Region IV-AAA or the Bye Bye Region

reftn

I will admit to not being a very astute wrestling fan.

I think Region IV should consider a name change for this region. 

Maybe we call it the D1 D2 style Region.  We take everybody.

106 EVERYBODY WELCOME TO THE STATE TOURNAMENT FROM REGION 4!  In that bracket it goes something like this:

bye, bye.  bye bye bye. bye bye.  bye bye bye...........Bye 

Show up and receive your medal.

Bye Bye because the top and second seeds win ONE match and have their ticket punched to the State Tournament!?

EIGHT teams in the entire region?

Surely there is some reason behind this.  The A-AA region III has 3x more teams.  You actually have to wrestle to achieve a state tournament invitation.

In fact, no other Region has such a favorable set up.  Is there any other AAA region with less than 15 teams?

Who got paid?  That's all I want to know.

What did it take?  About four hours to finish the tournament?  I bet you spent more time waiting on the 45 minute rule than you did wrestling.

Ok, I am ready to hear the reasoning why this occurs.  Is this a result of the split?   It seems to me to make more sense that Region IV sends the top two to the State tournament.  A region of 8 teams surely doesn't deserve to send the top four.

Are you guys really placing four deep in an eight team tournament?

If the top 4 teams aren't pulling a full 14 there should be some investigating.

I don't mean to stir things up, but does this not seem a little out of kilter?  I must be in for a bruising here, because everyone seems to think this is the way it should be.

Have a good day.

Edited by reftn

Well, I believe someone from region 4 just took a jab at WC for only placing 13 in what he calls "a weaker region"

Region 4 has 4 highly ranked teams and it falls off from there. In years to come region 6 & 7, perhaps even 5 will score just as many cumulative team points as region 4. This is an easy prediction for me, for we have seen this already occur when today's regions 5 & 6 were combined. Even The Great Bear Nation & Cleveland + Soddy could not surpass those totals in the early to mid 2000's.

It was war to get to the medal rounds back then, so the end result was a huge number of medallists from the mid-state area.

The whole landscape of wrestling is changing in Tennessee. The more divisions and separation they decide to add, the worse it looks. You have 3 large schools in Chattanooga proper, Soddy Daisy, Ooltewah, and East Hamilton. In reality these 3 are on the outlines of Chattanooga city limits. When I attended Red Bank we had 1200 kids, Hixson, E.Ridge, Central all had roughly the same amount of students. Chattanooga is now the small school capital of the state. Chattanooga needs to combine a few of these small public schools and save expense, but then they would have to admit what was at fault for so many small private schools being created. Combining Red Bank and Hixson would've made the most sense. Red banks enrolment was down to 650 students at one time, not sure what it is today but they spent a lot of money building a middle school right behind the high school. Coach Hall in the paper said today that Hixson was at about 900 students. Wrestling to me will always be about an individual working his/her butt off to be the best, the size of the school has no bearing on that what so ever. Wrestling is an individual sport at its soul. Our state should go back to an all inclusive individual state wrestling championship. Growth was an excuse to get away from the few dominate programs we have in the state. Coach Newman always threw it out to the McCallie team he won state when it was combined, as I felt then and now, its not the wrestlers fault that politics and a few coaches have pushed so hard for a split that doesn't help the sport of wrestling in our state and now they have created another division for public schools. The population is not there to support it.  I saw it last year and its more prevalent this year, weight classes are only going two or three deep with quality wrestlers. The competition is even more diluted this year, but that was their goal. I think Chattanooga should go to open enrollment, that would be fair to everyone. Reftn, it was bad looking at some of those brackets, I saw what you saw but the quality is there. A few kids didn't make weight from what I've read but I believe that tournament still housed some of our best talent in the state but its not the kids fault that Tssaa and some wrestling coaches have made a mockery of our sport. I guarantee that 99.9% of our states wrestlers would not have wanted a split tournament, not this year nor when the private/ public split was put on their backs. I may be proved wrong in the years down the road, the growth may come for our sport. But you can't make kids want to wrestle, its the hardest sport mentally and physically, alot of young people got better things to do with their time then go it alone on a wrestling mat and face the pressures of accepting that if you lose you only have yourself to blame. Coaches can blame school size....:) or recruiting:)

I will admit to not being a very astute wrestling fan.

I think Region IV should consider a name change for this region. 

Maybe we call it the D1 D2 style Region.  We take everybody.

106 EVERYBODY WELCOME TO THE STATE TOURNAMENT FROM REGION 4!  In that bracket it goes something like this:

bye, bye.  bye bye bye. bye bye.  bye bye bye...........Bye 

Show up and receive your medal.

Bye Bye because the top and second seeds win ONE match and have their ticket punched to the State Tournament!?

EIGHT teams in the entire region?

Surely there is some reason behind this.  The A-AA region III has 3x more teams.  You actually have to wrestle to achieve a state tournament invitation.

In fact, no other Region has such a favorable set up.  Is there any other AAA region with less than 15 teams?

