spring fling ???

spikes7

I'm not saying it's right, but it is funny that the east Tennesseers now are going to know what it feels like to have to travel for the state meet. Here in the West we've been complaining for years. The kids love the chance to see somewhere new though, and I'll miss the excitement of getting to "go" to the state meet.

I feel a bit sorrier for the northeasterners though, but, if you're going to make a 5 hr. journey to Nashville, just make it 8 and come on to Memphis.

We really are excited here to show off all the great facilities that have been built over the past 10 years, and I think the kids will have fun being here.

I'm glad it's finally our turn.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We are not talking about having it in the East, but middle Tenn. so it is the same for all from both ends. We can stay for one night in Chatt and Nashville, just like the teams from West can do the same. There is a difference in one night and two. Maybe the the facilities in Knoxville can hold it real soon. It sure is much safer in Knoxville, or Chatt. than in Memphis.

Guest DiscoStu

it's a big difference between nashville and memphis. nashville is 5 and memphis is an 11 hour drive. that's why everyone in the northeast is so ticked about it.

$600.00 for a bus...if you pay that for a bus you have bigger problems....Who are you using? I would pay 600.00 for an entire season and then some....here is an idea get... your CDL license? Drive your own bus.

How long of a drive is it from District 4 to Chatt? Did you really need to spent the night?

I am from upper northeast tennessee and we can get to chatt in 3 hours...you have to be closer.

[Edited by LetsGoirish on 3-6-03 8:37A]

If you want to take responsibility for 45 athletes in your hands you do it. If you have a wreck then usually the expenses are not thousands,but millions. Even though you are driving the bus for a school your own liability is at stake. You could lose your home and many other things. Just so you know I have 2 days of competition. It would be $300 each day. So I choose to spend the night instead of making the trip back and forth each day. Do you drive back and forth, or only coach 1 gender. We don't have the priveledge of driving a county owned bus for free. Yes I could drive a bus owned by some one else, but for liability I choose not to. If I were you I would check to make sure that you will not be held liable. Remember if you wreck and any kids get hurt it might be in the millions. My friend owns a bus and he carries 44 million dollars on his buses. That way each bus is covered up to 44 million dollars. Anything over would come directly out of his pocket. I would love to save my track team $125.00 a trip for away meets, but I don't want to put what me and my wife and kids have in jeapordy.

[Edited by 4AFAN on 3-6-03 9:44A]

"We don't have the priveledge of driving a county owned bus for free" What system is this? Who is running your transportation department? Even if you have your CDL? Do you belong to TEA or TACA? Both carry liability for you 1 million each. TSSAA carries catastrphic also. The number of your athletes keep growing 23 to 45. Just an observastion from your posts.

"We don't have the priveledge of driving a county owned bus for free" What system is this? Who is running your transportation department? Even if you have your CDL? Do you belong to TEA or TACA? Both carry liability for you 1 million each. TSSAA carries catastrphic also. The number of your athletes keep growing 23 to 45. Just an observastion from your posts.

Guest kenwoodrun

Irish is correct about the insurance. Our system here in Clarksville allocates one "activity" bus to all 6 high schools, to which the spring sports are all currently sharing. I got the CDL because I know it would save us some change, and it has a little. The restriction Clarksville and some other systems place on you though, is the radius in which you can drive. So if we wanted an overniter, we'd still have to pony up the money to go somewhere.

From liability issues, you are more liable having athletes pole vault than you are driving a bus :rolleyes:

I was told that by a Principal several years ago. I appreciate the inforamtion. That will save us about $1000 dollars a year. We took 30 kids last year only 23 competed, but taking those extra few sure has helped recruit better athletes to run track this year. I only lost 3 seniors from last years team. I gained 22 Freshman this year. I will probably lose a couple of kids, but most of these run AAU track. I do carry an umbrella policy on my own, but I was still nervous about the liability.