Region 7AA Tournament

GCPioneer

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Martin middle schools point guard is a stud... very small but extremely good ball player..look for her to challenge the older girls for minutes immediately

Agree completely! She could have started this year for Westview as a point guard. Her mom hit the winning free throws when Westview won state in 1996 so she gets her talent honestly. The good thing about her is her court vision and the way she plays defense. Westview will be glad to have her next year!

Martin middle schools point guard is a stud... very small but extremely good ball player..look for her to challenge the older girls for minutes immediately

Agree completely. She is extremely good at ball distribution and handles the rock extremely well. Currently, I believe there are 9 Freshman and with the upcoming 8th graders---I expect a very strong team in a couple of years. Next year I foresee some team learning and the unit getting better, after that I expect to see some domination.

Go Westview!

GCP since 42 is from your end of the county and seems to be "close to a rookie on this site" give him a history lesson on Volbert before he ends up getting his whole foot in his mouth! LOL!

SLS sounds like to me you are the rookie. Obviously you need a history lesson on him. I don't need a history lesson on him. I have watched him coach about 100 games in the last 5 years. I watched him blow a 22 point lead late in the 3rd quarter against GC in Region Championship in Brownsville in 2008 because he hasn't a clue how to break a press. He had 3 D1 players on that team. His players can't defend a low post, don't know how to box out, don't set screens on inbound plays while on offense against full court presses, he subbed 5 players in every 30 seconds until the parents went to the school board threatening to quit if he didn't change his style, after his center a made a free throw with 30 seconds left last Fri.  he called TO before she shot her 2nd free throw in what we thought was to set up a full court press to steal the IB or foul after she made the 2nd free throw. Well, she made the 2nd and they sprinted  the other end of the court and didn't contest the inbound pass, which a steal could tie the game. He refuses to have any kind of summer leaugue play. You can ask any parent of GC's players and ask how they feel about their coach and you will get a 100% approval in the way their program is run. Same with Westview. Not with South Gibson. GC's coach plays ball year round and is the organizer of the whole summer operation. I am for Volbert because he is South Gibson's coach. They did improve when he changed the 30 second 5 man sub pattern. But you ask anyone on this end of the county that knows basketball if they are happy. i have followed GC for years and we have been to multiple state tournaments and have won state championships. Please explain to me a nice history lesson on how he will get South Gibson to the promise land. Because he has the talent. GC's coach would do wonders with SG's talent. I am all ears.

So if you have been following him that long you must know in 2009 he took that same group of kids to the finals of AA state tourney. If I am not mistaken he defeated the best talent that 13AA has seen in this area in a long time if not ever. Part of that talent was the 3 D1 players that was on the GC team coached by McMillan & Russell. Part of that talent was at least 2 D1 players with OC, Westview and Dyersburg. You would also know he took the Milan program from awful to the state finals. So a question if a coach practices breaking presses, boxing out, practice plays, etc, etc and the kids on the floor do not execute I assume you are saying that is always a coaches fault. Maybe we should get rid of them all in that case!! :popcorneater:     

So if you have been following him that long you must know in 2009 he took that same group of kids to the finals of AA state tourney. If I am not mistaken he defeated the best talent that 13AA has seen in this area in a long time if not ever. Part of that talent was the 3 D1 players that was on the GC team coached by McMillan & Russell. Part of that talent was at least 2 D1 players with OC, Westview and Dyersburg. You would also know he took the Milan program from awful to the state finals. So a question if a coach practices breaking presses, boxing out, practice plays, etc, etc and the kids on the floor do not execute I assume you are saying that is always a coaches fault. Maybe we should get rid of them all in that case!! :popcorneater:     

GC won the state in 2009 and 2010. It was 2008. I watched the whole tournament. They played Upperman, McMinn Central and Marshall County. Milan was loaded that year, so I am not buying giving him all the credit for the Runner-Up finish. I am not sold on this guy and no one else that follows South Gibson is either. He coaches the least amount of time he can. He is not a coach who is going to play year round like his competition. Their is a lot of rich tradition in Gibson County with girls basketball. I am very impressed with the way GC's coach is running his program. I apologize if he is your friend or relative or you are from Milan and thought he was the best coach you guys ever seen. He is going to win a lot of games at South Gibson, because he has great talent if they all stay but I would take Dudley from Crockett County, Richardson back from Bradford, the GC coach or Westview coach any day of the week over him. I don't know the guy personally so he may be a great human being. So this is not a knock on him personally. This is about coaching basketball. I am rooting for him because he is the coach. I just wish he was putting in more time to build a powerhouse like GC's coach is because he has a ton of talent.

Sorry Bobcat83, I have to disagree.  Yes Pipkin is a key player for success, but they also have 4 other players and a couple from bench that have been contributing 200%.  The past few games #33 has really picked it up and has been a force to be reckoned with, while #32 played Friday night with the stomach virus and still dominated the boards and put up some key shots.  Paige Pipkin is my niece and I appreciate you putting so much worth on her, which I do too, but don't underestimate the rest of the Lady Eaglettes, especially at tournament time.  Tournament separate the real teams, it can get crazy, and could be anyone's game.

Well Dyersburg got the win over Chester Co by 17 and then Westview got the win in overtime by 3 over McNairy Co. So........Dyersburg vs Westview in the championship ROUND 4!

I am glad Westview won. I have followed them around the last 3 years when we would got knocked out. Amber Reechis has really helped my neice at summer camps at Union the last two years and has really been good to her. I wish her sister and all the Westview fans good luck. I think Westview has the offensive game to win it all if they get hot. I think they need to be more consistent on the defensive side of the ball. Looks like they played pretty well on defense tonight only allowing McNairy 43 points. McNairy is never an easy team to defend with all the motion Lott runs.

What a dog fight! McNairy was bombing in the first quarter and they were a tough team. Dyersburg pulled away in the 2nd half over Chester County. I expect another hard-fought game and hope we can get the W. Come on down to Chester County on Wednesday night...if it's been like the first 3, it should be a heck of a game.

Shout out to the Bobcats---you played a good game and it could have went either way.

The Leyhue twins decided last night that they weren't ready for their senior year to end. Kendall often gets overshadowed by Kaley but is a real clutch player. She knocked down big free throws in the overtime period. It seems like last year about this time is when she really came on big for the Chargers as well as this year. She is a clutch player!

Wednesday night against Dyersburg should be a great game! Round 4 and if the pattern continues, then it should be Westview's turn to win but time will tell. I sure hope Westview has a better shooting night than they did last night. Nothing seemed to fall! Good luck to both teams! They will represent Region 7AA well in substate!