Division II-AA Quarterfinals

WesVLT

Imagine the semi-finals are ENS-BA, MUS-MBA.  Imagine the winners (whoever they are) playing for the championship on a Saturday afternoon at Vanderbilt.  Plenty of MUS grads here in Nashville, and plenty of fans/grads would make the trip from Memphis.  All the tailgating, the atmosphere.  All the young kids who could attend the game.  It would be a real event.

But why do that?  Let's play the game in a dilapidated stadium in the middle of nowhere in the middle of the week, in a town that couldn't care less about the teams involved.

My argument to the TSSAA brain trust would be, if the people of Cookeville want this game, then it's up to them to show up and support the game, and if they choose not to, then award the game to a community that will support it.  

AMEN

Imagine the semi-finals are ENS-BA, MUS-MBA.  Imagine the winners (whoever they are) playing for the championship on a Saturday afternoon at Vanderbilt.  Plenty of MUS grads here in Nashville, and plenty of fans/grads would make the trip from Memphis.  All the tailgating, the atmosphere.  All the young kids who could attend the game.  It would be a real event.

But why do that?  Let's play the game in a dilapidated stadium in the middle of nowhere in the middle of the week, in a town that couldn't care less about the teams involved.

My argument to the TSSAA brain trust would be, if the people of Cookeville want this game, then it's up to them to show up and support the game, and if they choose not to, then award the game to a community that will support it.

SPOT ON....Nothing like a 4 1/2 hour drive from Cookville to Memphis leaving at 11pm to be at work or school at 7:30am. Maybe the T$$AA gives out permission slips along with the state champion t-shirts for the student/athlete to skip class on Friday.

This is one of the best posts I've seen in my (too many) years on CoachT. The innovation on this particular board far outweighs the creativity of our league's governing body. If I were just a little less of a realist, I'd suggest we present some of these ideas to the DII committee. Unfortunately, I think we've all seen how hard it is for fresh ideas to survive the gauntlet of stagnancy that is the TSSAA.

I may be wrong but isn't Tennessee fairly unique here. The catholic schools in Cincinnati play for the same state championship as the publics ... Same with Kentucky .

Ohio has d1 and d2. So it's one thing to convince the teams in tn to break away but ky and Ohio privates do not have the same issue we have.

Putting the privates back with the public schools will NEVER happen for one reason. Once you create separation it's much harder to put it back together. Simply because it has created an environment where more and more people now, on the public side , look at the privates as having an unfair advantage. We are a whisper in the wind.

Just last week I was talking to the principal of a public school near gallatin who graduated from a private school and he said to me ...i will never play a private school because there is nothing for me to gain from it. I knew the reasons before he even mentioned them to me. That attitude is viral across the state.

Tssaa would rather deal with a dozen privates belly aching over the current system , versus the fallout from hundreds of public schools who would cry foul over the privates rejoining the quads in the playoffs.

Just run through the possible matchup if MUS - MBA - Ensworth - BA - Baylor and MCCallie were to play in 6a.

I can say with a great deal of certainly that MUS would come out of the west this year beating the pants off of any Memphis team including whitehaven.

Who in the east other than maryville would beat McCallie and Baylor ?

MBA - Ensworth and BA in the same quad with 7aaa... Can you imagine if not one public school from 7aaa made it past the 2nd round?

More than likely we would see a similar state championship to what we will see in d2 this year under the current format.

This is all political suicide for the tssaa . Both solutions sound great but would be next to impossible to implement. The league Wes has talked about is more doable but not easy. The privates are just too small, too unimportant , and anything creative that works for both sides would require a level of brainpower and selling of compromise. Separation was the dumbest but easiest thing to do and it had the least political fallout of any of the other possibilities.

This is in no way meant to take a shot at public

School football in this state but the reality is only maryville , and a handful of teams from around Tennessee each year would have a shot at beating the best from d2 in the playoffs or a championship game. It would be a fun game to watch but not without a lot of ill will from a majority on the public side who were beaten along the way.

This is one of the best posts I've seen in my (too many) years on CoachT. The innovation on this particular board far outweighs the creativity of our league's governing body. If I were just a little less of a realist, I'd suggest we present some of these ideas to the DII committee. Unfortunately, I think we've all seen how hard it is for fresh ideas to survive the gauntlet of stagnancy that is the TSSAA.

