DII-AA Semifinals

WesVLT

If you're a fan of top-shelf prep football, you live for Fridays like this. Only three games remain in the DII-AA season, and this week's pair are as uncertain and crucial as we've seen all year.

Brentwood Academy at Ensworth

The Eagles won this game 36-10 three weeks ago, their first win over the Tigers since 2008. That win was fueled by six Ensworth turnovers, including four interceptions thrown by quarterback P.J. Settles. Settles missed last week's 40-11 win over Christian Brothers with an injury. So did star running back D'Andre Ferby. Even with those two in the lineup, the Tigers only managed 227 total yards and 11 first downs against the Eagles.

But here's another stat for you: No team has ever beaten Ensworth twice in the same season. Since 2010, the Tigers are 9-0 in playoff rematches, including two wins over teams that had beaten them earlier in the year. That fact, coupled with the low odds of Ensworth turning it over six times again, point to a closer game this time around.

Brentwood Academy is clicking at the right time. The Eagles posted 458 yards of offense (299 in the first half) against an outmatched Briarcrest team Friday en route to a 41-6 win. BA has scored 36 points or more in each of its last six games -- four of which were against teams that ended up winning at least one playoff game. Tyler Swafford's 27 touchdown passes are the most for BA in more than a decade -- and second place isn't close. Defensively, the Eagles are surrendering only 10 points per game in the second half of the season.

How does the rematch differ from the first meeting? Ensworth will surely take care of the ball better -- it doesn't take much to improve on six turnovers. Without any inside knowledge, I'll assume Settles and Ferby will play, but will they be limited? That will be a big factor.

Ensworth must be able to either control the line of scrimmage better or throw the ball effectively. They did neither of those things in the first game against BA. If they can run the ball more consistently and keep the BA offense in check, the Tigers can play a ball-control game and win a low-scoring affair. If the game becomes a shootout, it plays right into the Eagles' hands. 

I'm interested in hearing your predictions, but since I'll be calling the game I'm hesitant to make my own pick. 

MBA at MUS

These two Super Seven originals meet for the first time since 2009. Interestingly, the Owls have won the last six matchups with the Big Red dating back to 2004. MBA cruised past Baylor in easier-than-expected fashion last week, beating the Red Raiders by its largest margin (21) since 2007. MUS outlasted a resurgent McCallie team to raise its win streak to eight. 

Now here's the question: How will the Owls respond to the loss of Colton Neel? The team's leading rusher (1,014 yards and 24 TDs) and kick returner is reportedly out with an injury. Can MUS find someone to bear the burden of replacing an irreplaceable offensive weapon? Further, can it contain MBA's power rushing attack, which carried the ball 47 times against Baylor? 

Either team could win this game and none of us would be surprised. MUS's spread attack has found its groove and its defense is playing well. MBA can run the ball as well as anyone in the state. MUS being without its best player breaks the tie in my mind. 

Prediction: MBA 24, MUS 20

What are your thoughts on these superb matchups?

I've lurked around this site for a while and never posted.  We don't get a lot of E/M Tennessee info in Memphis and I always appreciate the posts about teams from regions other than west region.

I wish there was a way to be at both of these games on Friday night as I think both will be outstanding!

I'm an MUS supporter and will be in attendance at the MUS-MBA game and would really enjoy any "non-classified" information on MBA.  Obviously Big Red have had a magnificent season to-date but any other info on players to watch, strengths of the team, etc. that would enhance the viewing pleasure on Friday night would be appreciated.

Here's hoping that both games are hard-fought, well-played, and most importantly injury-free on Friday night.  Good luck to all 4 teams (maybe just a little more luck to the Owls....)

• Upvote 1

I like Brentwood in an upset- they are peaking at the right time- 36-24. I'll give MUS the edge in a close one due to Wunderlich- 19-14.