Who got paid?  That's all I want to know.

What did it take?  About four hours to finish the tournament?  I bet you spent more time waiting on the 45 minute rule than you did wrestling.

Ok, I am ready to hear the reasoning why this occurs.  Is this a result of the split?   It seems to me to make more sense that Region IV sends the top two to the State tournament.  A region of 8 teams surely doesn't deserve to send the top four.

Are you guys really placing four deep in an eight team tournament?

If the top 4 teams aren't pulling a full 14 there should be some investigating.

I don't mean to stir things up, but does this not seem a little out of kilter?  I must be in for a bruising here, because everyone seems to think this is the way it should be.

Have a good day.

Reftn, You can call it the Bye Bye region or you can call it the TSSAA State Hardware Store.

FYI, Region 1 has 10 teams, Region 2 has 11, Region 3 has 8 just like Region 4.  It looks like the East Tennessee Regions just don't have enough AAA schools with wrestling. 

Edited by csemary

The whole landscape of wrestling is changing in Tennessee. The more divisions and separation they decide to add, the worse it looks. You have 3 large schools in Chattanooga proper, Soddy Daisy, Ooltewah, and East Hamilton. In reality these 3 are on the outlines of Chattanooga city limits. When I attended Red Bank we had 1200 kids, Hixson, E.Ridge, Central all had roughly the same amount of students. Chattanooga is now the small school capital of the state. Chattanooga needs to combine a few of these small public schools and save expense, but then they would have to admit what was at fault for so many small private schools being created. Combining Red Bank and Hixson would've made the most sense. Red banks enrolment was down to 650 students at one time, not sure what it is today but they spent a lot of money building a middle school right behind the high school. Coach Hall in the paper said today that Hixson was at about 900 students. Wrestling to me will always be about an individual working his/her butt off to be the best, the size of the school has no bearing on that what so ever. Wrestling is an individual sport at its soul. Our state should go back to an all inclusive individual state wrestling championship. Growth was an excuse to get away from the few dominate programs we have in the state. Coach Newman always threw it out to the McCallie team he won state when it was combined, as I felt then and now, its not the wrestlers fault that politics and a few coaches have pushed so hard for a split that doesn't help the sport of wrestling in our state and now they have created another division for public schools. The population is not there to support it. I saw it last year and its more prevalent this year, weight classes are only going two or three deep with quality wrestlers. The competition is even more diluted this year, but that was their goal. I think Chattanooga should go to open enrollment, that would be fair to everyone. Reftn, it was bad looking at some of those brackets, I saw what you saw but the quality is there. A few kids didn't make weight from what I've read but I believe that tournament still housed some of our best talent in the state but its not the kids fault that Tssaa and some wrestling coaches have made a mockery of our sport. I guarantee that 99.9% of our states wrestlers would not have wanted a split tournament, not this year nor when the private/ public split was put on their backs. I may be proved wrong in the years down the road, the growth may come for our sport. But you can't make kids want to wrestle, its the hardest sport mentally and physically, alot of young people got better things to do with their time then go it alone on a wrestling mat and face the pressures of accepting that if you lose you only have yourself to blame. Coaches can blame school size....:) or recruiting:)

+1

Maybe TSSAA should make this an open zone region and allow any team from the state to join.

Pretty biased post for a ref to make. Same one that called the head gear grabbing in the 2009 hwt finals?

What name do you have for (eight team) Region 3?

Yes. Somewhat biased. And this will probably copied and pasted to someone's phone or email. Oh well.

Biased?

Certainly not.  In order for something to be biased you have to have another to be biased to or against.

I have neither.

Wrestling at this stage (individuals) is about rounds.  D1 would roll their eyes that D2 was an automatic state qualifier because there was no region.  I would submit that Region 4 is no Region for the same reasons.

It is a powerful region.  And great great wrestling.  But terribly imbalanced.  Perhaps their can be no balance.

Maybe the middle TN, east and/or west should be allowed open zones, limiting wrestling schools to compete in wrestling zones so that the regions are little more than warm ups for the states.

It is a struggle when you look at a region that you win one match to punch your ticket to the state and that is somehow an accomplishment.

But it is what it is.

I don't think that was me that called pulling the headgear, perhaps so, but you avoid the question:

Was he pulling the headgear?

If he was, I called it.

Ha!

4 of the top 6 teams in the state in this region you're so jealous of.

RefTn you've been lobbying for 5 divisions on here for a while.

Of course you only want 2 teams and 2 individuals from this region going to state.

The top teams in this region has dominated the state for the past couple decades so even if it was a 4 team region it would still be the toughest in the state.

Have a nice day!

Edited by rlwest40

RfTn do a little research on the proposals made this past year during the realignment due to your additional divisions you've been begging for.

No other regions teams/coaches wanted to compete with these 4 schools so they were lumped together in their own region.

I'm sure region 4 will gladly accept any other teams that might want to join. Which teams/coaches do you think would be interested??