States best player ever ?

Playerscoach

Oh, and by the way, Karlie IS going to play for Ravenwood again this year even though she may have to miss the first 3 weeks of school as she is waiting for a call from the National Team to see if she will be travelling to South Korea.  Great to be back and ready for a great Fall High School Soccer season!!

Look what Booger found :shock: ........Coach T has just established a new forum section specifically dedicated to club/travel chit chat......check it out Playerscoach :thumb: 

http://www.coacht.com/boards/index.php/forum/111-tennessee/

CoachT.com Message Boards - Tennessee - Travel Teams: AAU, Club, et al - Womens Soccer Travel Teams - Tennessee Soccer Club

Aww thank you Booger. Maybe when there's a posting "specifically" about travel/club soccer I'll post there? Otherwise, when someone makes a comment in a thread I'll just respond there. You know, like in this case.

Thank you for the help though! 😄

As far as the post fr TN Soccer regarding a lack of bias it's very real and parents know it. When the state reps email and call about slights or parents with kids going to ACC schools say "my kid didn't get noticed until she played for an ECNL team" there's something wrong.

Take care folks and good luck Booger.

If the bias you are referring to is not getting noticed, I agree. But that is not a bias against TN. If you are suggesting that regional, national, and college coaches look at a player and say: well they are from Tennessee so we should stop looking, I vastly disagree. College coaches attend the top level events to see players perform, that is now more ECNL events instead of ODP, regionals, and nationals. The best way to evaluate talent is at those events because you can evaluate division 1 level talent surrounded by other divison 1 talent. Due to ECNL, club soccer doesn't offer the same thing due to an overall weaker pool of talent. Nearly every divison 1 offer I received was through first playing with some of regions 3's best teams in selective showcases, because that's where the best coaches came to evaluate. Naturally, if you play ECNL and are playing at events where ACC coaches attend, you are more likely to be seen. I don't see that as a surprise.

I mean look at the national tournament that is getting ready to kickoff. Only 4 teams from the ACC and SEC have sent women's coaches this year. 4! And they are some of the conferences weaker teams at that! That says A LOT about how they feel about evaluating talent in that setting. You may disagree with that, but that's how it is. The old national tournaments, only featuring the 4 region winners, were littered with the best coaches from every school in the ACC and SEC. Again, another example of why winning regionals can no longer be used as a measuring stick. Anyways, good luck in the upcoming season. Sorry Booger for continuing the topic but I felt a need to respond. Thanks.

• Upvote 1

Just my observation from ECNL attendance at U15 national championships....I saw teams from CA and TX play.  I was not overly impressed with the talent level of the players.  Sure there were a few players that clearly were gifted, but on the whole it was not overwhelming.  The top team from TX was not any better than some of the top U15 teams in TN.  The CFCA U15 girls that took second in the nation earlier this month would have faired well playing this top club team from TX.  Just like AAU basketball has been hi-jacked by money making exploiters ("exposure this and exposure that"), it appears this is where soccer is headed.

If a kid is a D1 athlete, works hard, and attends ID Camps of schools they would like to play for, they will get noticed.  They will get scholarships.   Spending tens of thousands of dollars to play on an out of town ECNL team is hard to justify.  Parents will end up spending more than any scholarship they will ever receive.

Just one soccer parents opinion.

Just my observation from ECNL attendance at U15 national championships....I saw teams from CA and TX play.  I was not overly impressed with the talent level of the players.  Sure there were a few players that clearly were gifted, but on the whole it was not overwhelming.  The top team from TX was not any better than some of the top U15 teams in TN.  The CFCA U15 girls that took second in the nation earlier this month would have faired well playing this top club team from TX.  Just like AAU basketball has been hi-jacked by money making exploiters ("exposure this and exposure that"), it appears this is where soccer is headed.

If a kid is a D1 athlete, works hard, and attends ID Camps of schools they would like to play for, they will get noticed.  They will get scholarships.   Spending tens of thousands of dollars to play on an out of town ECNL team is hard to justify.  Parents will end up spending more than any scholarship they will ever receive.

Just one soccer parents opinion.

