States best player ever ?

Playerscoach

From the TSC website.

Congratulations and Good Luck to Karlie Paschall on her move into the U17 Women's National Team. She will represent the United States when they go on to play China, Japan, and New Zealand in early February in California. Karlie plays for our U16 team and is coached by Ronnie Woodard.

The kid is u15 playing up on a u16 club team and is now on the u17 USA national team.

Thoughts?

I think that's awesome!!  thanks for the heads-up.  While she certainly did the work on the field, I think it illustrates the power of the consolidated club in Nashville - an organized club structure with knowledgable and connected folks can help players get to the next level.  Not saying that happened, but it didnt hurt.

As an example - look at the WPL draft last week.  Only TWO players were selected from the SEC.  A forward from Brazil (playing at ole miss) and a forward from Memphis (from Miss state).  Most in middle and east Tennesee have never heard of Elizabeth Sullivan, yet she was selected by Portland and will train/play with forwards Alex Morgan and candian NT captain Christine Sinclair.  Pretty cool!!  IMO, splintered clubs in west Tennessee barely had enough pull to get kids on the state ODP teams - which was not that challenging 8 to 10 years ago.  Players pretty much had to handle things themselves if they wanted to play outside Shelby county.  Club directors operated like it was 1990 and the world passed them by.  Congrats to the adults in the Nashville community for creating a vehicle that will only help their players!!

http://www.hailstate.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=16800&ATCLID=209376960

• 3 months later...

A little late back to the party, but I agree with Rex. For TN to consistently produce top talent, it needs to have an academy. TN can continue to produce good players the way it is now, but ECNL is the future.

What a great accomplishment to represent your country for Karlie, that must be an amazing feeling. Again, proceed cautiously with her as the states best female player ever. I know you mentioned Parlow earlier, but for Karlie to ever reach that level is against the odds. Parlow was a state champion in high school, national champion in college, a 2 time winner of the Hermann trophy at NC (the only other multiple winner was Mia Hamm for relevance), a 4 time first team college all-American, an Olympic champion, a World Cup champion, and I'm sure much more. I'm not sure if you realize how good Parlow was, maybe you do. She was one of probably the best 10 women's players in this country, ever. Those are lofty goals to surpass.

There have also been at least 5 players in boys and girls soccer over that 10-15 years that have seen youth national team appearances, none of which are seeing full national team action. To the best of my knowledge, none of them even played professionally either. Success early in your soccer is a great thing but it does not indicate that dominance will continue into the future. SomewhereInMemphis mentioned Sullivan, which is a great example. She may not have been seen as much or maybe she just developed later. Players peak at different times. Another example is Mark Sherrod. Never played on a national team, or a regional team I don't believe, and is having great success as a rookie with the Houston Dynamo. Meanwhile you have all these youth national team players who do not even make pro rosters, because they peaked early. It happens all the time.

I am not in any way trying to put a damper on anything she has accomplished or am I saying this will happen to her, because the accomplishment is TREMENDOUS and I don't think it will! But proclaiming or expecting her to be the states best player ever at such a young age when you have Cindy Parlow as a measuring stick is a lot to ask of a young player. I hope that she becomes a staple in US teams that win multiple world cups, nothing would make me or the state of TN more excited. The best of luck to her as she continues to grow and represent our state at the highest level!

Edited by SoccerInTennessee

• 4 weeks later...

Booger that's 3 NC tourneys in 3 years. Pretty compelling evidence. Right?

Booger can't deny that it is pretty darn compelling that what this TEAM of 16, 17, or 18 girls are doing year after year is ridiculously impressive. I think that is 3 or 4 straight TN State Championships that TEAM has won too. Booger is confident you will give us the exact number. Being a soccer parent, I am envious of their success. 

I know this thread was started with a target to one specific player and we get off track occasionally discussing the accolades of the U16 TEAM she plays with, which needs to be recognized. I am extremely excited for this young lady and look forward to following her career as she moves forward. Her future looks extremely bright and that resume appears as if it will only become more and more impressive. The way this team has performed and is continuing to perform since the merger, and even when they were Azzurri, could possibly provide opportunities and resumes to 4 or 5 young ladies who could lay claim to this title of BEST EVER before they are done. Booger just assumes that there are 4 or 5 girls off the 2012 Azzurri team that are still part of this little dynasty.

