2013 Arby's Classic Tournament (Dates, teams, and Bracket)

MrTSSAA

Mentor (OH), the defending big school state champs, got their butts handed to them tonight.  Wow.  In the previous three seasons of the Arby's Classic, Mentor's average margin of victory in the first few rounds in the last three Arby's was probably 20+.  I said before the game this was going to be the toughest first round opponent Mentor has seen in their four years at the Arby's.  

Good win for Oak Ridge.  It is a good omen.  Mentor is 9-3 in their first three years at the Arby's.  All three losses were to the eventual champs.   

Looks like your boys have got DB in the morning. They've got a lot of talent but just can't seem to get it together. They're currently on a 4 game losing streak. However, those loses come to some very good teams. They played Oak Ridge pretty close about a week ago, lost by 10. They've got good post-players but if you can hold them in check, you should be alright.

You're welcome bud. Thank for the props to Oak Ridge. Coming from a Science Hill fan that means a lot in and of itself. I remember my dad taking me to an OR game as a youngster when we played SH. I remember him saying (now this is the team we should strive to be like, speaking of SH) That was when Pitts was still coach. I'll never forget him saying that. We have a lot of respect for your program there.

Thanks. Pitts is a legend. I've honestly never seen a better coach at the high school level. Sure, he had a lot of talent to work with but those teams were phenomenal because they had a phenomenal leader. Those 90s/early 2000s teams of SH were really something special.

Wouldn't shock me at all if D-B plays Mentor tough or beats them. D-B is tough.

Wouldn't shock me at all either. They gave Science Hill a very good game a few weeks ago. We came out with the W but they still gave us all we could handle. Then again, they're our rivals so they usually play us tough. 

DB's main problem is turnovers. They're really bad about turning the ball over at critical moments in the game. They're also very inconsistent. One game they come out and play real hard and with a lot of enthusiasm. The next, it's like they don't even care if they win or lose. That falls on the coaches for not always having them prepared. Another big factor for them is that their best player isn't even playing right now. He's not allowed to play until after the New Year, from what I've heard.

Well, that would be like us having Merrian out, so that's a big deal. I know everyone was picking them to win the big7 this year, but it looks like your Hilltoppers once again. I think DB needs a new coach, hate to say.

The kid their missing is a very good player but his absence is no excuse for the mediocre season the Indians are currently having. They've still got a lot of talent on that team. This is easily the most talented team they've had in 10-15 years. They should be coasting through their own conference. Instead, they have losses to Science Hill and TN High and barely escaped Crockett. I've been saying for a while that the Indians need a new coach. Charlie Morgan is a good guy but the fact that he continues to produce average teams with all the talent he has over there every year is a shame. This season is just more proof of the coaching problem. He's got twice the talent that anyone else in the conference has and his team is currently sitting at 5-7. Give this same group to Coach Cutlip at SH or Coach Good at Crockett and they'd be 9-3 or 8-4 at the very least.

Edited by AlumnI01
  • Upvote 1

If OR plays like they did last night against Mentor, they will be headed for Murfreesboro, that's a for sure. They handled the ball, played defense, rebounded and shot extremely well. OR coach Green totally in the game with encouragement and passion. Some don't like that kind of style but I do. His kids play hard and would run through the wall for him. DB is totally missing this, make 1 mistake and you're coming out. The kids play tight and are scared and are afraid to make a mistake. This only creates tension and leads to more errors. Situational basketball like taking a time out when teams are making a run, designing late game scoring plays or knowing who to put in at certain situations have escaped us.

Edited by DBIndianKMA

Oak Ridge out "Mentor'd" Mentor last night. Their pressure turned Mentor over too many times and OR contested nearly every shot. Oak Ridge's guards did an excellent job handling the defensive pressure of Mentor. #33 Is a beast for OR but I felt like the difference in the game was the guard play of #2. He was aggressive with the ball and didn't turn it over.