Just curious - what was your impression of the college coach representation - ECNL vs Region 3 finals or US youth soccer nationals?  and be honest.

As for "high-jacking", I have experienced both US youth Soccer, region 3 and the first two years of the ECNL.  The ECNL was created and now flourishes because of the way US youth Soccer ran the program.  Don't believe for a minute that "highjacking" never occurred prior to ECNL.  i would argue that the number of players having access to quality events has increased because of the ECNL.  That's a good thing.

As for the cost, I've paid both and can tell you that the ECNL structure is clearly superior from a planning standpoint.  At tryouts, you are given a schedule for the next 12 months and it does not change.  I don't think you can say that about state league or region 3 pool play.  Many of those decisions were made the week of the game.

As for the cost, that really depends on the level of exposure a non-ECNL team wants.  A team can play all local tournaments and not spend a lot.  That's totally fine.  Or a team can compete in all the required events (plus other tournaments) to get to the US soccer "Nationals".  I suspect the total cost will be similar for an ECNL team and the one trying to get to US Soccer Nationals. 

From my overall experience, I found two critical differences. One, the overall quality of your ECNL games from your first game to your last is better - no if's and or buts.  Two, parents can actually plan their families life because you know the schedule.  I found that feature to be invaluable.

I am sure this never happens to anyone else..... but every once in a while, I shake my head after sending a response.  I regret to say that this is one of those occasions.  

Ladymustangcoach, congrats on the 2nd place finish in the President's cup nationals.  I know the girls played hard, played well and deserved to enjoy the moment - as they should.   a great time to be celebrated by everyone.

But comparing a 1-0-1 team in the D2 Tennessee state soccer tournament vs the ECNL finals is .....I dont even know what to say!

Go back and put your baseball coaching shorts back on (you know - the ones with the skoal ring) and try to continue to figure out the offsides rule in soccer.  Give it time, it will come to you.

Just curious - what was your impression of the college coach representation - ECNL vs Region 3 finals or US youth soccer nationals?  and be honest.

As for "high-jacking", I have experienced both US youth Soccer, region 3 and the first two years of the ECNL.  The ECNL was created and now flourishes because of the way US youth Soccer ran the program.  Don't believe for a minute that "highjacking" never occurred prior to ECNL.  i would argue that the number of players having access to quality events has increased because of the ECNL.  That's a good thing.

As for the cost, I've paid both and can tell you that the ECNL structure is clearly superior from a planning standpoint.  At tryouts, you are given a schedule for the next 12 months and it does not change.  I don't think you can say that about state league or region 3 pool play.  Many of those decisions were made the week of the game.

As for the cost, that really depends on the level of exposure a non-ECNL team wants.  A team can play all local tournaments and not spend a lot.  That's totally fine.  Or a team can compete in all the required events (plus other tournaments) to get to the US soccer "Nationals".  I suspect the total cost will be similar for an ECNL team and the one trying to get to US Soccer Nationals. 

From my overall experience, I found two critical differences. One, the overall quality of your ECNL games from your first game to your last is better - no if's and or buts.  Two, parents can actually plan their families life because you know the schedule.  I found that feature to be invaluable.

As for college coach presence, the games I watched had only parents watching the games.  The games were in Virginia, so families flew across the country to be there.  I did not see any identifiable coaches or a coaches area (other than away from the fields) where coaches could easily be identified.  Not saying there were not coaches at the tournament (sure there were many), but I have seen more coaches at a typical showcase tournament.

I was coming at the ECNL from an area where there are no ECNL clubs.  Players from our area that want to play with a ECNL team have to incur the additional costs of driving to two-three hours to participate.  Like most things, the kids from the bigger cities are going to have better access. 

You are correct on the quality of the tournaments.  Some do it much better than others.  My point was more from a "value perspective".  Why spend additional monies to travel to play on a ECNL club team?  Yes, my kid got a scholarship worth $40,000, but in 8 years of club soccer, private lessons, forgoing other sports, travel (avg tournament costs a family $250 in travel), etc., etc. you end up spending more than the scholarship.  And the facts are most kids get burned out, and even with a scholarship a large percentage don't play more than 2 years in college. 

