Mckenzie Arena or Cow palace?

fooseball96

It's a free venue, central location, can bring in your own food, plenty of parking,

AND IT"S A FREE VENUE !!!

Every year the thread gets added but I don't believe they will change the venue.

UTC made a killing while it lasted. 

Yes it is free. Correct. The older I get the more the old adage holds true.

You get what you pay for.

• Upvote 1

Thats right, but tssaa is paying. You want it bad enough, pay for it .

He has just like the rest of us.

Who the heck do you think has been paying for all of this? The fans/supporters/parents/teams!

The venue is now free, so is the admission and parking etc? No, so where does the additional $150,000 profit go?

Those who fund it should have a vote as to how its spent. End of story.

If the kids can't make a profit then others shouldn't be able to make a profit off of them either. Put the money back into the sport that generated it.

I don't care how much the venue cost, if it was affordable before then it should be now with the additional divisions/teams/individuals/fans/parents/etc.

The atmosphere of one of our home dual meets puts the state tournament to shame. Same can be said for BC. Maybe the state championship should be held in Bradley County. These two schools seem to know how to host a wrestling event.....and win one!!

• Upvote 1

These are the type of absurd comments that make the wrestling community look illiterate.  First of all, the TSSAA is controlled by a board that is made up of principals, coaches and AD's.  It is a non-profit organization and every state event has a balance sheet and earnings statement.  I have requested and seen the statement for the wrestling state tournament.

You state  there is $150,000 profit.  Where do you get these numbers from?  Business 101= EBITDA (Earnings before interest, taxes, depreciation and amortization)  then come your expenses...so net net Revenue (what you bring in) minus expenses (what it cost )  equals profit.  I can assure you that total revenue is not even close to your $150,000 statement. Try half that. 

Your assumption suggest that the TSSAA state brings in $200k - $300k in revenue.  If you truly believe this,  I would suggest getting with the chamber of commerce in BC.  Find a venue that is capable of handling 14 mats, and offer TSSAA $100,000 to ley you host the tournament. 

Should be a no brainer.  You make a nice $50,000 profit for 3 days work and the chamber of commerce, hotels, and restaurants make a killing for 3 days.  That alone should add another $150,000 to the county coffers.

If we want to change things,  we've got to be realistic,  have agreed upon expectations, and quit throwing around bogus information.  It only makes us look incompetent.

He has just like the rest of us.

Who the heck do you think has been paying for all of this? The fans/supporters/parents/teams!

The venue is now free, so is the admission and parking etc? No, so where does the additional $150,000 profit go?

Those who fund it should have a vote as to how its spent. End of story.

If the kids can't make a profit then others shouldn't be able to make a profit off of them either. Put the money back into the sport that generated it.

I don't care how much the venue cost, if it was affordable before then it should be now with the additional divisions/teams/individuals/fans/parents/etc.

The atmosphere of one of our home dual meets puts the state tournament to shame. Same can be said for BC. Maybe the state championship should be held in Bradley County. These two schools seem to know how to host a wrestling event.....and win one!!

Your logic baffles the mind.  Those who fund it should what? The kids should make a profit?

Please tell me that you don't really believe that UTC or any entity in Bradley county has some

special right to benefit financially from a TSSAA sanctioned event?

I know this is TN, butt dem fellers frum Bradlie county shur no rasslin ! :rolleyes:

The TSSAA is a non profit organization but that does not mean it does not keep a hefty balance or pay its people really good money to do what they do. Non profit mean nothing in today's world they keep a hefty balance in their coffers. I am sure your one that problem complains about health insurance companies but the largest in TN is a non profit organization also like the TSSAA but I am sure you don't look at them in the same light. They make a ton off this event because they don't pay for the facility to use it. That was a big cost at UTC and even with less people it makes more money overall because of the lack of paying for the usage of the ag center. I am from Chattanooga and miss having it at UTC but the only reason for the move was a business one and if TSSAA was true non profit they would not worry about the cost of having it at let's say the Murphy center at MTSU or Bridgestone because they still pull in more than they pay out. Same thing when they had it at UTC they always pulled in more than they paid out. The Championships should be on a big stage not at the Ag Center unless there is more added to it like a raised platform, spotlights etc. plus the usage of some kind of showers, heck bring in a few trailers and let the kids shower, it would be better than what there is now. I have been to the Ag Center once and will not go back, if they had it at Bridgestone or a place that has some excitement, less smell and dust than I might. I wrestled with really bad asthma having to do breathing treatments before each match and not sure I could wrestle where the state is now without some problems, the venue is a joke and it has nothing to do with it being away from Chattanooga, I went to MTSU and have no problem if they had it in Nashville just not where it is now. Free venue should have no effect in where it is located at if as you say TD2 the TSSAA is a non profit that is in it for the kids! The TSSAA is in it for themselves and its always been that way!

