ALCOA POWERhouse !?

ALCOAgoon

Wreatling God. That's just plain silly. How old are you anyway?

Old enough. It's almost all I heard from uneducated goobs this weekend from small school. People saying that certain small school teams would've won any division or certain weights the individual champs would've won any division there may have been a couple that would've medaled but the people they were saying is ridiculous. I'm a Page High alum and I'm 100% against this split.

It just annoys me to watch a kid tech pin another then the better one not medal and the other finish really high in A-AA.

It didn't hurt Brandon Womack from Scottsboro's smallest school division. Because he went and wrestled everyone, including in Tennessee & Ga, he got himself a ticket Coach Koll's Cornell!!!

Keep it up Blount co area coaches & families,,, you never know where your boys may end up. But do wrestle everyone ;)

Give it time. Don't listen to the goobs. The flower didn't start as a flower, it started as a seed. It takes time for the seed to grow. It also needs room or it will smother. Be patient and see what the change produces. If in a few years it fails everyone can join in and say "we told you so"

If it is successful then the nay sayers will have to find another lane to travel in. Easy enough. So many of the greatest wrestling states have split divisions. Are they wrong? I don't know. They seem to have something figured out. One thing I have noticed. They aren't bitching about it! They are moving forward.

Alcoa is small but so it's this Plymber's son from Alabama...

Scottsboro's Brandon Womack: 'The best I've ever seen in Alabama' wraps up perfect year and sixth championship

Six-time state champ Brandon Womack, with Scottsboro coach Daryle Qualls (Sarah Cole/scole@al.com)

By Mark McCarter | mmccarter@al.com

Email the author | Follow on Twitter

on February 15, 2014 at 4:53 PM, updated February 15, 2014 at 9:44 PM

View/Post Comments

HUNTSVILLE, Alabama - Kyle Wilson, a senior at Haydn High School with a shock of strawberry-blond hair and more than three-dozen wins to his credit this season, came bouncing off the mat and into the air.

Wilson was pinned in 35 seconds. But he was ecstatic. Early in the match, he had managed to somehow extricate himself from the grasp of Brandon Womack, a feat somewhere along the lines of a handcuffed Houdini escaping from an underwater cage and bobbing to the surface.

"I got two! I got two!" Wilson exclaimed. As he held up two fingers, leaping into his coach's embrace, it was the closest to a "V for victory sign" that 77 wrestlers could hoist this season against Womack.

On Saturday afternoon at the Von Braun Center, Womack, a senior at Scottsboro High, won his record-tying sixth state championship. It completed his high school career with a 422-8 record (five of those losses coming as a seventh-grader) and his 77-0 record this season is the most wins in an undefeated season in state history. His first-period victory over Mortimer Jordan's Devyn McCombs in the finals was his 327th career pin.

"I've coached five All-Americans and one Dave Schultz Award (for best wrestler in the state) winner, and he's the best I've ever coached," said Scottsboro coach Daryle Qualls. "Honestly, I've been on this mat for 44 years. He's the best I've ever seen in Alabama. Nobody's accomplished what he's done."

"Pretty doggone good. You've got to give him a lot of credit. He's pretty impressive," said Grissom coach Joe Dasaro, who has known Womack "since he was a little pipsqueak."

Those credentials and that reputation precede every trip onto the mat for Womack, who is headed on scholarship to Cornell University, the sixth-ranked team in the NCAA. You don't know how many of his were matches won partly by intimidation, or if indeed he had it tougher than most, the old desperado tested by all the young gunslingers.

"I hear it," Womack said. "It's hard not to."

And when a gunslinger like Wilson reverses him for two points, Womack knows that "anything can happen in any match. You have to know how to wrestle from any position."

What has kept Womack focused and motivated is a bit of artwork Qualls commissioned several years ago.

"It says, 'If what you've done yesterday is something, you haven't done anything today,'" Womack recited. "I just live by that."

"If I put something up on the wall, it's there for a reason," Qualls said. "Some people walk by it every day. Brandon will look at that and dissect it and see how that will make him better."

What separates Womack from others is a relentless passion and work ethic.

He was three, maybe four years old, when he became enamored with the sport, as older brother "Little Billy" wrestled, rolling around on the mat. When Brandon was seven, he told his parents Billy and Teresa, "I want to be the best I can be." The elder Womack agreed to do what he could as long as Brandon put in the work.

"There's going to be sacrifices other kids won't make," Billy told him. To which his son responded, "That's what I want."