coach either,and that we can't control.Yes, Cook he has ruffled some bat wings and several other people I know.In life yor going to run into people that you like,while other people you like would just as soon " not put them out" if they were on fire.

I'm hoping to make this game but, the Big Orange plays early on Saturday.

I'll still be tied up myself this friday.I don't know how DB will matchup with East,but I really wasn't looking forward to Farragut again.I just think that would have been a hard task to beat them twice.I'd rather have beat SH and found out .The streak is over and not a lot of good to say about that,but if it had to happen,I'm glad it wasn't last year when DB was really good or worse yet,this coming week in a playoff game.This Morristown East game kind of puts DB in the shoes that other teams have been in over the years when coming to Kingsport.A team can be 6-4 and have played a hard schedule,but still bite you and we have seen that on the other side.It's tough going through years like this ,but it could have been a whole lot worse and there not  been a game for DB friday night.This group has shown a lot of heart and have fought until the end every week.Roll Tribe

It's never good to be hoping for a win... Outside of 2009, 10, 11 Greeneville, 2009 Elizabethton (Alcoa still laid a smack down in semis), and 2007 Sullivan South (Maryville made their statement still), there has not been a team East of Knoxville in the last 10 years to match the physicality of a strong Knoxville area team. Sevier Co has been close multiple times but they have fallen short as well in that time period.

It's never good to be hoping for a win... Outside of 2009, 10, 11 Greeneville, 2009 Elizabethton (Alcoa still laid a smack down in semis), and 2007 Sullivan South (Maryville made their statement still), there has not been a team East of Knoxville in the last 10 years to match the physicality of a strong Knoxville area team. Sevier Co has been close multiple times but they have fallen short as well in that time period.

Well,the last 4 years for all of east TN,nobody has been in one teams class in 6A.That will take a special team to beat those Rebs

It is all a mindset. They have the champions mindset everyday of the year from training to practice to how they keep their bodies fueled everyday to the game. They got it figured out and they live it. That's the difference between Maryville and everyone else in TN. Simply put TN high school football is above average at the very best. Maryville, Alcoa, Fulton, and South Pittsburg for the past 10 yrs have been the most dominant programs in the state without argument in my opinion. Take those 4 programs and put them in any bordering state minus KY and AR, they would still be powerful but definitely not at the Juggernaut status they currently set in; especially if they were in GA.

It is all a mindset. They have the champions mindset everyday of the year from training to practice to how they keep their bodies fueled everyday to the game. They got it figured out and they live it. That's the difference between Maryville and everyone else in TN. Simply put TN high school football is above average at the very best. Maryville, Alcoa, Fulton, and South Pittsburg for the past 10 yrs have been the most dominant programs in the state without argument in my opinion. Take those 4 programs and put them in any bordering state minus KY and AR, they would still be powerful but definitely not at the Juggernaut status they currently set in; especially if they were in GA.

Those teams have a little more then mindset compared to most of the state,but yes they are the dominant teams without question.I'll add to that.It takes several things to be as dominant as say Maryville.From their youth leagues on up to without a doubt one of the best coaching staffs anywhere at any level.Also,they have some very good athletes

Edited by BatmanDB

I completely disagree. DB last year was as good a football team this area has had in many,many years. That team was capable of winning it all. If not for the turnovers last year they might have beaten Maryville. I bet If you asked coach Quarrels he would tell you the '12 DB Indians were a very good team. Two special athletes who don't come around very often on the same team, and uh, they're playing as Freshman a lot in Knoxville. ROLL TRIBE

• Upvote 1

I completely disagree. DB last year was as good a football team this area has had in many,many years. That team was capable of winning it all. If not for the turnovers last year they might have beaten Maryville. I bet If you asked coach Quarrels he would tell you the '12 DB Indians were a very good team. Two special athletes who don't come around very often on the same team, and uh, they're playing as Freshman a lot in Knoxville. ROLL TRIBE

First I agree that DB was a really good football team last year but what you people in the upper end of the state don't seem to get is the fact that there are a lot a 'really good football' teams that play the Rebs and get thumped.  And yes, ask George and he would tell you they were a good football team just like you said because that's the kind of guy he is...all first class.  And you said if not for the turnovers well that's just it if not for the turnovers it would have been that they were better on offense or defense or in the kicking game...It really doesn't make much difference what the reason is you still got your shot and got nothing for it.  DB has a great football program, no doubt about it.  And I'm sure their mythical championships were well earned.  But they still don't have one one that was decided on the football field.  I haven't seen them play this year but have seen all East games.  SECfighter did a great job of summing up the Hurricanes.  East is 9-1 but the schedule that looked pretty good at the start of the season turned out to be fairly week as far as number of wins by opponents go.  I think this will be a close, exciting football game and if East stays away from turnovers I think they win simply because of what these kids and coaches have going on within themselves in believing after last year's disaster.

As a Maryville fan, I have a lot of respect for the DB program and the fans.  I would agree about DB's talent and potential the last several years.  It would have been nice to see how they would have finished overall in the State without Maryville in the way.  At home Maryville made a lot of really good teams (Redbank, Riverdale, Sevier Co., and DB) look average.  Losing to Maryville at their house does not define a teams overall talent and true performance ability.

That being said, I am concerned about DB in this one.  Either team is capable of winning this game.  This may be one of the best games in the Net Friday night.  But I worry about the Tribes mindset going into this one.  So many hopes for last year and you played well this year, yet dropped two close games to Sevier Co. and SH, both winnable.  When I pick games, I usually look at defense first.  That edge appears to be in East's favor.  I also look at momentum.  That appears to be in East's favor.  Also, East is playing at home = advantage East.

Can some of you DB faithful give me some insight into the players mindset after the loss to SH.  I agree that DB can get to the third round,(oops sorry-second round) the question is will they?  If I were the coach, I would view getting to Maryville as going to the State Championship game! 

Edited by oldhick76

DB would of given Siegel or Whitehaven both a good game last year . I think they were the 4th best team no doubt in 6A . It really is a shame they lost their Qb last year , if they had someone who could of got the ball to Foreman in open space they would of been very hard to beat no doubt .

Edited by pepvol

Fellers this iz jist my opinyun......D-B haid a vurry good team laist yeer.....Mooved tha bawl on Mairvul vurry good (ov corse sevrull teams did thait laist yeer).....Foreman wuz tha faistest kid we plaid agin laist yeer (encludin' Mark Dodson)......Butt eye thaink tha reesun thait D-B haid trubble agin Mairvul laist yeer wuz on tha deefencesive side......Evur time D-B closed hit two a sangull TD gaim (two orr three times)..... Mairvul answered vurry qwicklee.....

Tha gaim wif MoEast ort two bee a good 'un......Tha RB att MoEast iz vurry good.....Saw him on tha Will-Yum Blunt reeplay wif Mike and tha Professur......D-B, two thair creditt, haz plaid a vurry tuff out ov districk schedull.......And thay haiv moore playoft speary-unce..... :popcorneater: