Prep Slam

Cashville135

Hwt

1st Place Match

Toby Okwara (Charlotte Latin School) 4-0, . over Sean Sanders (St. Benedict`s Prep) 3-1, . (Fall 1:40).

3rd Place Match

Nick Forinti (St. Anthony`s High School) 4-1, . over Darby Henagan (Lovett) 4-2, So. (Fall 2:41).

5th Place Match

D.J. Coker (Greater Atlanta Christian) 3-2, . over Seth Cecil (St. Francis School) 3-3, . (Fall 4:30).

Most of those wrestlers grew up traveling and wrestling each other throughout the year every year making each other better so there are several high quality wrestlers in Georgia from 170-220. It looks like this tournament was a little weak in those areas with the exception of Brinson who is one of the better upper weights. By looking at the Georgia placers in the Prep Slam I think many of them would have a hard time placing at the McCallie Inv. Georgia's private schools are not near as competitive as TN, their strength and depth is mostly in their public schools. The Sham Slam this weekend is by far the best tournament in the state and it is stacked with talent and basically an all-class state championship. A lot of the better upper weights in Georgia are wrestlers first and many don't even play football.

Yes, stacked down there... Between Ness, Riviera, 9th grade sensation Miller and Kenneth Brinson Ga is doin fine... Bronson finished 2nd as a freshman 195 in 2012 (AAAA).

He then became the Freshman NHSCA Champion at 195. His match scores there were:

13 – 4 (NJ)

Tech Fall (NC)

14 – 1 (OH)

The next year, Kenneth Brinson was the Georgia wrestling state champion 195 (AAAA).

He then became the Sophomore NHSCA Champion at 195. His match scores there were:

Fall (1:50) WV

Fall (1:31) PA

Fall (1:49) VA (semifinal)

10 – 3 (MN) Final

Borrowing a cue from John King on CNN’s Election Night coverage: Kenneth Brinson is the projected state champion, in his weight class, both this season and the next.  

Should these projections hold, he will be the most decorated wrestler in the Marist School’s history.

But for Kenneth Brinson, there is wrestling, and then there is more.

In helping Marist win the 2013 state title in Track and Field, Kenneth became the individual state champion in the discus. According to the Marist website, Brinson’s winning discus throw was “an effort better than any competitor in any class that day.â€

Also for Brinson, there is wrestling, there is Track & Field, and still, there is more.

Brinson is part of the Marist football team which reached the state semifinals in 2012.

It’s said, sometimes, that Georgia wrestling loses out because so many of the state’s very best athletes do not participate in wrestling.

Well this time, one of them does.

His name is Chance and Brinson has a win over him already although McClue has had more exposure and national accomplishments.

Here's your best upper weights from GA by weight:

160 Bullard/Moody/Pyke/Little

170 Lujan/Henson

182 Rivera

195 Ness

220 McClure/Moore/Brinson

285 Couzan

You'll see the seniors this year in the dream team match USA vs GA.

West, you know Ga better than I although I have seen most of these great wrestlers compete down there, mostly off season. I've been impressed! Some of these fine athletes have had a part in helping one or two of my sons improve.

Obviously, all I state is opinions & Kudos at times but mostly positive information passed along that at times is refuted, but I'm not perfect, always and certainly not a know it all as ol tex23 suggests I'm trying to be.

BTW,,, I believe I got chance and his father name who passed a year or two ago mixed up. Thx for the up date,,, Didn't know he lost. Certainly shows how national exposure helps offer more opportunities and recognition