2014 Boyd Buchanan

skydogg25

Warning: memcache_connect() [function.memcache-connect]: Can't connect to internal.memcached.coacht.net:11211, Connection refused (111) in /mnt/wwwroot/boards/ips_kernel/classCacheMemcache.php on line 90

The Bucs had to wait a couple days to play its district contest against the Copper Basin cougars, but for (So.) Brandon Willingham it was well worth the wait. Brandon threw a complete game three hitter allowing no earned runs or walks and tallied a school record 17 strikeouts. Brandon was in control all day throwing just 101 pitches with 73 being strikes. Willingham saw his record go to 6-0 on the season while the Bucs improved to 5-0 in the district and 14-9 overall.

Brandon received all the offense he would need in the first two innings when (Sr.) Jim Cardwell lead off the first with a walk stole second then was sacrificed to third by Cade Evans where he scored when Nathan Murrell hit a groundout to the shortstop for a Bucs 1-0 lead. The Bucs added on in the second when Jim Cardwell doubled in two runs for a 3-0 lead then added two more in the third when Hunter Payne doubled in two more and the Bucs had given Brandon the cushion he needed to roll through the Cougar hitters. The only hiccup for Willingham came in the fifth inning when a lead off double and an error put runners on first and third with no out but Brandon struckout the next batter, got the next guy to groundout to thrird, before striking out Kimsey to end the inning. Brandon would finish strong striking out the last five Cougar hitters he retired.

The Bucs will take on the Cougars Saturday morning at 10:00 in Copperhill which will be played around their entry into the Lookout valley Invitational which kicks off today when they play the host squad with first pitch slated for 2:30.

I don't know much about this stick ball stuff, but congrats on the win, and the individual performance by the soph. pitcher! 

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bucs Wild Week Ends in Tournament Championship!!
April 21, 2014

CAM00133.jpg

The Bucs wild week went exrremly well as they defeated district foe Copper Basin twice and won four games with three being against state ranked opponents to win the Yellow Jacket Classic hosted by Lookout Valley High School. The week got off to a bang when (So.) Brandon Willingham threw a school record 17 strikeouts in a 7-1 victory over Copper Basin wednesday afternoon at home. The next day the Bucs took on Lookout Valley in the first game of the Yellow Jacket Classic and had another gem threw by their superb staff when (Fr.) Cameron Wolfe threw a 3 hit complete game shutout in a Bucs 13-0 victory. The hitting stars for the game were (So.) Seth Rogers and (Fr.) Cade Evans who both tallied two hits on the day.

The Bucs then took on very good teams on friday night when they first defeated South Pittsburg 6-5 as they drilled three homeruns and got another good pitching effort this time by (Jr.) Josh Antwine who got the win as he threw six good innings and (Sr.) Jim Cardwell who notched his fourth save of the season. The Bucs homeruns came from (Sr.) Nathan Murrell, who's homer gave the Bucs a brief 2-1 lead in the top of the 3rd, (Sr.) Jim Cardwell who's two run blast tied the game at five in the top of the 6th, and (So.) EJ Matthews who's solo shot gave the Bucs go ahead score in the top of the 7th. The Bucs leading hitters for the game were Murrell who went 2x4 and (Jr.) Hunter Payne who also went 2x4.

The Bucs then had its hands full as #2 ranked FRA took to the field and threw its ace pitcher, Casey Queener who is committed to Belmont University for the occassion. The Bucs jump on Quenner as Cardwell drilled a single into right field, stole second, went to third on a grounout, and scored on a wild pitch. The lone run was almost enough for standout lefty, (Jr.) John Sewell, who kept the FRA hitters in check for four innings before allowing Queener to single in Dalton Ney for the tying run, but the Bucs put together a rally as they saw eight hitters go to the plate in the top of the sixth and score three runs. This time it was enough as (So.) ace Brandon Willingham came in and slam the door striking out four batters on his way to his first save of the season.

The Bucs didn't have much time to celebrate their accomplishment when the game ended at 11:25 Friday night because they had to get some sleep and be on a bus to Copper Hill at 7:30 to play the Cougars in a district game that had to be rescheduled because of bad weather the first part of the week. The Bucs took care of business handing the Cougars a lopsided 14-0 loss in five innings Saturday morning. The Bucs threw one of its aces, (Jr.) Skyler Anderson who took care of business throwing only 50 pitches in four innings allowing only a hit and striking out eight for his fourt victory of the season. (So.) Seth Rogers mopped up the affair by striking out the side in the fifth. The Bucs were lead in hitting by Nathan Murrell who wnet 4x5 with four Rbi's.

The Bucs got back on the bus and drove to Lookout Valley and played powerfull Rockwood in the championship game of the Yellow Jacket Classic. The Bucs rode the (Sr.) arm of Nathan Murrell who threw a complete game gem allowing only one run to a team who had been averaging 10.6 runs a game coming into the championship affair. The Bucs got a solo HR by its (Fr.) phenom 1B Colby Morgan and a 3x4 performance from its other outstanding freshman Cade Evans in the Bucs 10-1 victory. The Bucs had four players named to the all-tournament team as EJ Matthews, John Sewell, Nathan Murrell, and Jim Cardwell all made the team with Cardwell being named the MVP of the tourney.

