spring fling ???

spikes7

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest FreedirtyXC

I am curious on where the State Track Meet is going to be as well. I agree with you spikes7, Nashville would be better? Do you run track? What school are you with?

Guest kenwoodrun

That was the topic of much speculation back in the summer...to the best of my knowledge, the host school is going to be outside of Memphis a little bit...I believe it was a A-AA or a DII school that is actually proposed as the site...but it's not the U of Memphis or any major facility that I know of.

I'm still bummed Nashville's bid lost out, I thought they put together a really good package. Some of you may remember when good ole' MBA hosted it.

Guest Gremlin1946

I would have to agree with crazydave. I also think that it is impractical for chatt. teams to drive through Nashville to get to Memphis. Also, the meet isn't even being held at a well-known track, like the University of Memphis. I think that the meet would have done much better in Nashville.

actually vandy was going to host the entire spring fling (all sports) on its campus. i mean, how often have and of you track guys gotten to watch a friend play soccer, or a girlfriend play softball at state? how awesome would it have been to have all 5 sports on one college campus. hows that for atmosphere!! too bad it didnt work out. forget chattanooga's drive. what about knoxville? bristol? and johnson city? pushing 8 hours probably. i'm not sure but i believe the track will be hosted by briarcrest. dont quote me on that though.

Being purely selfish, I'm delighted that Spring Fling will take place in the Memphis area since I live in west Tennessee. However, this wasn't a good choice. As other posters have stated, the logical choice is a central location such as Nashville or Murfreesboro.

This type of foolishness is even worse if you're in AAU track and field. Most of those meets are held in Johnson City! If you think that's bad for the athletes from Memphis, what about those from Mobile, Alabama? A good central location for the Southeastern AAU Association meet would be Huntsville, Alabama. But who says we have to make these kinds of decisions on a rational and fair basis?

Guest bartlettcc

The track site is Briarcrest. the track is awesome, brand new, spongy surface, lots of bleachers, seperate shot area, multiple runways for the jumps. In my opinion, it is nicer than GPS.

From what I have been told, teams will the option to stay free in the U of M dorms.

Also, the baseball championships will be played in Autozone park, our AAA Redbirds park. This is the top ranked AAA park in the US.

I agree, Spring Fling should be centralized somewhere in the middle of the state. But we have to play the hand dealt to us. Maybe TSSAA will establish some sort of rotation between cities. That would be fair. To be honest I think the people who have anything to complain about would be the far East schools. Memphis teams have had to drive the 5 hours to Chatt for some time now.

• 4 weeks later...

Im not sure how Chattanooga lost the bid or Nashville at that. This Makes it harder for teams to travel from the East. They were not sure of were the location would be held for the track meet for sure. I did here from Ronnie Carter's secretary that they think it will be held at Briar Crest, but that is not in stone yet. The Autozone Park is nice, but that is no longer an option due to the Minor league team playing during that week. I also understand that the soccer tournament will still be held in Chattanooga. If anyone knows different on the track location please tell me.