Alcoa v. CPA 3A Championship

Didn't sound like they picked any team. They just talked about what CPA fans, players and coaches must have thought after hearing the Alcoa/Upperman score. We're not buying what you're selling!

Mo Patton predicted Alcoa 42 - CPA 31 in the Tennessean this morning. However, given his past record in picking against CPA in big games, this is not surprising. In fact I'd be more concerned if he picked CPA. This is a good sign!

I think I remember another undefeated team talking big before they played Alcoa last week. And then they realized what real football was! Go Tornadoes!!

What's a rosy......uh never mind.

Not sure that I've heard anything this week from CPA fans but a lot of respect for the Alcoa powerhouse and program. I can't speak for other undefeated teams you've played. Alcoa is picked by most (90%+) so it would take a huge upset by CPA to pull out a W. Stranger things have happened. Even heard about a team winning on a Hail Mary one week and a missed FG return with one second left on the clock the next. You never know.......

Edited by coachrus

I took a few minutes and watched some highlights of Alcoa...impressive! Alcoa will be the most physical team CPA has played this year.  Alcoa is very talented. #'s 1,2,23,42,57, and 85 jumped out at me on the film I watched.  They have other talented players like #21 but those I listed are the ones that jumped out at me. 

#42 and #57 are very disruptive in the middle. #1 is big and strong and has the arm strength to get the ball down the field to some talented receivers in #23 and #85.  #2 is also big and strong yet elusive enough to make people miss and can take it to the house from anywhere on the field.  Stopping #1 and #2 running the ball will most certainly be a major focus of the CPA defense.  If I were the coach I would rather force #1 to beat us with his arm in poor weather than let them line up and run over you. 

The CPA OL vs the Alcoa front 4 will be the match up of the game to watch.  If the CPA OL struggles against that interior front 4 of Alcoa as most teams have then CPA may have a tough afternoon.  The weather could negate some of both teams' passing games which CPA seems to rely on more than Alcoa.  That would make CPA more one dimensional and put them at a disadvantage.  I don't think anyone other than Maryville has been able to run consistently on Alcoa and Maryville is the only defense to stop Alcoa' rushing attack.     

But other than Maryville....CPA is by far and away the best team Alcoa has played all year and I do not think Alcoa is just going to boat race up and down on the field as some posters have suggested. 

Yes, Alcoa has done that against many of their previous opponents but CPA is better coached, bigger, and more physical than the teams Alcoa has been been playing since Maryville.   CPA also has some great skill players at WR, QB, and RB.  Alcoa has faced some good skill players for other teams besides Maryville but not complete teams that also had a great OL blocking for them and good defenses on the other side of the ball.    Nevertheless, Alcoa is big, fast and strong and will be a huge test for CPA. 

Upperman was undefeated and had a talented QB but had major question marks on defense going into that game and did not have the OL to slow down the Alcoa front four.  Alcoa shoujld expect a much more stout defense from CPA and a much more physical OL. 

CPA and Alcoa had a similar score and margin of victory in their one common opponent this season, Mapelwood.  Both teams put Mapelwood away by halftime and played the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th string in the 2nd half so it is hard to draw conclusive evidence from that one common opponent.  Yet, it still suggests some level of parity between the two teams. 

Some Alcoa posters are trying to compare this year's CAK team to CPA because they run similar offenses but that isn't a close comparison in my opinion based on the film I've seen and the fact that CAK struggled with FRA in Nashville earlier in the season.  That game tells me and other CPA fans a lot about the level in which CAK was playing this year.  I've also watched the CAK vs Alcoa film from the playoffs.  CPA is going to be bigger, stronger and faster than CAK.    CPA is going to be much, much better at QB and WR than CAK.  I know CAK was great the last two seasons but they lost a lot of talent to the college ranks after last year and were in a rebuilding year this year. 

I expect a one score game between CPA and Alcoa headed into the fourth quarter unless one team has an uexpected rash of turnovers.  The tougher more physical team should win it in the fourth quarter.  But weather and turnovers can make the unexpected happen and turn this game either direction.  CPA needs to win the turnover battle to come out with the victory but no matter what I'm still expecting this game to be a close hard fought on both sides. 

Prayers for an injury free game and for the rain to subside for 3 hours in the afternoon. 

See you tomorrow! 

Nope, meaning that if the weather is a mix mash of percipitation anything is possible....you're still digging!

snapback.png

I believe that they can win and with tomorrow's forecast, it's more possible….

You said that with the weather forecast a CPA win is "more possible". If this doesn't mean you think the rain (weather) helps CPA, then I don't understand your post.

It was and still is a serious question mark. I am not sure how the weather affects either team and am interested to hear different opinions.

Edited by coachrus