8AA

Onthedirt

This. I mean I don't agree with running scores up, but there comes a time when you just don't know what else to do. You can't just get out on purpose. How fair is it to tell the ones finally getting playing time to screw up on purpose? From my experience, after playing good teams all weekend with great pitchers, the ball almost seems to be in slow motion when you play against a pitcher that isn't quite what you are used to. Not a knock on her, but just a guess at what happened.

I was there at the game tonight. The York girls have got several issues going on. Some softball related and some not but it affects some of the players. I understand the Dekalb has a freshman pitcher as does York but not all players are at the same caliber and that is evident. York also doesn't really have a backup pitcher. The one they brought in from center field (a jr) to pitch when the freshman took a line drive shot to her throwing hand has only pitched 3 innings in a game her entire life (other than a couple innings here and there in a jv game maybe). Those 3 innings were pitched last Friday nite so it's not like she's been a pitcher all her life like some have been obviously. She's never had pitching lessons and she's never played traveling softball. Bet that can't be said about the Dekalb players can it?  In all honesty, she had more than "10 hittable pitches". How do you think the ball got into the outfield when it did? Yeah she walked some on (maybe even a lot in every one elses eyes) but what do you expect from someone who doesn't pitch and gets called upon to do so at the spur of the moment. She did have strikes on some of the girls. She did put the ball over the plate numberous times. Maybe if some of the others had been able to come up with a play to make an out when the ball was hit the innings would've been shorter and the score not as much but that didn't happen tonight. This jr plays center field for a reason -  because she is able to cover almost the entire field. This same jr was voted 2nd team all district defense last year because of her fielding abilities - not because of her pitching capabilities. And was the only player from York to recieve an award. Granted it was only 2nd team but it is what it is. I'm sure the others that got voted for 2nd team are proud of their accomplishments. Don't ya think? I've seen York play better ball. I've seen them hit the ball and field the ball but it didn't happen tonight. So, before you go to talking to much about how basically "bad" the girl pitched, maybe you should find out a little about it first. At least she had the guts to get up there when called to do so all the while knowing that she isn't a pitcher. What would you have done if you had been in their shoes? And before anyone comes back and says "This must be the girl's mother"...You darn right I am - and proud of it!

We will agree to disagree. I would never tell someone to get out on purpose. Find a pitcher that can get it across the plate.

I will bet one of these days when you kid is on the other side of one of these scores you will appreciate the decency of a coach that doesn't embarrass your child and his/her team. I bet in years past when upperman LA cannon beat the dekalb girls basketball by 50 you thought they should have called the dogs off.

So what would you have done? I'm curious. Got to talk to someone who was there and said there were less than 10 "hittable" pitches thrown all night. It was either in the clouds or rolling on the ground.

Do you tell your freshmen to get out on purpose?

I have much respect for Bond & his program but this was ridiculous. Yes, you tell your girls to get out on purpose before you run the score up 31 in 3 innings!!!! First you tell your girls not to change their play...swing hard & run bases good but when you see the game is getting way out of control (should have noticed in 1st inning) you have them get out. Don’t dumb it down or not play your best, but instead as a coach YOU have your girls lead off early & make 3 outs at once to end the inning....THAT IS EXACTLY what you do. In your own words you said maybe 10 hittable balls....so how it that helping DeKalb’s hitters even those he subbed in? I know for my girls slower or erratic pitchers hurt my batters more than anything. When she walked bases loaded I would have called time & had all 3 lead off early.

So, as far as Tiger Pride 23 asking how do you say "Ok girls I know this is your only chance for playing time but I need you to go get out for me"...you say it because your team does what you tell them! THAT IS PART OF IT….THEY RESPECT YOU & WILL DO WHAT YOU ASK EVEN IF THEY DON’T UNDERSTAND IT. Think this helped your girls since there were “Less than 10 hittable balls†or helped York getting beat like that? From reading post Dekalb has beat everyone they have come in contact with, so, I’m sure your Freshman have had plenty of play time in varsity & I’m sure JV games help too.  So you can’t use that as an excuse.

I have to give York CF credit for stepping up when called on….. Not a pitcher but she did what her coach asked, didn’t ask questions & never gave up. That would mean more to me than beating a team by 31.

Edited by Turnadouble

Just beat Houston co. again in the semis 3-0 to move to 12-0. Playing Powell right now in the championship game. Wow these girls are playing their 5th game today.

Saying cookeville was a measuring stick was nowhere close lol. Least of our worries in this tournament

Houston co. TN did not play in this tournament thanks

"After winning two games Friday, the DeKalb County Tigerettes claimed five more victories Saturday to win the Gordonsville Tournament played at Cane Ridge Park in Cookeville.

In the tournament on Saturday, DeKalb County defeated Henry County 2 to 1, Gordonsville 1 to 0, Whitwell 4 to 3, Houston County 3 to 0, and Knoxville Powell 5 to 4. On Friday, the Tigerettes beat Cookeville 10 to 1 and Houston County 6 to 5."

From the local news site. Not sure what's up with the scores being taken down?

http://www.wjle.com/sports/tigerettes-win-gordonsville-tournament

I will bet one of these days when you kid is on the other side of one of these scores you will appreciate the decency of a coach that doesn't embarrass your child and his/her team. I bet in years past when upperman LA cannon beat the dekalb girls basketball by 50 you thought they should have called the dogs off.

I have been to many Upperman/LA/Cannon vs Dekalb girls basketball games in which, Dekalb girls got beat by 20,30,40 points.   In all of these games, Upperman/LA/Cannon kept their starters in well into the 4th period and in most of the games, they pressed the entire game.   I don't remember seeing you or anyone else post anything on here bashing their coaches. 

Nope we never cried about it. There's no point. Happens everytime just a different sport. We just congratulate the girls on their effort and move on. I am surprised honestly at the complaining. We won the fist game of the season 23-1 and I haven't heard a single word from anyone until now.

Edited by TigerPride23