East Nasville at CPA

Mr. Postman1

My bad Jett, I was trying to give him 3 losses to Milan instead of just two. Mapelwood is the only other loss.

And KRBKS....replacing a head coach is a tremendously difficult task. I am still friends with Jay and know personally that the administration and board went above and beyond to take care of him and help him transition financially and professionally. He ended up in a great place where he wanted to be. I am still in regular contact with him and know he's a very happy. He still has many friends in the CPA community. He never criticizes CPA or anything about his time there. He even sometimes blogs great positive stories about his ministry and coaching efforts. He is and was a great passing offensive minded coach. Hard to find a finer man and person. But to suggest he was mistreated in any way is simply not true. He was well cared for. I m sure like any human he was hurt and disappointed at first but he has long since moved on.

Your post is entirely accurate. I also know Jay well and he has had the wisdom and class to move on and understand that "all things work together for good". If only all would show that wisdom.

....replacing a head coach is a tremendously difficult task. I am still friends with Jay and know personally that the administration and board went above and beyond to take care of him and help him transition financially and professionally. He ended up in a great place where he wanted to be. I am still in regular contact with him and know he's a very happy. He still has many friends in the CPA community. He never criticizes CPA or anything about his time there. He even sometimes blogs great positive stories about his ministry and coaching efforts. He is and was a great passing offensive minded coach. Hard to find a finer man and person. But to suggest he was mistreated in any way is simply not true. He was well cared for. I m sure like any human he was hurt and disappointed at first but he has long since moved on.

Not suggesting anything.  I know Jay as well though I have not stayed in touch with him since he left Nashville.  Everything you say about him I know to be true.  My only point, any coach who honors the terms of his contract should never have to be concerned whether that contract will be re-newed or not.  Not saying a coaching change can never be made, but it is the adminsistration's responsibility to clearly communicate the criteria by which a coach will be judged so there are no surprises.  If you say it wasn't a surprise then once again you do not know as much as you think you do.

As a friend, I am a little surprised that you would post comparisons between the two.  I can't think of any coach who would appreciate that from a friend and I can guarantee you there are those who view that as a criticism.  If you make the case you are simply being honest because you do know certain facts, then at the minimum it should never be a problem to allow others to do the same whether you agree with them or not. 

Not suggesting anything.  I know Jay as well though I have not stayed in touch with him since he left Nashville.  Everything you say about him I know to be true.  My only point, any coach who honors the terms of his contract should never have to be concerned whether that contract will be re-newed or not.  Not saying a coaching change can never be made, but it is the adminsistration's responsibility to clearly communicate the criteria by which a coach will be judged so there are no surprises.  If you say it wasn't a surprise then once again you do not know as much as you think you do.

As a friend, I am a little surprised that you would post comparisons between the two.  I can't think of any coach who would appreciate that from a friend and I can guarantee you there are those who view that as a criticism.  If you make the case you are simply being honest because you do know certain facts, then at the minimum it should never be a problem to allow others to do the same whether you agree with them or not. 

I know Jay as well and stay in touch.  He is a class act, completely happy and still loves CPA and the friends he made.  Brooks you could learn something from him as to how he has acted since he left.

My bad Jett, I was trying to give him 3 losses to Milan instead of just two. Mapelwood is the only other loss.

And KRBKS....replacing a head coach is a tremendously difficult task. I am still friends with Jay and know personally that the administration and board went above and beyond to take care of him and help him transition financially and professionally. He ended up in a great place where he wanted to be. I am still in regular contact with him and know he's a very happy. He still has many friends in the CPA community. He never criticizes CPA or anything about his time there. He even sometimes blogs great positive stories about his ministry and coaching efforts. He is and was a great passing offensive minded coach. Hard to find a finer man and person. But to suggest he was mistreated in any way is simply not true. He was well cared for. I m sure like any human he was hurt and disappointed at first but he has long since moved on.

Jay Matthews is an example that we could all aspire to follow.

...I know Jay as well and stay in touch.  He is a class act, completely happy and still loves CPA and the friends he made.  Brooks you could learn something from him as to how he has acted since he left.

I am sure I could, but instead of worrying about me, why don't you share with him some of your more "intense" posts (for lack of a better term) and see what he thinks of those? 

