GP WEST

MatWiz

Didnt know I was gonna start such a storm. - First, no apologies from me in the matter.  I am still shaking my head. 

Injuries happen in wrestling as does illness.  It's a part of the sport..  The decision I made to post about it was not intended to disrespect the program at Centennial.  They have a great program and that's that. 

With that said, I think many kids deserve every opportunity to get their name out there.  As many know, there is no better recruiting tool for your high school kid than for him to place at the biggest tournaments available.  It is that mindset that I worked under when commenting in the first place, 

If the logic presented is correct, all a kid needs to do is worry about his team goals.  Then after team duals at state he can consider himself?  If he does that and respects his team then he will get a scholarship?

See where I am going with that?  There's a delicate balance of team and individual in wrestling and certainly I do think that EVERY wrestler that competed at GP West is better today than they were Friday morning.  That shouldn't get lost in the mix over the goals of the team.

JMHO

Best of luck to Centennial and their wrestlers!

Centennial had/has several kids with flu, they could have brought backups or others that may currently appear healthy that were exposed and probably carrying it. The coach did the right thing by kept the team out of the tourney, protected the other teams and his own wrestlers. People are dying at higher rates because of H1N1 in this year's flu season.

Centennial has some very good wrestlers this year, but the kid of the complaining parent is only average at best. He would not have been a placer at this tourney. Syntax can really give people away. 

chswrestlingparent, stop moaning on a website. If you have complaints, man up and go to the coach in private. Being hot tempered can get the best of a lot of people. Cool off and move past this. 

I do not apologize for feeling disappointed about the decision the coach made to pull out of the GP West tournament. I will admit I am not being a supportive parent and it continues to get increasingly difficult.  Encouraging a team approach is extremely important and a key element to the success of any program. Having supportive parents is also a vital element to the success of a program. Forgive me for my weaknessL. For those Centennial parents that have commented about the coaches decision and how much you support it…… would be interesting to see what your opinion would have been had your child NOT been sick.  

I agree with mat 73557’s  earlier post:

1) Injuries happen in wrestling as does illness.  It's a part of the sport… 

2) With that said, I think many kids deserve every opportunity to get their name out there. 

3) As many know, there is no better recruiting tool for your high school kid than for him to place at the biggest tournaments available.

4) There's a delicate balance of team and individual in wrestling and certainly I do think that EVERY wrestler that competed at GP West is better today than they were Friday morning.  That shouldn't get lost in the mix over the goals of the team.

We can all agree we had sick or injured kids. The coach did not make the decision for these kids their illness, injury and/ or parents did. The focus should have been on the kids that were able to wrestle. Where I am struggling is, why focus was put on something a coach had no control of…illness & injury. Taking a few kids to the GP West tournaments, one of the best in Middle Tennessee is not a small deal. In my opinion, that is where the focus should have been.  It is an honor to wrestle in this tournament.

Now before you think I am selfish, stop and think about what I am saying.  When we talk “TEAM†we encourage even the injured to show up and support the team, right? So, why is this situation any different?  Obviously, we would not want the sick to show up, but offer encouragement to the fellow teammates would have showed a team approach, right?

Ok, so let us talk about a scenario I hope and pray will not happen.  The rest of the team becomes sick this week…..do we cancel the matches against Ravenwood and Franklin? After all, we would have several team members out…..or are they less important? No, what’s going to happen is those sick will miss two weeks of wrestling….that’s getting them prepared for state how ? Say whatever you want this situation could get very sticky should my son and the rest of the healthy get sick this week.

Edited by chswrestlingparent

I do not apologize for feeling disappointed about the decision the coach made to pull out of the GP West tournament. I will admit I am not being a supportive parent and it continues to get increasingly difficult.  Encouraging a team approach is extremely important and a key element to the success of any program. Having supportive parents is also a vital element to the success of a program. Forgive me for my weaknessL. For those Centennial parents that have commented about the coaches decision and how much you support it…… would be interesting to see what your opinion would have been had your child NOT been sick.  

I agree with mat 73557’s  earlier post:

1) Injuries happen in wrestling as does illness.  It's a part of the sport… 

2) With that said, I think many kids deserve every opportunity to get their name out there. 

3) As many know, there is no better recruiting tool for your high school kid than for him to place at the biggest tournaments available.

4) There's a delicate balance of team and individual in wrestling and certainly I do think that EVERY wrestler that competed at GP West is better today than they were Friday morning.  That shouldn't get lost in the mix over the goals of the team.

We can all agree we had sick or injured kids. The coach did not make the decision for these kids their illness, injury and/ or parents did. The focus should have been on the kids that were able to wrestle. Where I am struggling is, why focus was put on something a coach had no control of…illness & injury. Taking a few kids to the GP West tournaments, one of the best in Middle Tennessee is not a small deal. In my opinion, that is where the focus should have been.  It is an honor to wrestle in this tournament.

Now before you think I am selfish, stop and think about what I am saying.  When we talk “TEAM†we encourage even the injured to show up and support the team, right? So, why is this situation any different?  Obviously, we would not want the sick to show up, but offer encouragement to the fellow teammates would have showed a team approach, right?

Ok, so let us talk about a scenario I hope and pray will not happen.  The rest of the team becomes sick this week…..do we cancel the matches against Ravenwood and Franklin? After all, we would have several team members out…..or are they less important? No, what’s going to happen is those sick will miss two weeks of wrestling….that’s getting them prepared for state how ? Say whatever you want this situation could get very sticky should my son and the rest of the healthy get sick this week.

