William Blount offseason thread

Governm

Making the playoffs with .500 records is not something to brag about. It's something the TSSAA does to make money off the unfortunate that is fixing to take a beating by a number one seed. The only two W.B. teams in those years that were decent was the 99 team with 8-4 record and the 07 team with 9-3 record. The W.B. team since 79 has a winning percentage around 37-38% and so did Everett. Also for some reason a handful of Everett Grads coached there which makes me think about that also.

Making the playoffs with .500 records is not something to brag about. It's something the TSSAA does to make money off the unfortunate that is fixing to take a beating by a number one seed. The only two W.B. teams in those years that were decent was the 99 team with 8-4 record and the 07 team with 9-3 record. The W.B. team since 79 has a winning percentage around 37-38% and so did Everett. Also for some reason a handful of Everett Grads coached there which makes me think about that also.

Things that make yo go hmmmmmmmm..

Making the playoffs with .500 records is not something to brag about. It's something the TSSAA does to make money off the unfortunate that is fixing to take a beating by a number one seed. The only two W.B. teams in those years that were decent was the 99 team with 8-4 record and the 07 team with 9-3 record. The W.B. team since 79 has a winning percentage around 37-38% and so did Everett. Also for some reason a handful of Everett Grads coached there which makes me

think about that also.

Tell that to the 2 WB teams that beat dobyns bennett when they were 10-0 and #1 in the state. So 5-5 or 6-4 isn't even decent to you? doesn't suprise me because you are a spoiled maryville fan. from where I'm sitting 5-5 or 6-4 is a very respectable record.

Not spoiled, very very fortunate for the situation that has happened up there over the last seventeen years and was very very fortunate to be involved in the program when it dominated in the seventies also. We grew up under Ted Wilson who had the best winning percentage of any coach in Tennessee until G.Q. broke that record. Watching that program go into a tail spin in the late eighties until the mid nineties was a very hard thing to swallow and part of that tail spin was two 5-5 teams which made me sick until this very day. From 1964 till today that was the worst two teams Maryville ever trotted out onto a football field.

Not spoiled, very very fortunate for the situation that has happened up there over the last seventeen years and was very very fortunate to be involved in the program when it dominated in the seventies also. We grew up under Ted Wilson who had the best winning percentage of any coach in Tennessee until G.Q. broke that record. Watching that program go into a tail spin in the late eighties until the mid nineties was a very hard thing to swallow and part of that tail spin was two 5-5 teams which made me sick until this very day. From 1964 till today that was the worst two teams Maryville ever trotted out onto a football field.

Well its all a matter of perspective. If you are used to going 10-0 every year 5-5 is a bad year. Objectively 5-5 or 6-4 is still a decent year. I am still scratching my head at you calling the 07 team

decent though.If a team that beat sevier county, dobyns bennett, ooltewah, oak ridge,and mcminn handily is a decent team I would hate to see a good team.

It all comes down to what you believe you can do. If you accept 5-5 as good then that is what you will always shoot for and anything more will be gravy. I can tell you this about Maryville. The kids that go through the feeder system are taught that early and parents want their kids to be apart of that and people get in line to get their kid on those teams. Some get turned away and for the most part I see those kids end up at Fairview but end up back at Maryville down the line someway or the other. I have watched friends and other coaches with those other teams fight to get enough players to even make a team and I hate seeing what comes next. The bad part or the dark side of Maryville Football is the fact that someone is going to get to play and someone isn't. That puts a lot of pressure on those young kids which come from parents that think their kid is the next Peyton Manning but he isn't being given his chance. I watch parents hold their kids back a grade just so they will have a better shot at playing football which in most cases is very selfish on that parent because it's a one in a hundred shot that kid would go any farther than high school football and you have robed  a year out of that kids life for your own selfishness. I see that more and more and that is a drawing line in my book.

Edited by BarneySox2007