I'll drive my Pacifica to CPA next week and park next to coachcraig's F-150 and hope to mingle with the everyone. Last year CPA's students did wear white garbage bags to the Cheatham County game to imply the term "white trash" that is commonly associated with folks from the rural country. I'm sure some were offended however I thought it was creative to say the least. What side of the tracks a person resides does not define who that person is overall.

Howdy, I was at that game and do not think you are accurate in your characterization. The theme was a white out and someone brought a box of white trash bags to wear for the white out. Since the weather was cold you would need to wear something over your coat. A lot of students had other white clothing other than trash bags. There was no offense intended toward CC and if anyone at CPA thought you would have been offended, they would have stepped in and ask the students not to. I don't think it crossed anyone's mind but yours.

KRBKS

My comparison of records was in the context of the allegations of illegal recruiting and simply making the point of the current staff's success is with the same caliber kids that have long been at CPA and weren't recruited. It was also to point out no one was accusing of CPA of recruiting when we had a losing record. It Was not a meant to be a criticism of the past staff but if someone chose to read it that way and was offended then I'm sorry.

It's never popular on here to say the reason CPA is winning now is because they outwork 99 percent of the programs out there. The new strength and conditioning program has helped take above average athletes and make them stronger, faster and given them more endurance in games. They practice longer, prepare better, and study more film than their opponents. They don't commit many turnovers, play disciplined defense, and are great in the kicking game.

But posting the truth is boring and doesn't get the attention that accusing them of illegal recruiting does so people will just continue to make baseless accusations to get the attention they are seeking.

KRBKS

My comparison of records was in the context of the allegations of illegal recruiting and simply making the point of the current staff's success is with the same caliber kids that have long been at CPA and weren't recruited. It was also to point out no one was accusing of CPA of recruiting when we had a losing record. It Was not a meant to be a criticism of the past staff but if someone chose to read it that way and was offended then I'm sorry.

It's never popular on here to say the reason CPA is winning now is because they outwork 99 percent of the programs out there. The new strength and conditioning program has helped take above average athletes and make them stronger, faster and given them more endurance in games. They practice longer, prepare better, and study more film than their opponents. They don't commit many turnovers, play disciplined defense, and are great in the kicking game.

But posting the truth is boring and doesn't get the attention that accusing them of illegal recruiting does so people will just continue to make baseless accusations to get the attention they are seeking.

+1

KRBKS

I understand the why, but I hope that we are now in agreement that referencing the past coach at a minimum lacks a needed sensitivity.  It is not necessary and the same argument can be made without it.  One should not forget, the main reason there were no accusations before was because it was not happening.  Success will always bring scrutiny which a Christian organization should welcome and be handled exactly the way you and coachrus (at least in this instance) have handled it by using the undeniable facts to make the case.  When you have the facts (not simply a possible explanation) along with credible sources supporting it, the allegations will not stick.  

On the flip side since the truth actually can stand on its own, simply grouping all accusations as baseless, get defensive, go on the attack, name call, insult people, making it personal instead of issue related, etc. will absolutely not work and hurts the testimony of the school.  Can’t resort to those types of tactics in the name of “defending the school.† Can’t let the heat of competition negate testimony and think the two can be separated, they cannot.  Like it or not, each parent and fan has that responsibility which I think you understand and at some level are even willing to admit not all are true representatives.  I understand that is not an easy step to take.  Hopefully, more will join in and begin to follow your lead. 

Edited by kbrks

Strength and Conditioning is it?  That's not it.  Look at Coach David Martins record at Public Schools and look at what he did at GP.  Did he work the GP kids harder than the Public school kids.  No.  You see Private Schools get the cream of the crop Coaches.  Stability in the players.  Better home life of players.  This means that they have them for four years.  Also there are ways of going to Non-Scolarship private schools with financial aid.  Work Grants and also Alumni paying the way of the Player.  Back several years ago when CPA was dominant, the Coach who I don't remember his name called Roger Perry at Portland to try to schedule Portland.  Coach Roger Perry told me with his own mouth that he asked CPA Coach this question? (How many D1 players did you have on your Team last year?  Note this was the team with Cooper Wallace.)  His reply was even 4 or 5.  Coach Perry responded that he has never Coached a D1 prospect at Portland.  That's right 0.  So he refused to play CPA.  Are you going to argue with Roger Perry's success and work ethic?