DII-AA Semifinals

WesVLT

My two cents...MBA has the talent to beat MUS, but MUS is one school that seems to have MBA's number, regardless of how the talent shakes out. My limited perception of MUS is that they're very well disciplined and well coached, and manage to get better results than their talent would suggest. This becomes a major issue when one considers that they're generally pretty talented. I'm hopeful, but an MBA loss wouldn't really shock me.

I hope you have a chance to watch the game. While true that MBA has more "better" or D1 caliber players, I think MUS probably won the overall numbers game for "good" players.  I'm pretty sure that MBA's "Big 3" and several others played "on both sides" i.e. the entire game and got a little worn out.  MUS was missing both its experienced RBs and had to throw a lot of passes, which lengthened the game.  MUS has few players that do "double duty" and even then rotate them so they get some breathers.  In MUS' best years, they "platoon" totally.

MUS does indeed seem to have "MBA's number."  I belive their best record against E/M teams since "the split" amazingly is against MBA.

Edited by owlbooster

I hope you have a chance to watch the game. While true that MBA has more "better" or D1 caliber players, I think MUS probably won the overall numbers game for "good" players.  I'm pretty sure that MBA's "Big 3" and several others played "on both sides" i.e. the entire game and got a little worn out.  MUS was missing both its experienced RBs and had to throw a lot of passes, which lengthened the game.  MUS has few players that do "double duty" and even then rotate them so they get some breathers.  In MUS' best years, they "platoon" totally.

MUS does indeed seem to have "MBA's number."  I belive their best record against E/M teams since "the split" amazingly is against MBA.

I watched the whole painful affair. MBA has played its big men both ways all season, with liberal substitution. The major problem was the inability to make a stop in the second half, thus leaving the defense on the field the whole time. Even MBA's touchdown, while a good thing, forced the defense right back onto the field. And while an 80 yd TD pass is debilitating, returning the kickoff inside the MBA 30 probably eased the pain quite a bit.

For my money, the two facemask penalties, especially the second one, were devastating. Like Ensworth, MUS is dangerous enough on their own: you don't need to help them.

I'm not much of a "moral victory" man, but I was pleased at MBA's final drive. Nothing came of it, but it was poised and well executed. You can criticize aspects of MBA's play, but not their effort.

As to records, "Roll Red Roll" is the gold standard on that issue, but I believe MUS is one of very few opponents MBA has played with some regularity who has a winning record against us.

Good luck to both teams...should be a good one.

I'm not much of a "moral victory" man, but I was pleased at MBA's final drive. Nothing came of it, but it was poised and well executed.

Yes it was.  I can tell you my heart was racing and my stomach was churning during that drive.

BTW on the broadcast you can hear former defensive coordinator Coach Barry Ray lamenting the "prevent defense" as a "prevent you from winning defense" and voicing that he wished MUS were playing the straight up defense that had been working up until then. I tend to agree. MBA seized the opportunity and came within a whisker of pulling off the comeback.

Edited by owlbooster

I watched the whole painful affair. MBA has played its big men both ways all season, with liberal substitution. The major problem was the inability to make a stop in the second half, thus leaving the defense on the field the whole time. Even MBA's touchdown, while a good thing, forced the defense right back onto the field. And while an 80 yd TD pass is debilitating, returning the kickoff inside the MBA 30 probably eased the pain quite a bit.

For my money, the two facemask penalties, especially the second one, were devastating. Like Ensworth, MUS is dangerous enough on their own: you don't need to help them.

I'm not much of a "moral victory" man, but I was pleased at MBA's final drive. Nothing came of it, but it was poised and well executed. You can criticize aspects of MBA's play, but not their effort.

As to records, "Roll Red Roll" is the gold standard on that issue, but I believe MUS is one of very few opponents MBA has played with some regularity who has a winning record against us.

Good luck to both teams...should be a good one.

MUS leads 12-6.  MBA was up 6-5 after 2003 but has lost seven in a row to make it 6-12. MUS does have MBA's number. People may think I'm crazy, but for me, MUS is the team I want to beat the most, not BA or EHS.  It's all borne out of respect for the school, some of the guys I know from the school, but probably mostly from the fact that if you had to pick two schools in the league who are carbon copies of each other - enrollment, single-sex, National Merit and college matriculation stats, ages of the school (both have pre-1900 roots), etc. - I'm not sure there are two schools in the league as similar as MUS and MBA.

I was at the game with an MUS alum from Nashville (and who also is now an MBA father).  After the 80-yard bomb to make it 17-3, we left.  It wasn't so much that we thought the game was over (obviously it wasn't) but we were freezing our wimpy butts off and interested in finding some libations not served at the concession stands.  We did watch on our phones, though, and given the outcome, I'm glad I at least watched the end in warmth and with some soothing beverage.

Losses like this used to haunt me for days, weeks, months.  Now they are fleeting.  I mourned for about 10 minutes and then moved on, enjoying my Owl company are post-game toasts. Oh, I still care, but I love MBA, win or lose, thick or thin.

Great season.  RRR

• Upvote 1

Congratulations to Ensworth and MUS on their state title berths. I look forward to watching them clash and will root for a safe, exciting game.

After that, most of us will take a break until next season. I don't plan on posting much this offseason -- I'm finishing my MBA and will (hopefully) start a full-time job in the next several weeks. Thanks to all of you for the lively discussion this Fall. I hope all of you enjoy a safe and enjoyable offseason. Barring occasional discussion, I'll see you guys in late July!

Also, if anyone has any leads on marketing or PR opportunities, I'm in the market. Thanks!

Edited by WesVLT