The Bucs record now stands at 19-9 and 6-0 in the district as they have won 14 out of 15 contests. They will play district rival CSAS Tuesday at CSAS with first pitch slated for 5:00.

Last May the Bucs suffered a heartbreaking loss to the Patriots of CSAS to end their season, last night the Bucs captured the 2014 5A regular season district title against those same Patriots by dominating the veteran club 14-0 behind a total team effort. The 2014 Bucs have turned into a complete club and one who looks to be putting the pieces together at the right time to make a serious run at Murfreesboro and the rest of the state is starting to take notice as their climb into this week's coaches rankings at the #8 spot shows. The Bucs can hit the baseball as last evening showed with five Bucs, (Jim Cardwell, Colby Morgan, Nathan Murrell, EJ Matthews, and Seth Rogers)  having two hits on the evening. Nathan Murrell had four Rbi's raising his season total to 35 to lead the Chattanooga area while Seth Rogers, who has been red hot over the past two weeks batting a cool .600, had three Rbi's. Seth also showed another of the Bucs great assets and it plays great defense when he threw out a Patriot runner trying to go to third on a single from left field, it was Seth's third assist of the year from Left field.

The Bucs strongest core is its superb pitching staff which has only allowed eight runs over its current seven game winning streak and has a team E.RA of 2.65. It was on display once again handing the Patriots only their second shutout of the season. The Bucs starter, Skyler Anderson who's record went to 5-2 on the year, started and went four innings allowing only two hits while striking out six before handing the game off to hard throwing lefty John Sewell who threw the last inning striking out all three Patriot hitters he faced.

The Bucs record now stands at 20-9 and 7-0 in the district as they have now won 15 of their past 16 and are currently on a seven game winning streak which will be put to the test this Thursday when the Patriots visit for a 5:15 first pitch.

• 2 weeks later...

District 5-A baseball coaches have announced their regular season awards and Boyd-Buchanan followed up its championship with the top honors as well.

Boyd-Buchanan’s Jim Cardwell and Nathan Murrell were selected as the league’s Co-Players of the Year and Josh Rider earned the Coach of the Year award.

The Bucs, the district tournament’s No. 1 seed with 22-9 overall and 8-0 league records, also placed four players on the All-District team – Skyler Anderson, Hunter Payne, Brandon Willingham and Cade Evans.

Edited by skydogg25

Boyd-Buchanan Bucs roll as Skyler Anderson throws no-hitter

font size

Boyd-Buchanan pitcher Skyler Anderson entered Saturday's game with an earned run average of 1.23.

By midafternoon it had dropped.

The right-hander thew a no-hitter in the Buccaneers' six-inning, 10-0 victory over visiting Grace Academy.

"I felt it in the fourth or fifth inning and just thought to myself, 'You've got to keep it going. You've got to keep it going,'" Anderson said. "As it went on and I got closer, I was thinking, 'Can't give up a hit, can't give up a hit.'"

The Bucs' 23rd win -- against nine losses -- propelled them into the District 5-A winners-bracket final against Silverdale Baptist, a 6-2 winner over Arts & Sciences. Boyd-Buchanan will host Silverdale while Grace visits Arts & Sciences in 5 p.m. Monday games.

Anderson had just five strikeouts but used a solid defense.

"He pitched a great game," Bucs coach Josh Rider said. "He was putting them where he needed to and getting ground-ball outs. It's a good thing when you have a defense like his."

Anderson faced just one batter above the minimum for a six-inning game. One Eagle reached on an error in the first inning but was thrown out trying to steal by catcher Hunter Payne. Grace's Isaac Ateca walked in the second.

That was it for Golden Eagles runners. The Bucs recorded nine ground-ball outs to go with an infield fly. Just one ball reached the outfield, a fly to left.

"I was throwing mostly fastballs, two-seam and four-seam early, then curveballs and sliders," Anderson said. "Hunter called a good game, and the defense did a really good job behind me."

Part of the strong defense came from third baseman Josh Antwine, who also went 2-for-3 with two runs scored and an RBI.

"He's my best friend, so we back each other up," Anderson said. "He kept me calm when I got mad at myself at the plate, and he kept me focused on the mound."

Boyd-Buchanan banged out 13 hits with six going for extra bases -- homers by Nathan Murrell and Jim Cardwell, a triple by Cade Evans and doubles from Murrell, Anderson and Antwine.

Contact Ward Gossett at wgossett@timesfreepress.com or 423-886-4765. Follow him at Twitter.com/wardgossett.

Well it looks like Copper Basin and Grace weren't to capable of making deep runs. Goodluck to Boyd in their quest to reach the state tournament. You are on a level of your own for 1A in the area.

