What is up at Waverly?

PR25

• 2 weeks later...

It may be in our best interest to hire the middle school coach so that it may stop the pipeline to Ensworth he has created. We have lost a couple of pretty good players from Waverly. We may lose some more because our middle school team was pretty good again this past season, with good players. Good luck to Coach Graves. He is a fine man.

Hahahaha this is hilarious. Not meaning to down you gridiron but Jammie McCloud is not the reasoning for this success and if he had became our head coach instead of Coach McConnell Waverly would had been looking forward to 0-10 1-9 seasons. Coach Graves was a father figure to me and made me the player I was and he had just as much success in Junior High as McCloud has. It's just Waverly as a school didn't (until this year I hope) have much Motivation to play football. We had tons of athletes walking through the halls that could had made us very successful but we didn't have much support to cause motivation to play. Coach Graves is a class-act and a talented coach just didn't have the talent. You are talking about bringing McCloud to the high school to stop the "pipeline" to Ensworth. It's his son who is going to Ensworth. When I talk to McCloud about it he gleefully told me his son would not be attending Waverly Central High School. Either way it goes we got a good year a-Coming.

Seriously, you people don't know what you are talking about. I have personally heard the middle school coach encourage his players to play at the high school, year after year. One player is currently playing at Ensworth instead of Waverly. ONE! What parent wouldn't take advantage of that opportunity? One player would not make that big of a difference at this stage.

The coaches in all sports sacrifice so much in their personal lives and with their families so that other kids in other families have the opportunity to play a sport. Yet, you people talk out of turn about things you know nothing about or speculate and make up the rest. Why can't you all support these men and women who give so much and get so little in return instead of resorting to these smear campaigns. Shame on you!

If you are from Waverly you know exactly who this commenter is...... Who else is gonna support Houston county and Waverly. "Cough cough" Mrs McCloud.....

The Middle School coach is fine. His son is a 6'4-6'6 300+ pound tackle at Ensworth. Ensworth offered a football spot and he accepted. The only other kid to go there from Waverly went for Academics! he came back last year and was one of their starting cornerbacks and wide receivers. The problem at Waverly has absolutely nothing to do with the middle school coach, and I would argue it had nothing to do with Coach Graves. When your starting safeties and corners run 4.9 to 5.1 40 times (maybe slower), you're in trouble. When you're best quarterback option on the team is a freshman who has played the spot for one year, and has little to no mobility, you're in trouble. The linebackers were all 140-180 pounds except for one or two kids, and they are not fast either. When some of your best athletes in the school decide to play basketball only or basketball and baseball only, you're in trouble. Coach Graves was about as much of a players coach as there is so I know that is not why kids didn't play. He is a great guy, and does not deserve the crap he received the past year at Waverly. There are several factors going on, but overall lack of talent is the biggest issue, BY FAR.

As for the timetable fballtime, I'd say it will be a few weeks,but that is just my guess.

You are definitely right. Coach Graves is not the reasoning that students don't play for the school. If anything he was the reason we had as many players as we did. I saw a player my senior year literally jump in Coach Graves face and cuss him and TG told him to leave and never come back and Coach Graves had a talk with the student and he was back on the practice field the next day. Coach Graves allowed many players including myself to skip out on spring/summer workouts and let them stay on the team. They were low on the depth Chart to start out pre-Season but he gave them a chance to re-deem themselves. One of our Quarterbacks skipped all of Training camp and decided to come back at the beginning of the year and TG let the team vote rather or not to allow him to play. I had 6 different head coaches during the years I played. From 3 different states (one including Texas) and TG is by far the best coach I had. I haven't read through this thread all the way yet and I'm sure somebody has already mentioned this and have they not I will. Coach Graves was not and never would have been forced out of the job of football coach. He was well liked by the players who were not selfish and had the right mindset and he was a great role model. Coach Graves resigned from the job because of great intensity that should had been pointed in another direction that was pointed at him and because his two well disciplined kids are getting older and he wanted to focus on them. Coach Graves you will always be one of my hero!

Sorry but even though it isn't mandatory any more Camden still drug tests...Cheerleaders, Jr. High players, basketball teams and yes the Football team...and they also random test them.The cost for doing so is high in dollars and sometimes players. Lost one of the best RBs in the state in 2011 because of it..His senior Year wiped out. All because we still do something, not because we have too, but because its the right thing to do. NEXT excuse please?

Sorry but even though it isn't mandatory any more Camden still drug tests...Cheerleaders, Jr. High players, basketball teams and yes the Football team...and they also random test them.The cost for doing so is high in dollars and sometimes players. Lost one of the best RBs in the state in 2011 because of it..His senior Year wiped out. All because we still do something, not because we have too, but because its the right thing to do. NEXT excuse please?

You mind naming that player? I don't recall that situation....! And I will gleefully call BULLCRAP on the random drug test on everybody. I played ball against Camden and not everybody on the dab blame team is that BIG. Not unless they were all recruited.

There have been a lot of great Camden-Waverly games over the past years. One year we were at Waverly down 0-7 at the half. Late in the fourth quarter we scored in the south end zone and went for two. Won the game 8-7. I also remember one year when the Blue White Fight boys beat us 3-0 in a slobber knocker. After that year, both schools started letting the opposing school's teachers in free to help keep order in the stands.

My junior year the standing in the district finished where the Waverly/Camden game would decide the district Champs. In the fourth Quarter it was 20-28 with Camden Leading. There was a controversial call that caused us not to score. Camden went down and scored to make it 20-35. We drove again and The Ghoul looking dude for Camden picked it off for a pick-6 to end the game 20-42. It was a great game.

There have been a lot of great Camden-Waverly games over the past years. One year we were at Waverly down 0-7 at the half. Late in the fourth quarter we scored in the south end zone and went for two. Won the game 8-7. I also remember one year when the Blue White Fight boys beat us 3-0 in a slobber knocker. After that year, both schools started letting the opposing school's teachers in free to help keep order in the stands.

My junior year the standing in the district finished where the Waverly/Camden game would decide the district Champs. In the fourth Quarter it was 20-28 with Camden Leading. There was a controversial call that caused us not to score. Camden went down and scored to make it 20-35. We drove again and The Ghoul looking dude for Camden picked it off for a pick-6 to end the game 20-42. It was a great game.

Just telling you what i was told by one of YOUR parents.Be mad at him.[/quoteLOL I'm not mad at anyone sir, I'm just telling you we only have freshmen play in freshmen games! Like I said, we have over 30 freshmen and over 80 total players!

Look I'm not trying to flare up with Lewis county folks cause I respect you all, but I work where your boys came in to eat after a scrimmage and you have no where near 80 players on your roster. I know it was Lewis County because I risked my job to shake the Bobby Sharps hand.

You mind naming that player? I don't recall that situation....! And I will gleefully call BULLCRAP on the random drug test on everybody. I played ball against Camden and not everybody on the dab blame team is that BIG. Not unless they were all recruited.

No I will not name the player that's not my place and I am not entirely sure legal ...and yes there are random drug tests at Camden. If you really want to know the player look at our 2009 2010 roster he was listed as a RB both years sophomore then Junior then isnt  there as a senior..They gave him the option to go to rehab and be tested weekly he chose to be dismissed from the team instead leaving Trey white to carry the load  You can do whatever you want to gleefully..You are about to see your own teams size and strength go up dramatically now that you have a proper off season weight and conditioning program... have a good injury free season and be careful in your travels.