Talk about incompetence.

Non-profit doesn't mean 'you don't make a profit'. In fact very intelligent, wealthy individuals create private foundations. Not because they have big hearts. But because they want to tax shelter money.

Being non-profit simply means share holders aren't paid off the profits. There are no shareholders. The money simply goes back into the organization. But there are certainly 'consultants, administrators, etc.' who make money.

I like the way this has spurred conversation, but being 'non-proift' has nothing to do with anything.

Exactly what I am saying the same can be used for NCAA and the NFL all "non profit" organizations that just like the TSSAA are not as worried about the care or welfare of their institutions as they are putting their money back in their pockets and into their coffers. Plain and simple if the Ag Center started to charge and there was a pole barn that you could fit 1500 under and spend in between breaks huddled beside a heater, but it was free the TSSAA would take it in a second without second thoughts of what it meant to anyone else. The same was for football with it being removed from a beautiful stadium with Finley and moved to a crappy field and football stadium like TN Tech. Always boils down to money, cheapest bid wins even if they made 1,000,000 off of wrestling and could afford to put it at Bridgestone and make 900,000 they would not do it because of the loss of that 100k. Some states can be looked on as worried about their sports and you can see the growth they had there, wrestling in GA has a pretty nice setup and the football is played in the dome and the players love it! Of course the site will not be changed unless the Ag center has something come up and has to start charging and than we might see them look elsewhere so until than the kids are stuck wrestling in a place with very inadequate facilities, with uneven mats, and no shower facilities. Again I am from Chattanooga and got to wrestle at UTC and slept in my own bed etc, that those elsewhere complained about for years, but I would have traded that experience to wrestle in Bridgestone and see it covered with mats and all the divisions in one place wrestling together because I think that experience could be made amazing! Most of us never get to wrestle in college so our high experiences are limited, so wrestling in front of a huge crowd in a nice facility makes the actual experience.

Your quote,  "Talk about incompetence"

Cobrakid,  you are obviously a kid. Wait till you get into the real world. 

You really miss the point. Non-profit means that their records and books (to include income statement and balance sheet) are open to the public, just like a publicly held company,  vs a privately held business that is not obligated to disclose their income statement or balance sheet to the public.  I'm sure your mom or dad can explain to you what a balance sheet.  If your going to throw numbers around, do your due diligence.  $150,000 in profit was the quote. That could have easily been verified before putting it into writing. 

No wonder the TSSAA can't take most suggestions seriously.

Your quote, "Talk about incompetence"

Cobrakid, you are obviously a kid. Wait till you get into the real world.

You really miss the point. Non-profit means that their records and books (to include income statement and balance sheet) are open to the public, just like a publicly held company, vs a privately held business that is not obligated to disclose their income statement or balance sheet to the public. I'm sure your mom or dad can explain to you what a balance sheet. If your going to throw numbers around, do your due diligence. $150,000 in profit was the quote. That could have easily been verified before putting it into writing.

No wonder the TSSAA can't take most suggestions seriously.

Actually the " Talk about incompetence" came from the newest guy not cobra kid.

Designation as a nonprofit does not mean that the organization does not intend to make a profit, but rather that the organization has no owners and that the funds realized in the operation of the organization will not be used to benefit any owners. The extent to which an NPO can generate surplus revenues may be constrained or use of surplus revenues may be restricted. Copied. But obviously there are some pretty good salaries in many non- profit organizations and thus a motive for cheaper revenues to make more funds available for everything designated by the board including salaries.

Edited by anotherback
  • Upvote 1