Thanks for the encoragement! But we WILL and DO respect all our competition and the only game we have is Silverdale who has a very good ball club and is very well coached! And the young man that most likely will toe the rubber today is an outstanding competitor and a very fine pitcher, so our work is cut out for us today.

Thanks for the encoragement! But we WILL and DO respect all our competition and the only game we have is Silverdale who has a very good ball club and is very well coached! And the young man that most likely will toe the rubber today is an outstanding competitor and a very fine pitcher, so our work is cut out for us today.

As you should be but I believe you will win over Silverdale by a comfortable 5-6 runs. Silverdale had a very good ball club last year as well. I am pulling for you.

Willingham Pitches Boyd-Buchanan Past Silverdale Evans, Murrell, Morgan Spark 7-3 Victory In 5-A Baseball

Monday, May 05, 2014 - by John Hunt

It appears that the Boyd-Buchanan Buccaneers have Silverdale's number in baseball this year.

These two teams are head-and-shoulders better than anyone else in District 5-A this spring, so it was no surprise that they met in the winners bracket final of the 5-A tournament on Monday afternoon at Boyd-Buchanan.

And there's a pretty good chance they'll be playing on the same field Thursday for the tournament championship.

The Bucs got a complete game performance from sophomore Brandon Willingham as the hosts won for the third straight time, the last by a 7-3 final.

The Seahawks scored first with two runs in their first at-bat, but the Buccaneers came right back with three in the bottom of the first and they never looked back.

One more run in the third made it 4-2 while a three-spot in the fourth all but locked up Boyd-Buchanan's 24th victory against nine defeats.

"I started off kind of shaky in the first inning, but everything started flowing after that.  I usually get good run support and I'm confident that they'll make the plays behind me," the 16-year-old Willingham explained after a short run in the outfield following the game.

"It wasn't one of my best games, but it always feels good when we beat our biggest rival," he added.

The Seahawks scored both of those first-inning runs without the benefit of a hit.

Jordan Delashmitt got hit by a pitch to lead things off before stealing second and third.  He scampered home on a wild pitch.  Losing pitcher Josiah Green walked with one out and courtesy runner Michael Weiss later scored on a groundout by Chance Brown.

The Bucs didn't waste any time getting those two runs back and more.

Cade Evans singled up the middle with one out and scored on a double by Nathan Murrell.  Sophomore Colby Morgan then followed with a towering two-run homer to left as that early 2-0 deficit was a 3-2 lead after the first frame.

Murrell led off the third with an infield single and scored on a double off the fence in left by Morgan.

Then in the fourth, the Bucs blew things open a bit with their final three runs.

Josh Antwine reached on a Silverdale error and scored on a one-out double by Evans.  Murrell singled before Morgan was walked intentionally to load the bases.  That plan backfired when E.J. Matthews singled to left as Evans scored.  A bases-loaded walk to Skyler Anderson allowed Murrell to score before the Seahawks finally retired the side.

Silverdale added one more run in the top of the fourth when Green led off with a walk.  Weiss was called upon to run for him again and he scored on a single by Matt Millard after stealing second.

The Seahawks had a runner on base in each of the last three innings, but they were left stranded every time.

Boyd-Buchanan coach Josh Rider was just happy that his kids found a way to battle back after falling behind early.

"We clinched a spot in the region with this win and we're fired up about that.  Silverdale caused us some problems early, but it was good to get ahead after giving up those two runs in the first," Rider explained.

"I thought we hit the ball well today and we just need to keep on rolling.  Brandon didn't have his best stuff, but he's a bulldog on the mound and he finally started finding the strike zone.  He puts us in a good position to win every time he pitches," the coach smiled.

Silverdale coach Jonathan Adcock certainly doesn't want to panic, but he knows that Tuesday's game with the CSAS-Grace winner is critical for his Seahawks.

"I'd just like for my team to play well here one time," he began.

"Boyd-Buchanan hits the ball well and they put pressure on you with their offense.  We didn't make the plays when we needed to as it should have been a much closer game.  Our backs are to the wall now.  We have to win on Tuesday or the season is over," he added, his team now 14-8 for the season.

Evans, Murrell and Morgan were the offensive heroes for the Bucs as they had seven of their team's nine hits with Murrell getting three and the others two apiece.  They also scored six of the seven runs.

Matthews had the other two hits for the Bucs.  He had a double to lead off the sixth, but was thrown out by catcher Chance Brown when he got caught leaning toward third to end the inning.

Brown, Millard and Weiss all had a single apiece for the Seahawks.

SILVERDALE  200 100 0 -- 3 3 2

BOYD-BUCHANAN  301 300 x -- 7 9 0

Green, Crowther (5) and Brown; Willingham and Payne.

(email John Hunt at nomarathonmoose@Comcast.net

Edited by skydogg25

As you should be but I believe you will win over Silverdale by a comfortable 5-6 runs. Silverdale had a very good ball club last year as well. I am pulling for you.

Oh well I was close. It will be a larger margin of victory for the Bucs when you play them on Wednesday.