Parents just need to go in with eyes wide open.  We are all proud when our kid makes the top team, is a starter, etc., but think it through before you push your kid to make 3 four hour roundtrip commutes a week to another city just to be on "that team".  Is it really worth it?  Is it necessary? 

Again, just one soccer persons perspective.....

"My point was more from a "value perspective".  Why spend additional monies to travel to play on a ECNL club team?  Yes......." 

Do all the other parents and especially the players a favor and don't project your "value perspective" on them.  I suspect they are more than able to make that call themselves.  

The CFCA team you referenced is interesting to me.  Based in Chattanooga, the players are within 2 hours of 4 ECNL teams (3 in Atlanta and one in Bham).  Given the success of the team, I suspect you have a couple of players looking at ECNL options.  Good for them!!  Most players don't improve by being the best on the field.  They improve by surrounding themselves with more talented players and maybe even having to fight for a starting position for the first time.  But the player and their parents will make that "value perspective" as it relates to their circumstances and I would hope the former coaches, teammates and parents encourage them after the decision is made.  Given your initial comments, I'd bet heavily that this is going on!!

Good grief Memphis. Do you really want to disagree that from a financial perspective the ROI is close for 95% of the patents with kids playing ECNL or high level travel clubs? I sure hope not because it's pretty easy math.

BTW my daughters team is in the national premier league and our cost is substantially less than the ECNL team she was asked to play for in Atlanta. We spend approximately $10,000 per year for her current team and the ECNL team required two additional trips out west plus four weekends of travel for league games.

There's no question from a dollars comparison that I'm spending more than she will receive in scholarship money. However, the memories, contacts and lessons learned may be priceless?

playerscoach, I think you will admit that what has happened in Nashville with TSC is unique and certainly took a lot of time to get there.  they won every state championship in D1 this year.  they certainly dominate the state now and I suspect the current players travel a bit to get to Nashville for their teams. players on the north side of the city generally did not play for brentwood sc.  they played for TN united and Harpeth.  Please don't forget that your daughter is benefiting from that structure that many fought hard to create.  The leadership at TSC should be applauded for giving you and your family a great option. 

But look around, most cities aren't structured that way. Nashville used to look like Memphis - very unorganized and teams playing for the "county championship".  The clubs here used to scoff at D2 - now most of their teams are playing in that division.  Knoxville combined long ago and benefited from it as well. 

I'm curious, has TSC ever applied for the ECNL and would you change clubs if they did?  I'm rooting for them to get in the ECNL - I think it would be the best thing for the players in Tennessee that would benefit from playing under the structure.   it's not right for everyone - that's ok.  Most ECNL clubs also offer non-ECNL teams for the players that don't want to travel that much.  now that's the way it should be!

our experience with 2 years of ECNL was $10 in scholarship for every $1 spent.  I certainly didn't spend $10,000 a year and may not have spent that over the 2 year period.  we actually did region 3 and ECNL the first year.  I really believe that more than 5% of the team had a better experience than you mentioned.  Overall, I feel very fortunate for the experience and would encourage all to pursue it if they think it's best.

one final thought - it's not always about the money.  some teams struggle with player numbers and that is certainly not TSC's issue.  playing tournaments with 12 players is tough especially when some were out a little late the night before.  priorities are different so it's very important to be on a team with "like minded" players.  do they want to play in college or do they want to be the best high school player they can be.  neither one is wrong but friction will come if the numbers don't lean one way or another.  one set needs to travel - the other group does not.  I suspect your TSC team does not have either issue - players are coming to you because of the clubs/teams success and most if not all want to play after high school.  Again, be thankful - your club unique.

Look what Booger found :shock: ........Coach T has just established a new forum section specifically dedicated to club/travel chit chat......check it out Playerscoach :thumb: 

http://www.coacht.com/boards/index.php/forum/111-tennessee/

CoachT.com Message Boards - Tennessee - Travel Teams: AAU, Club, et al - Womens Soccer Travel Teams - Tennessee Soccer Club

:popcorneater: