Mckenzie Arena or Cow palace?

fooseball96

These are the type of absurd comments that make the wrestling community look illiterate.  First of all, the TSSAA is controlled by a board that is made up of principals, coaches and AD's.  It is a non-profit organization and every state event has a balance sheet and earnings statement.  I have requested and seen the statement for the wrestling state tournament.

You state  there is $150,000 profit.  Where do you get these numbers from?  Business 101= EBITDA (Earnings before interest, taxes, depreciation and amortization)  then come your expenses...so net net Revenue (what you bring in) minus expenses (what it cost )  equals profit.  I can assure you that total revenue is not even close to your $150,000 statement. Try half that. 

Your assumption suggest that the TSSAA state brings in $200k - $300k in revenue.  If you truly believe this,  I would suggest getting with the chamber of commerce in BC.  Find a venue that is capable of handling 14 mats, and offer TSSAA $100,000 to ley you host the tournament. 

Should be a no brainer.  You make a nice $50,000 profit for 3 days work and the chamber of commerce, hotels, and restaurants make a killing for 3 days.  That alone should add another $150,000 to the county coffers.

If we want to change things,  we've got to be realistic,  have agreed upon expectations, and quit throwing around bogus information.  It only makes us look incompetent.

You've twisted everything I've said.

I never mentioned net revenue, I guestimated a rough profit amount due to a completely free venue as compared to paying for one in the past. Stating simply that it is a profit because of the free venue compared to paying an alleged arm and a leg in the past.

The $200,000-$300,000 is your number not mine. You've double my number in your argument for some reason and implied that it was mine.

I'm not affiliated with the TSSAA so why should I do their job.

Don't be so uptight about the BC joke.

What are the real numbers then? Are you implying that the TSSAA cannot afford an adequate venue for this sport or appropriate awards for its athletes?

TD not a kid but have been on here since I was a wrestler a long time ago and just don't want to change it, been in wrestling world prob longer than you and more involved than you as a prior teacher, coach, wrestler. Just like newest guy said non profit means nothing with the TSSAA just another crappy and pretty much useless governing organization just like NCAA. They don't care about sports except maybe football which I also played and even than after moving to TN Tech I have to think that maybe they don't care as much as we think about football either. The rest of the sports just like to the NCAA is the red headed stepchild to football and the money is all they care about to they can bloat themselves on salaries they don't deserve and travel expenses they get paid, free rooms etc that they do. Should pay more to referees another thing I did, and to have it housed at a better facility with less regards to cost. Again I could care less if it is in Nashville as I can still get there in 2 or so hours and drive back home, so no argument it has to be in Chattanooga, but the venue is a joke and only picked because it was free and TSSAA can pocket more from it than if they had to pay for a venue. Put it beside UTC, Bridgestone, Murphy center and have them be relatively the same for rent they would never have chosen the Ag Center and you can talk all you want about 150,000 but if they don't do anymore than that either the attendance is lower than I thought or they give away to much free stuff, because it was close to that after paying for UTC back in the day and someone said earlier attendance was higher there. Maybe it's because they still ask for tons of hotel rooms for board people that mostly live in Nashville, or maybe their rental cars, or maybe one of the other hundred things TSSAA ask for when a big event is held so they can feel all special about themselves! Maybe you are one of them and that is why you stand up for them so much!

Edited by cobrakid8

Your logic baffles the mind.  Those who fund it should what? The kids should make a profit?

Please tell me that you don't really believe that UTC or any entity in Bradley county has some

special right to benefit financially from a TSSAA sanctioned event?

I know this is TN, butt dem fellers frum Bradlie county shur no rasslin ! :rolleyes:

With a mind like yours I'd be surprised if it wasn't constantly baffled!

Those who fund it should have a vote as to how its spent. Self explanatory.

Kids and profit...point is put all of the money back into the sport.

BC comment was a joke but there is some truth to it at the same time. I've said many times I don't care where state is held as long as its done right. I feel like a centrally located college wrestling program should he able to host the event, UTC or MTSU.

Lighten up!

Your quote,  "Talk about incompetence"

Cobrakid,  you are obviously a kid. Wait till you get into the real world. 

You really miss the point. Non-profit means that their records and books (to include income statement and balance sheet) are open to the public, just like a publicly held company,  vs a privately held business that is not obligated to disclose their income statement or balance sheet to the public.  I'm sure your mom or dad can explain to you what a balance sheet.  If your going to throw numbers around, do your due diligence.  $150,000 in profit was the quote. That could have easily been verified before putting it into writing. 

No wonder the TSSAA can't take most suggestions seriously.

Whats you argument? You want to argue terminology but he has a valid point that you continue to ignore.

So to sum up.....

A couple of whiny Chattanooga Dads:

"Waaaaahhhhhh, the tournament is now in almost the exact center of the state central to everyone instead of my backyard."

You ignore the points being made here. Which are spending the additional revenue from increased attendance on a more suitable facility and better awards, thus putting the money back into the sport. Good for you though, you added so much insight to the conversation.

So to sum up.....

A couple of whiny Chattanooga Dads:

"Waaaaahhhhhh, the tournament is now in almost the exact center of the state central to everyone instead of my backyard."

I don't think anybody has actually said move it from middle. That's an obvious place for it to be as far as travel goes they just want a different venue or in their opinion better venue.

Gunston, not sure if I am included with that statement of your but if so your reading comprehension from the mid state needs some work. I don't have a child wrestling right now especially in high school, and could again CARE LESS if the state tourney was kept in Nashville, I love Nashville so keeping wrestling there would be fine, but as Mr West stated if they put a little more of the money they make off wrestling back into wrestling I would be all for it! Better medals after all that hard work to get one, would be a good start, than finding a suitable venue to hold it would also be good. Again cost is always the factor with TSSAA but if they can find a venue that does not cost a complete arm and leg so that they can even break even than that should be the goal, they have huge administrative costs which is absurd for a association that is supposed to be nothing more for the betterment of sports in the state! Not for them to make a wonderful living off it, free cars and trucks to drive, free room and board at venues even when in the same city they live in! Just the total waste of money it has become. The money that it makes should go back to the sports out there plain and simple, or back to the schools that keep it running! Again I love wrestling still go although I have a family, real job, etc I go to matches and tourneys that are ran right. I went one time to the AG Center and it is not a wrestling venue and should not be used for one. I would rather pay more on my ticket parking etc if they had it somewhere that is fitting of a State Championships! I do not go back because of that and good for you for doing that but the casual wrestling fan does not.

Except there is no additional revenue once you pay for venue costs - thus taking money out of the sport.

Take money out of the sport? What money and where in the sport was it invested? Last time I checked each team had to pay for their own officials, weight management fee ($10 per kid goes to TSSAA), coaches registration fee ($50 per coach), background check fee (costs), penalty fees (misconduct, illegal practice, etc). With the exception of the state tournament the TSSAA doesn't pay for anything. Not even the refs and awards at the region tournaments. The host schools pick that up. So to sum up, the TSSAA pays for the refs, awards and crackers for the coaches at the state tournament. Nothing else (please correct me if I'm wrong). I'd like to see that balance sheet.

Except there is no additional revenue once you pay for venue costs - thus taking money out of the sport.

What money do they put into the sport? Crappy medals that take a magnifier to see, crappy venue with tilted mats and no atmosphere! What money are they putting back into the sport. If this was march the state would try to make them wrestle out in a field off highway 24 if they were given the space for free if the Ag Center started making them pay! There needs to be no to small revenue from the State Championships for a sport because they only take they don't give.

Take money out of the sport? What money and where in the sport was it invested? Last time I checked each team had to pay for their own officials, weight management fee ($10 per kid goes to TSSAA), coaches registration fee ($50 per coach), background check fee (costs), penalty fees (misconduct, illegal practice, etc). With the exception of the state tournament the TSSAA doesn't pay for anything. Not even the refs and awards at the region tournaments. The host schools pick that up. So to sum up, the TSSAA pays for the refs, awards and crackers for the coaches at the state tournament. Nothing else (please correct me if I'm wrong). I'd like to see that balance sheet.

And newest guy they take a cut from the gate at each of those also since you are using the TSSAA name for the regions. They get a cut of everything and I have not seen them once pay out even close to what they take in, it's really a joke.

• Upvote 1