Region IV-AAA or the Bye Bye Region

reftn

Do away with all the regions, everyone is a state qualifier, seed top 8, top 6 medal, 2 days. If you can't handle that big of a tournament then you don't deserve to be a state placer. Is the state ready for that? Who would oppose that??

The state records wouldn't change, the teams from region 4 would still be on top and you'd still be looking for a reason to whine.

If you can't win your required 2 matches to qualify in the weaker regions then chances are you won't make it far at state so I really don't see your point. You really have no argument with this. Someone in a weaker region has to win 1 extra match than a kid in a loaded region facing top ranked wrestlers?

Advancing is a big part of it but it's purpose is to narrow the field to those who have the highest potential of winning. Medalist are simply recognized for coming close and that's all, the point is to decide a champion. If 1 round or 1 match against a weak opponent is enough to decide whether you qualify or not then chances are you're not ready or qualified to be a part of the narrowed field of possible champs.

How many wrestlers would rather had to qualify in region 4 than their own region??

Take it to the other extreme. Put the top 6 wrestlers in a 1 day round robin to decide the state champion. Top 6 would be selected on ranking criteria similar to seeding criteria. Current season head to head, previous state, nationals, etc. if you don't schedule and wrestle the best in the state through the season then you don't earn any criteria and aren't considered. So those region champs with a 50-1 record who haven't seen anyone all year and still can't place at state probably won't qualify.

Who would be willing to do this? Who would not want to do this??

Hahaha! Like I said it doesn't matter how you do it someone will always whine.

Edited by rlwest40

I think you are wrong about the personal attacks , number one.  It was a reference to you participation in the system. 

I also think you are looking at the circumstance way wrong as well.  That particular region, 4, no other teams really want to be in it, if you are honest with yourself.  You say it is a gimme, I think that it makes those that do not win the region have a much tougher time once they get to state.  You seems to say is is a coasting way to get to state, but  I think it is a difficult way to get to state with the placement you might deserve.  wrestling a kid in a 15 team region in the first round when you are the ranked kid means less than you are saying it means here, in my opinion.  Soddy, Cleveland, Bradley, Walker Valley all in one region......please, a cake walk it is not.

but even if you went 0-2 you would still go. I for one wouldn't care what region my boy was in. But it has always been disappointing to see small brackets. Your top placer in each weight would still go but probably not your 4th place guy. Yes it is a super tuff region. But I know once I knew I was in the state it would take  alot of pressure off . It sucks too see some triple overtime matches go on in the quarters and the loser go home when he loses another overtime match to the third place finisher, When you could be going no matter what if you were in a different region.So yes it makes a difference.   Re-unite= hard state heck of a fight to get there.  don't reunite easier path sometimes a gimme and a decent wrestler can get a medal at the state.  Its ok though if the 3rd and fourth are tough they'll prove it, by getting at least to the quarters. if it is not meant to be then 2 and home.

There is only one purpose for the Regional tournament; win and advance.

You can check your pride at the door, because you better advance. Throughout the Region 4 tournament, if your pride gets stepped on a little bit, no worries. Win one and you advance to the state and have the opportunity to keep your pride intact the very next weekend. This is why it is less meaningful than the larger regions.

It sounds like you would rather keep your pride in the Regional, fine. Most would rather keep it the next weekend.

That's exactly what I thought you'd say. And it's exactly what you don't understand about that region. Go to the Cleveland / Bradley match or In d2 go to McCallie / Baylor. Or any of the head to head matches from the top 4 in D1. You'd better bring your pride with you and try your best to keep it. It matters to the wrestlers. But you don't gab to believe me go see for yourself. I'm not saying other parts of the state aren't the same.

Maybe there are not enough large schools within a 100 mile radius to increase the size of region 4.  I don't know.

So maybe we go the other way and establish that all regions may have only 8 schools.and take the top two from each region to state, taking only the finals match.  I think you could get that done with 16 regions and then a 32 man bracket at the state.  You might have to vary it to a nine team in some areas.

Of course we have deviated from my time when all this would be mute.

District takes 4 to Regional

Regional takes 4 to State

32 man bracket.

Individuals are so different to me than duals. Various school administrators/coaches have such a problem competing with larger or prep schools.

Let the kids all wrestle! Why not? If you feel breaking out team scores by school size or whether private with scholarships, so be it, but allow the kids to wrestle!

Duals will suffice for divisions in actuality... It's so different than football and basketball and team members competing together with entirely different assignments & skill sets.

Does Cleveland Soddy or Bradley travel to any big tournaments? Only asking cause I don't know. Seems like they are always competing in Tn tourneys I only know of 1 west tn team that travels out of town and that's Houston and they go to the same Louisiana tourney every year

They don't need to travel. Each team hosts the toughest tourneys in the state.

Maybe there are not enough large schools within a 100 mile radius to increase the size of region 4. I don't know.

So maybe we go the other way and establish that all regions may have only 8 schools.and take the top two from each region to state, taking only the finals match. I think you could get that done with 16 regions and then a 32 man bracket at the state. You might have to vary it to a nine team in some areas.

Of course we have deviated from my time when all this would be mute.

District takes 4 to Regional

Regional takes 4 to State

32 man bracket.

The state championship is about finding out who the best is and crowning a champ, not figuring out ways to help more qualify for the tournament.

5 dual divisions is ridiculous for TN. The state does not have near enough depth for that but it would allow basically every team in the state to qualify for the championship.

Go back to the YMCA, ideas like yours don't belong in high school sports.

Does Cleveland Soddy or Bradley travel to any big tournaments? Only asking cause I don't know. Seems like they are always competing in Tn tourneys I only know of 1 west tn team that travels out of town and that's Houston and they go to the same Louisiana tourney every year

They don't travel to Memphis, no reason to lol.

On a more serious note, yes they do.

In addition they host some of the best tournaments in the state that draws many other state championship teams and even nationally ranked teams.

But of course you already knew that.

The state championship is about finding out who the best is and crowning a champ, not figuring out ways to help more qualify for the tournament.

5 dual divisions is ridiculous for TN. The state does not have near enough depth for that but it would allow basically every team in the state to qualify for the championship.

Go back to the YMCA, ideas like yours don't belong in high school sports.

are you a product the Hamilton county school system?you might possibly be able to get some money back what they tried to teach you in reading comprehension.

now we can discuss without being ugly.

several times on this thread I have advocated multiple divisions for state dual meets only. not individual

states.

would you have a problem with the reunification of done and d two?