Edited by baylorbigdog1976
  • Upvote 1

I'm with you all around.  We are never, ever going back to the old system, however appealing it might be.  For starters, once the split happened, the TSSAA (as a concession to the privates) lifted the quota on the # of financial aid recipients that could dress out for varsity sports.  The #'s needless to say are WAAAAY higher than they used to be, and the privates won't have any desire to go back to the old system.

AS for splitting off...I don't see that either.  Once it happened, that would permanently end any d1-d2 games in the state. Maybe for some that could work for football, but you are talking about tons of other sports that would be affected.

What bothers me at this point isn't the system we have, but the fact that every single time we are the ones who get the short end of the stick.  And we are powerless to do anything about it.  Someone has to play a state title basketball game at 9:00 AM at Lipscomb?  Let the privates do it.  Someone has to play a state title football game at Vanderbilt on Tuesday night?  Let the privates do it.   Someone has to play on Thursday night in freaking Cookeville?  Let the privates do it.  WE CAN FIGURE THIS STUFF OUT BETTER THAN THOSE DIMWITS AT THE TSSAA CAN!

How about, given the fact that WE ALWAYS GET SCREWED, the TSSAA lets us decide for ourselves how/when to stage championship games.  Instead of playing at Lipscomb at 9:00 in the morning, we'll work something out with another venue to play at a reasonable time.  Ditto for football.

End of rant...just sickens me to see such a great opportunity go to waste here...especially for Nashville to miss out.

• Upvote 2

Prediction: Ensworth 41, Christian Brothers 7

Prediction: Brentwood Academy 46, Briarcrest 13

Prediction: MBA 24, Baylor 17

Prediction: MUS 34, McCallie 24

"COME ON MAN".....Vegas would be proud of you WesVLT. Your only hippcup was the MBA/Baylor spread of MBA +7, actually it was +21.

We are all waiting for Carnac the Magnificent's semi preview.

What bothers me at this point isn't the system we have, but the fact that every single time we are the ones who get the short end of the stick.  And we are powerless to do anything about it.  Someone has to play a state title basketball game at 9:00 AM at Lipscomb?  Let the privates do it.  Someone has to play a state title football game at Vanderbilt on Tuesday night?  Let the privates do it.   Someone has to play on Thursday night in freaking Cookeville?  Let the privates do it.  WE CAN FIGURE THIS STUFF OUT BETTER THAN THOSE DIMWITS AT THE TSSAA CAN!

How about, given the fact that WE ALWAYS GET SCREWED, the TSSAA lets us decide for ourselves how/when to stage championship games.  Instead of playing at Lipscomb at 9:00 in the morning, we'll work something out with another venue to play at a reasonable time.  Ditto for football.

End of rant...just sickens me to see such a great opportunity go to waste here...especially for Nashville to miss out.

The DII baseball state championship tournament has been played at Wilson-Central HS up until last year while DI played at MTSU. Played during the school day so parking was nil. The Nashville Sounds stadium was empty that week also.

"COME ON MAN".....Vegas would be proud of you WesVLT. Your only hippcup was the MBA/Baylor spread of MBA +7, actually it was +21.

We are all waiting for Carnac the Magnificent's semi preview.

Ha! The quarterfinals are easy for anyone. This year's semis will be tougher to predict than Tennessee fall weather.

First of all I agree with you guys on the tssaa has no respect for the d2 schools.....the best league in the state and the championship game is being played on a Thursday night ,what a joke. I am a McCallie fan and was at the game against MUS in Memphis on Friday night. Mccallie clearly was the better team and outplayed mus. The officials were the worst I have seen in 30 years of watching high school football. MUS was awarded a touchdown clearly after the qb was sacked and the play should have been blown dead. The line judge on MUS side called 3 holding penalties after mccallie had converted 3rd and long situations. The mccallie boys played their hearts out and did all this with their qb and leading receiver out with knee injuries. MUS should feel very lucky to have advanced. If this game would have been played in Chattanooga ....mccallie would have won by 2 tds. Their needs to be some cross-overs game played in d2 aa during regular season. The west teams like MUS need to earn their number 1 seed and home field advantage.