Mt. Pleasant

cubs1

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

WH, ole cwoodball must not have been paying too much attention to the Smith years before Marco. One of the worst years mTp beat Cwood was during the '04 year - 56 to 0 was the final score - and that team was loaded with talent. If memory serves me correct, Marco was a Freshman and only got to play some the 4th qtr.

That's the only time I've ever seen MP loaded with talent. Where was Smith during the years before that. Without Marco his record wouldn't have been the same. I saw Dailey singlehandedly beat Collinwood several times. I bet Marcos body is already broken down. That kid took a beating and kept going. Tough. C wood is down. But they will be back soon. I hope.lol

Yeah... Good game too despite WC losing... Y'all had a good team with a darn good QB that year, but mTp was just loaded up with too many weapons for y'all to handle..... Biggest crowd I've ever seen in mTp that game too. Bleachers filled both sides and fence row around the field standing room only. Wayne County was heavily favored to win that one with the QB you all had... Hated to hear the loss of him. Hard to talk about I imagine.

RIP Ruddle. Heck of an athelete. Better man.

That's the only time I've ever seen MP loaded with talent. Where was Smith during the years before that. Without Marco his record wouldn't have been the same. I saw Dailey singlehandedly beat Collinwood several times. I bet Marcos body is already broken down. That kid took a beating and kept going. Tough. C wood is down. But they will be back soon. I hope.lol

Don't know for sure what year Smith took over. I'm thinking around '02.... Wholder would know for sure.

Smith's records at mTp, Zion Christian, and now Giles Co., are just like any other coaches records are. Product's of their own coaching ability and No Doubt the talent they have to work with. I'm sure Smith along with any other coach would tell us that.

mTp may be back to good form and high levels of competition; it's more of a question of when? Got to have a good coach with a team loaded with talent. As of right now mTp has neither. 2 limited talented weapons does not make a team. I understand that Marco Dailey was a one man weapon that pretty much made the team what it was for those years..... But I think we all agree Marco was very exceptional.

I am keeping my fingers crossed and hopes high that mTp will get a darn good coach that can entice those fast/strong young ones walking the halls there to come out and become the star athletes mTp needs them to be. For mTp to be the strong competitors they've become known to be.

Edited by Big Bigby

Don't know for sure what year Smith took over. I'm thinking around '02.... Wholder would know for sure.

Smith's records at mTp, Zion Christian, and now Giles Co., are just like any other coaches records are. Product's of their own coaching ability and No Doubt the talent they have to work with. I'm sure Smith along with any other coach would tell us that.

mTp may be back to good form and high levels of competition; it's more of a question of when? Got to have a good coach with a team loaded with talent. As of right now mTp has neither. 2 limited talented weapons does not make a team. I understand that Marco Dailey was a one man weapon that pretty much made the team what it was for those years..... But I think we all agree Marco was very exceptional.

I am keeping my fingers crossed and hopes high that mTp will get a darn good coach that can entice those fast/strong young ones walking the halls there to come out and become the star athletes mTp needs them to be. For mTp to be the strong competitors they've become known to be.

mount pleasant had a lot more talent than Marco in those years, and I think they would have been more successful if it was taken advantage of.  I think in the game yall lost to Jackson Christian (I believe it was them) he ran the ball somethiing like 40 times.  

Don't underestimate the loss of Coach Jerry Fowler, who led the Mt. Pleasant Youth Football program for years. Not sure how strong the organization is now, but there may be a link between the two. Your program and participation will only be as strong as it's feeders. If kids don't keep playing eventually they will get used to it. :popcorneater:

mount pleasant had a lot more talent than Marco in those years, and I think they would have been more successful if it was taken advantage of. I think in the game yall lost to Jackson Christian (I believe it was them) he ran the ball somethiing like 40 times.

Yeah, I agree in part, but the backfield and only good receiver Marco had (Stoops and Clifton) just didn't produce much after the hand-off or catch. Clifton was just as fast if not a step faster than Marco but had trouble getting to open field to burn the defense. Stoops was more a power runner up the middle for close TD'S or 1st downs..... All three of them struggled badly against Jackson Christian.... It was just JC's year. They flat out dominated mTp the 2nd half. 2nd half Stoops and Clifton went no where hardly and Marco barely got 100 yds. that entire game..... JC had 2 Def. Corners, 1 LB, 1 safety that was all just as fast as Marco and Clifton. Privates were the only things stopping mTp from having 2 gold balls those years.... Those years being JC in '08(I think) and DCA in '04..... The '03-'04 years was the best talented team mTp fielded in many years. You have to go back to an early 90's team and back again to the early 80's (Wade 'Rabbit' McNeece and Stacey Jones) to find such talented teams.... '88 team wasn't too shabby neither.

