DII Mr. Basketball Ballots

CoachT

This thread is for DII Boys: The ballots have been sent to me and other voters. Please give us your suggestions. Negative comments are not affective in this thread and are not welcome!! We want to know who to consider, not who not to consider.

--------------------------------------------------

The Mr. and Miss Basketball Awards will be presented to the top girls and boys in five classifications of the Tennessee Secondary School Athletic Association at the state basketball championships in March.

This group is to include three finalists for Miss Basketball and three for Mr. Basketball in each classification. The winners of the coveted award are to receive the distinguished Mr. and Miss Basketball trophy with the other finalists being presented plaques.

The awards will be presented for each classification prior to the championship game awards presentation for each class, respectively.  The presentation of the Mr. and Miss Basketball Awards for Division II will be given on Saturday, March 1 at Allen Arena on the campus of Lipscomb University in Nashville.  

The presentation of the Miss Basketball Awards for Division I, Classes A, AA, and AAA will be given during each championship awards ceremony for each class on Saturday, March 8 at the Murphy Center on the campus of Middle Tennessee State University in Murfreesboro.

The presentation of the Mr. Basketball Awards for Division I, Classes A, AA, and AAA will be given during each championship awards ceremony for each class on Saturday, March 15 at the Murphy Center on the campus of Middle Tennessee State University.

Any player at any of our member schools is eligible to receive votes, and I would encourage you to take a moment and give careful consideration to any player with whom you are familiar and who you think deserving of the Mr. or Miss Basketball Award.

These votes are a nominating process only.  A selection committee that will include representatives from each area of the state will meet to vote on the finalists and winner of the Mr. and Miss Basketball Award for each classification.  You may submit the names of up to three players in each classification for the awards. It is not necessary to vote for three players in each category, but that is your option. And, please, consider the statewide aspect of this voting process.

A guy I work with who is a Friendship fan said the kid over at DCA should win cause he scores 80 percent of the points, I don't know his name, but they say he can score.

DCA plays a JV schedule.  The 1 or 2 teams that they play that are any good have shut him down.

Does DCA play Goodpasture in basketball this year? Don't they play every year? If they played already I guess GP won since they are undefeated, what was the score and how many did the scorer from DCA have?

Goodpasture not undefeated. Brentwood Academy beat them 78-70

Does DCA play Goodpasture in basketball this year? Don't they play every year? If they played already I guess GP won since they are undefeated, what was the score and how many did the scorer from DCA have?

DCA and Goodpasture have played every year for a long time but DCA would not play them this year.  DCA coach won't schedule competitive non-district games.  DCA was eager to play GP when GP was no good but now that GP is competitive, DCA would rather play JV teams.

For your consideration for Mr. Basketball for DII-A, I would like to suggest Rob Marberry.  Here are a few points about Rob:

• Rob Marberry 6'7" 225 lb PF/C for Franklin Road Academy
  • D1 College (WKU) basketball commit (only D1 commit so far in DII-A, I believe)
  • 2013-14 McDonalds All American Nominee (only one in DII-A - only 26 players named from TN)
  • Named All DII-A District MVP last year
  • Named All DII-A Region Tournament Team the last 2 years
  • Named All DII-A District Tournament Team last year
  • Named MVP of Marlin Classic Christmas Tournament in Panama City last year
  • 3 year member of the Travelers Nike EYBL team which qualified to play this past summer in the prestigious Peach Jam tournament
  • Currently has to date in high school career: 1414 points total, 66% FG percentage, 831 rebounds and 306 blocks
  • Current season:  376 points, 215 rebounds and 66 blocks
  • ALL PLAYING AN AVERAGE OF ONLY ABOUT 2.75 QUARTERS PER GAME!

Thank you for your consideration!

• Upvote 1

DCA plays a JV schedule.  The 1 or 2 teams that they play that are any good have shut him down.

So who are the teams that shut him down & how many points did he have in those games since you appear to have a lot of knowledge about on this.. per the Tennessean stats appears he still leads the midstate in scoring (all divisions). 

Players shoot good some nights and some even have streaks that span several games.  When it comes to this award it's the guy who effects the game both on offense and defense, day in and day out.  A kid who makes the other kids around him better.  

PPG doesn't even come close to telling the whole story.  I'd argue that a D1 college coach recruits the entire package and not a kid who has an outside shot.  I'd also argue that shooting percentage sometimes outweighs PPG.  Unfortunately, fans don't have access to the percentages and can't see who shoots 15% and who shoots 60%.  I wanna know if he stayed in the game for the fourth Q and put up double digits against an opponents JV squad.  

Did he shut down an opponents main players or was he hanging around cherry picking shots.  Is he good enough to play in college and if so, are they hanging around making offers?  Does he even want to go to the next level.  Does he love the game?  

These are just my opinions and not pointed at any particular player.  

I like Marberry because he demonstrates many if not all of the qualities it takes to succeed at the next level and his past performances have indeed made the players around him better.

BoyHowdy will remain an AC (anonymous coward). I feel the comfort and security of an anonymous post brings out an honesty not found within the confines of accountability and transparency.

Edited by BoyHowdy

So who are the teams that shut him down & how many points did he have in those games since you appear to have a lot of knowledge about on this.. per the Tennessean stats appears he still leads the midstate in scoring (all divisions). will give a snapshot of Clays games against the better competition on DCA's schedule.. his lowest output was against FRA ..scored 19 but only played half the game because he had that flu bug that was going around. probably shouldn't have played in that one...he was very sick.... had 33 against JP II, 41 vs USN, 30 against Knox Webb, 44 vs NCCS, 32 against Ezell "rivalry game"... Scores less against weaker teams because he has a pass first mentality and usually plays less minutes. We are looking fwd to the post season which we host at DCA this week. Games on Tues, thurs, fri, and sat if anyone wants to come see them play.... (for the record I am Clays dad)