So you are saying that if there are still some kids sick, but the the team wrestles, you are going to cause problems? You are on thin ice. Surely you must realize how identifiable you are. There were only a few healthy/uninjured kids. Only one has a parent that is a known hothead that would do something as immature as get on here and make the coach and team look bad because his mediocre wrestling kid didn't get to wrestle this weekend and then go on to claim the situation would get sticky if others get sick. If you want to coach, go coach somewhere and coach. Otherwise, try to support the guy doing the job, not stab him in the back anonymously on a message board and make the entire program look bad. 

• Upvote 1

This is my last post on this subject and hopefullt it can get laid to rest. First whether you agree or disagree about us not going it is not any of your concern we didnt go end of story you can keep scrathcing your heads all day long but it was our decision whether it was the right one or not.

Second I would hope that we could all act like adults on here but it seems a little to late for that. This sport is supposed to be about our kids and helping them become better men which people on this board are setting the wrong examples. If you like or dislike our decision that is fine you are entilited to your opinion but there is no reason to attack any of our wrestlers, our parents, or our program. You can say what you want about me thats fine because I dont need any of your approvals but when you as adults keep saying negative things about the kids and parents what kind of examples are you setting as adults. The kids in the room have busted their butts since last season and deserve respect and nothing else. Hopefully you can all end your responses now and move on to enjoy your lives and be more mature in the future.

Thanks

This is my last post on this subject and hopefullt it can get laid to rest. First whether you agree or disagree about us not going it is not any of your concern we didnt go end of story you can keep scrathcing your heads all day long but it was our decision whether it was the right one or not.

Second I would hope that we could all act like adults on here but it seems a little to late for that. This sport is supposed to be about our kids and helping them become better men which people on this board are setting the wrong examples. If you like or dislike our decision that is fine you are entilited to your opinion but there is no reason to attack any of our wrestlers, our parents, or our program. You can say what you want about me thats fine because I dont need any of your approvals but when you as adults keep saying negative things about the kids and parents what kind of examples are you setting as adults. The kids in the room have busted their butts since last season and deserve respect and nothing else. Hopefully you can all end your responses now and move on to enjoy your lives and be more mature in the future.

Thanks

I agree, this needs to be put to rest.  I personally want to apologize on this post for my part in creating a conflict. I apologize to the coach and the wrongfully accused parent and child.

Anyone that has been paying attention to Centennial wrestling knows this year has been one of transition. The coach has had to jump many hurtles just to get some simple support. Being a longtime supporter of Centennial wrestling, I do not want to create additional conflict these last few weeks. I do not always agree with how coaches in general handle situations, but I respect them as people and as coaches. Taking on the responsibility of coaching is huge and as you know… there are always going to be different opinions.

Sitting in the stands at GP West watching and enjoying some great wrestling and noticing those missing was disappointing to say the least. It was not just Centennial, but that was my focus, my team.   I am sure all the boys feel that same disappointment no matter what their personal situation was this past weekend.

I will agree with the coach the kids have busted their butts and deserve respect. I do need to clarify an earlier post by PALE pointed to a specific parent and child. You also pointed out that you knew it was that parent without doubt. You need to know you have it wrong and I think you owe that parent an apology. You don't know who I am and I don't care who you are....you dont attack a child . For the record…there is several parents who get heated along with a few coaches when they think a call should have gone differently or when they think their child should have wrestled differently…… its part of the sport.

Obviously, the “hothead†parent as you stated PALE  has more class then you or me, since they have remained quiet to your personal attack.  I voiced my opinion as an adult and the adult coach responded with his opinion....attacking another parent and child shows your true lack of class.

I pray God watches over EVERY Centennial wrestler and the rest of the season brings health, safety and success. 

I agree, this needs to be put to rest.  I personally want to apologize on this post for my part in creating a conflict. I apologize to the coach and the wrongfully accused parent and child.

Anyone that has been paying attention to Centennial wrestling knows this year has been one of transition. The coach has had to jump many hurtles just to get some simple support. Being a longtime supporter of Centennial wrestling, I do not want to create additional conflict these last few weeks. I do not always agree with how coaches in general handle situations, but I respect them as people and as coaches. Taking on the responsibility of coaching is huge and as you know… there are always going to be different opinions.

Sitting in the stands at GP West watching and enjoying some great wrestling and noticing those missing was disappointing to say the least. It was not just Centennial, but that was my focus, my team.   I am sure all the boys feel that same disappointment no matter what their personal situation was this past weekend.

I will agree with the coach the kids have busted their butts and deserve respect. I do need to clarify an earlier post by PALE pointed to a specific parent and child. You also pointed out that you knew it was that parent without doubt. You need to know you have it wrong and I think you owe that parent an apology. You don't know who I am and I don't care who you are....you dont attack a child . For the record…there is several parents who get heated along with a few coaches when they think a call should have gone differently or when they think their child should have wrestled differently…… its part of the sport.

Obviously, the “hothead†parent as you stated PALE  has more class then you or me, since they have remained quiet to your personal attack.  I voiced my opinion as an adult and the adult coach responded with his opinion....attacking another parent and child shows your true lack of class.

I pray God watches over EVERY Centennial wrestler and the rest of the season brings health, safety and success. 

Did I name the specific child or parent? Do you want me to? Or is their poor behavior so well known that all I had to say was the hothead parent and everyone know who it is? And I do know who you are, and I did not attack you or your kid, only your behavior; classless and spineless.

And just for the record, the same type of person that would stab a coach in the back with anonymous complaints would lie about their true identity on coacht and deny it when they have been caught hiding behind a message board ID. Call your anonymous complaint an act of an adult all you want, but it does not make it so. Backtracking now on your part won't change it at all, hothead.