Best ever, I am not sure of...not yet by far.....there are lots of soccer to be played and there are other levels of soccer that her performances will have to based on; but she is definitely on a collision course down the road with an argument for the title if she does not run out of gas. I hope she and her teammates can go up to Maryland and perform up to and above the level of soccer that the other national qualifiers play; so they may finally bring home that National Title they have failed to win every year they have been. That title would be another feather in your hat to help support your argument in the coming years. Good Luck Girls!

Players coach, your initial question asked about Parlow. Everything I said was in response to the original post. If you are referring to only HS play, then sure maybe she is. I get the picture you have some affiliation with the club at the bare minimum so I get your stance, but try and see others opinions as well.

As far as best team, you are again asking an unanswerable question as I have said before. Making 3 national tournaments is awesome, but again, ECNL now exists. There are 20 ECNL clubs in region 3. If you honestly think that doesn't weaken the regional tournament A LOT, you are crazy. Teams that even made a regional semifinal in the past did it against everyone. It's not the same. If your still not convinced, look no further than the national team Karlie was called up to play with. Of the 54 pool players, 40 played for ECNL. That's a large majority. 9 of them hail from the traditional region 3 states, 8 of them play ECNL in Texas and Georgia among others. Those are facts that the traditional club regionals and nationals are no longer made up of the strongest teams or players. My point being- winning regionals 3 times is awesome. But who you are doing it against is the problem when trying to compare it to other years. Under the circumstances, it's not possible.

State's Best Ever....TBD, but last fall 2013 we had a freshman at Grace Christian Academy (Knoxville) that shattered 2 school records.  Scored 52 goals and 19 assists.  She also plays with FC Alliance Division 1 team that won state tournament. District 3A-AA MVP, 1st team all region....but got overlooked for all state. We lost in the region semis by eventual state champ Knox Catholic but she was only 1 of 3 players in class A-AA to have scored on them last fall. Well, she scored our only goal that night.

Remember the name...Allie Dunn. If she stays healthy she will be a legit D1 prospect. Not bad for a small HS with 314 students.

Players coach, your initial question asked about Parlow. Everything I said was in response to the original post. If you are referring to only HS play, then sure maybe she is. I get the picture you have some affiliation with the club at the bare minimum so I get your stance, but try and see others opinions as well.

As far as best team, you are again asking an unanswerable question as I have said before. Making 3 national tournaments is awesome, but again, ECNL now exists. There are 20 ECNL clubs in region 3. If you honestly think that doesn't weaken the regional tournament A LOT, you are crazy. Teams that even made a regional semifinal in the past did it against everyone. It's not the same. If your still not convinced, look no further than the national team Karlie was called up to play with. Of the 54 pool players, 40 played for ECNL. That's a large majority. 9 of them hail from the traditional region 3 states, 8 of them play ECNL in Texas and Georgia among others. Those are facts that the traditional club regionals and nationals are no longer made up of the strongest teams or players. My point being- winning regionals 3 times is awesome. But who you are doing it against is the problem when trying to compare it to other years. Under the circumstances, it's not possible.

Since you're talking about ECNL I'll give you some info. Many kids that play on Azzuri have been approached to play for ECNL clubs. The same can be said for the 01's at TSC. In fact, my daughter was asked numerous times to attend the tryouts for the best ECNL team in the region.

There is no doubt other states have taken notice that TN produces high level players. It shows in the head to head games with ECNL teams.

Inre the region and national teams I can say with 100% certainty there is bias against TN and for those "traditional" national team producing states. Regardless of how our players perform at ODP camps or ID camps they will continue to be overlooked until ECNL names a TN club. It's a fact. When the state rep and coaches email and call to apologize for slight at the region 3 camp they clearly know the bias is, and has been, present.

I'm gonna exit this topic with the statement that this team and players have accomplished a great deal and wish them the best of luck!

TN has produced top level talent for a long time, people here know that. US Soccer has a bias to keep TN players off the national team? Can't say I have heard that before. Seeing the number of players that have made national teams from the state in the last 10 years, I don't believe that. I know how ECNL works as well and I know how many good players are in this state. Again, my point that club field is weekend is a fact, not an opinion.

Best of luck to everyone in their upcoming high school seasons as well!