Good picks, but should one consider a BA win over Ensworth an upset at this point, given the Eagles' four-score win over the Tigers three weeks ago? I ask not as a point of criticism, but as a legitimate question, because I've seen similar sentiments elsewhere. There's no doubt that a second Eagle win over Ensworth would be a major accomplishment, but do people consider the Tigers to be the favorite? As a BA insider, I'm interested in outside perception of this game.

I've lurked around this site for a while and never posted.  We don't get a lot of E/M Tennessee info in Memphis and I always appreciate the posts about teams from regions other than west region.

I wish there was a way to be at both of these games on Friday night as I think both will be outstanding!

I'm an MUS supporter and will be in attendance at the MUS-MBA game and would really enjoy any "non-classified" information on MBA.  Obviously Big Red have had a magnificent season to-date but any other info on players to watch, strengths of the team, etc. that would enhance the viewing pleasure on Friday night would be appreciated.

Here's hoping that both games are hard-fought, well-played, and most importantly injury-free on Friday night.  Good luck to all 4 teams (maybe just a little more luck to the Owls....)

Glad you posted! Unless someone gives you quicker info than I can, I'll post a basic breakdown of the Big Red tomorrow. It should be a great game, and if you figure out a way to clone yourself Friday, please share the technology with me.

My thoughts exactly

BA versus MBA in another rematch

BA wins first state championship in a long time

Ensworth has never lost twice to the same team in one season until Friday night.

BA wins a close one. Coach Ricky will emphasis turnover mistakes from 1st meeting, making this game close.

MBA will dominate MUS and will win big setting up an all Nashville DII championship game in Cookville against BA.

If MBA does dominate MUS it will be only because Colton Neel is out. MUS at full strength would make this the best game of the weekend- it may still be if MUS D steps up. BA already dominated Ensworth so you can't say that is best game scheduled. It sounds like some may be disrespecting MUS because of weak opponents in last few weeks but they can only play who's scheduled and those games were over by halftime with the JV playing rest of game. MUS did lose badly to BA in week 1 on road but they are a drastically different team now- I think 4 QBs may have played for MUS in that one. The game that stands out to me is MBA vs MCCALLIE where MBA won 38-34. I saw the MUS vs Mccallie game and granted mccallie was w/out QB but MUS was clearly the better team. Based on Mccallie line play & size I like MUS to match up well with MBA across the front. Not to say that MUS is as big as MBA but MUS does have good size across the front. So, MUS should be able to move the ball. I see a low scoring game with 3-4 FGs by MUS kicker. 19-14 MUS

MBA and MUS are similar teams but personally I think MBA has slightly better players on average this year but who knows. It MUS plays like they did against a panola they can beat MBA . If they play like they did against BA they will not win.

If MBA does dominate MUS it will be only because Colton Neel is out. MUS at full strength would make this the best game of the weekend- it may still be if MUS D steps up. BA already dominated Ensworth so you can't say that is best game scheduled. It sounds like some may be disrespecting MUS because of weak opponents in last few weeks but they can only play who's scheduled and those games were over by halftime with the JV playing rest of game. MUS did lose badly to BA in week 1 on road but they are a drastically different team now- I think 4 QBs may have played for MUS in that one. The game that stands out to me is MBA vs MCCALLIE where MBA won 38-34. I saw the MUS vs Mccallie game and granted mccallie was w/out QB but MUS was clearly the better team. Based on Mccallie line play & size I like MUS to match up well with MBA across the front. Not to say that MUS is as big as MBA but MUS does have good size across the front. So, MUS should be able to move the ball. I see a low scoring game with 3-4 FGs by MUS kicker. 19-14 MUS

Edited by baylorbigdog1976

My thoughts exactly

BA versus MBA in another rematch

BA wins first state championship in a long time

I'd like to be optimistic but i came away with some concerns from the B-crest game namely the mid to long range passing game, and going thru the correct progressions but more importantly special teams play.  And that was against B-crest. Ricky saw all of that also. Weather is also saying rain fri nite so that makes the passing game harder.  we'll see - will come down to the wire i think fri nite.