I don't think I am wrong in thinking the '03-'04 team was the team who all played together since cub football and won the state championship in pee wee/Jr league football....They had a long time to gel and get to know and count on each others abilities. They were good. Good backs and receivers, good defense. Perfect season until they met up with DCA at home and of all times to have a bad game, it was that one right before the championship game. Chris Wooden (DCA) ran all over,around,and through them that game. Against an mTp defense that left a many,many goose eggs on the scoreboard that year.

Edited by Big Bigby

Don't underestimate the loss of Coach Jerry Fowler, who led the Mt. Pleasant Youth Football program for years. Not sure how strong the organization is now, but there may be a link between the two. Your program and participation will only be as strong as it's feeders. If kids don't keep playing eventually they will get used to it. :popcorneater:

Good point.

Yeah, I agree in part, but the backfield and only good receiver Marco had (Stoops and Clifton) just didn't produce much after the hand-off or catch. Clifton was just as fast if not a step faster than Marco but had trouble getting to open field to burn the defense. Stoops was more a power runner up the middle for close TD'S or 1st downs..... All three of them struggled badly against Jackson Christian.... It was just JC's year. They flat out dominated mTp the 2nd half. 2nd half Stoops and Clifton went no where hardly and Marco barely got 100 yds. that entire game..... JC had 2 Def. Corners, 1 LB, 1 safety that was all just as fast as Marco and Clifton. Privates were the only things stopping mTp from having 2 gold balls those years.... Those years being JC in '08(I think) and DCA in '04..... The '03-'04 years was the best talented team mTp fielded in many years. You have to go back to an early 90's team and back again to the early 80's (Wade 'Rabbit' McNeece and Stacey Jones) to find such talented teams.... '88 team wasn't too shabby neither.

I don't think I am wrong in thinking the '03-'04 team was the team who all played together since cub football and won the state championship in pee wee/Jr league football....They had a long time to gel and get to know and count on each others abilities. They were good. Good backs and receivers, good defense. Perfect season until they met up with DCA at home and of all times to have a bad game, it was that one right before the championship game. Chris Wooden (DCA) ran all over,around,and through them that game. Against an mTp defense that left a many,many goose eggs on the scoreboard that year.

I think the fact was more on the simple, almost dumbed down offense mt.pleasant ran.  They probably ran the same 3-5 plays 90% of the game, and threw the ball maybe twice.  I realize it was probably with the "if its not broke dont fix it menality"  which is fine until you can't run those few plays anymore.                            

but regardless the past is the past!

Edited by Monkey Wrench

I think the fact was more on the simple, almost dumbed down offense mt.pleasant ran. They probably ran the same 3-5 plays 90% of the game, and threw the ball maybe twice. I realize it was probably with the "if its not broke dont fix it menality" which is fine until you can't run those few plays anymore.

but regardless the past is the past!

True during regular season that year, but Smith did mix it up when he seen it not going no where in the JC game.... Tried throwing more but nobody open and pressure from defense was too great. Even in passing situations they got to Marco when no one else had.... Smith pulled the offense in tight into a 4 set (jumbo) backfield to put more blockers in front of Marco. I thought this was the right move. Didn't work as well as thought neither.

Plain and simple it was JC's year. mTp hadn't faced a defense that Fast all year. Could not defend on offense JC's abilities of swarming to the ball. No matter what a coach did. Only so many plays or offenses you can teach HS'ers.

Hey, point taken during regular season. 10 regular season games no one stopped it. No one stopped it during the qtr. finals.... But when mTp got to the best of the best?.?.? Even showing different schemes on offense, which kept the game close the 1st half, the best played better ball the 2nd half and won the game....Plain and simple.

Ain't the first time the 'all the eggs in one basket' theory has been tossed about in football talk in mTp. :)

I can't really figure out why things are so tight lipped over the resigning and hiring process of mTp's Head Coach?.?.?

Nothing around town.... Not a word as to any prospects......

One would think the school Ad. were building something for the government like the A bomb.

Maybe they haven't got anybody interested in the job.