New Classification Idea

rebelboy121

Most teams in rural areas have a good bit of travel anyways! At least they would be traveling to play schools close to the same size!

They already play teams close to the same size???

What are you people wanting? Do you want basketball to be like boxing and have 17 different classifacations?? I wonder who'll be the favorite to win the 407-424 student classifacation next year?

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You're absolutely right. Having 15 and 16 year olds not getting home till 1AM 2 nights a week for 3 months at a time or later is TOTALLY worth it. Gah I'm such an idiot. I'm glad you're here tto set the record straight.

What are you people wanting? Do you want basketball to be like boxing and have 17 different classifacations?? I wonder who'll be the favorite to win the 407-424 student classifacation next year?

Well I knew someone would throw this stuff out, so let's be honest would that probably make things more competitive sure. Is it fair for a school with almost 500 to be in the district with a school that has 200 in A or a school with 950 playing a school with 550 in AA or a school with 2,000 playing a school with 1,000 in AAA. It makes no sense. If you saw the 6 class proposal that was posted earlier in this thread, that may be the best I have personally seen in Tennessee.

As far as the travels, who cares look at district 9-A and 10-A. That regional goes from Huntland on the Alabama line to Clarksville and west to Houston County. How is that for travel, but guess what they do it. If it is that big of a deal then play teams in your distinct 1 time per year and rotate from year to year home and away. Then schedule other local teams in other classes to have the traditional rivals and 'money games' on the schedule.

Also under the current format, you have teams that can lose 3 times and still win the 'state championship', 3 times, ridiculous! You have one team that I know in the state tourney this week with 3 losses in the tournament this year. That needs to be CHANGED FOR SURE!

Edited by attila

Well I knew someone would throw this stuff out, so let's be honest would that probably make things more competitive sure. Is it fair for a school with almost 500 to be in the district with a school that has 200 in A or a school with 950 playing a school with 550 in AA or a school with 2,000 playing a school with 1,000 in AAA. It makes no sense. If you saw the 6 class proposal that was posted earlier in this thread, that may be the best I have personally seen in Tennessee.

As far as the travels, who cares look at district 9-A and 10-A. That regional goes from Huntland on the Alabama line to Clarksville and west to Houston County. How is that for travel, but guess what they do it. If it is that big of a deal then play teams in your distinct 1 time per year and rotate from year to year home and away. Then schedule other local teams in other classes to have the traditional rivals and 'money games' on the schedule.

Also under the current format, you have teams that can lose 3 times and still win the 'state championship', 3 times, ridiculous! You have one team that I know in the state tourney this week with 3 losses in the tournament this year. That needs to be CHANGED FOR SURE!

Serious question because I do not know.  who is this team that has lost 3 times since district started?  And did they beat your team in the tournament after losing a game?

I looked at the 9A and 10A schedule for basketball.  9A teams maybe played 3 times (i might have missed one) against 10A in the regular season. then they played in the 5A region tourny.

I really don't care about how many classes they have but the first thing they need to do is split public and private and if they don't want to do that then make every private school that wants to play in Div I play at the highest classification i.e. 6A in football and 3A in all other sports. This would level out the playing field a lot more than it is. Your Goodpastures and CPA's of the world would then be competing with Siegal, Blackman, White Station, Maryville in football etc...

I will agree with you here. That falls back to my idea, only take 3 teams from each district to the regionals. Right now, the district championship game doesn't mean a whole lot (both teams get home court advantage for 1st round regional games) and the 3rd place game doesn't mean a whole lot (both will play on the road.) If you only take 3, BOTH games become far more important. If you win the championship, you get a bye. If you play in the 3rd place game, you have to win or else you go home.

And I know some people will say that some districts are stacked and you can have 4 very good teams in one district, and that is very true. But in my opinion, if you lose TWICE in your own district tournament, you don't deserve to advance.

Now I am perfectly fine with the region championship game not being an elimanation game, because some regions are just far weaker than others. Prime example this year is Region 4A vs Region 3A.

Please look at how Alabama reclassified with 7 divisions and compare that to how Tennessee does it. It only requires a bare minimal of common sense to understand how much that type of breakdown would benefit schools in Tennessee.

http://highschoolsports.al.com/news/article/5400683244727820341/ahsaa-reclassification-by-the-numbers-where-your-school-fell-in-terms-of-enrollment-for-2014-16/#/0

Don't some of the division II districts play each school only once? I wonder how that is going? Does anyone else do this?