The Glass House......Spring retreat for District 7A

7Awatcher

I seriously doubt JC has any there from York.. Driving from Jamestown to Gainsboro every morning would be quite a haul. I mean, there's an entire county between the two.

34 Phillips transferred from White Co a couple years ago, her family moved to Gainesboro. She was a reserve last year. Starter this year.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

CR and York are not zoned. CR is ONLY county owned school so nobody can stop kids from going to CR. York is state owned. And ONLY in last few years have kids went to CR over York and yet CR won plenty of Gold anyway and now kids in the county want to go to CR cause that's where the state championships have been won.

CR and York are not zoned. CR is ONLY county owned school so nobody can stop kids from going to CR. York is state owned. And ONLY in last few years have kids went to CR over York and yet CR won plenty of Gold anyway and now kids in the county want to go to CR cause that's where the state championships have been won.

I seriously doubt JC has any there from York.. Driving from Jamestown to Gainsboro every morning would be quite a haul. I mean, there's an entire county between the two.

Wasnt talking about Jackson co having a transfer from York.I read that Clarkrange got a couple from York and that Jackson co has a tranfer from somewhere.I said I think I read that.So I should have typed it out better.Just said that I think I read Jackson co got one.Meaning a transfer.Not from York.

The TSSAA is an athletic association, so they can't make kids go to school where they are zoned.

They may not can but can keep them from playing sports for at least a year if they'd step up to the plate..A lot of schools in West Tenn are too far away from going to other schools.Lake Co is about 30 minutes from any other schools.Let a couple of Obion Central  or Dyersburg players go to Lake Co in years past and would have made a big difference.We play with girls from Lake Co.Not from neighboring schools

Yes it is.Most schools here play the kids that are in their zone.Been reading about Clarkrange getting some players from York and I think i read JC has one.Not illegal as they can go to a school of choice their freshman years.Just wish the TSSAA would make kids go to the school they are zoned.I know a lot of schools have open enrollment and a lot of Memphis,Nashville schools may have schools within 3 or 4 miles of each other.Just make them go to the school they are zoned.

For starters there is no zones for clarkrange and York, they are both in Fentress county about 15 miles apart. We have 4 feeder schools in the county, As for Clarkrange getting 2 from York, well it was 2 in coming freshmen that chose to go play ball for a winning program year after year verses going to a school without a winning program, hard to get scholarships when in that environment..

Edited by BigFan1966

There have been kids go from the north end of the county since lare 90's. I understand the kids wanting to play for a winning program would be a lot more fun I'm sure. Get ready there is another good group of 7 the and 8 the graders in the local system and they are heading south for high school.

For starters there is no zones for clarkrange and York, they are both in Fentress county about 15 miles apart. We have 4 feeder schools in the county, As for Clarkrange getting 2 from York, well it was 2 in coming freshmen that chose to go play ball for a winning program year after year verses going to a school without a winning program, hard to get scholarships when in that environment..

Which school do these ladies live closest to, and what school's summer program did they play for?

I disagree that it's hard to get a scholarship if you play for a program with a losing record.  College's recognize talent....sometimes even moreso if the player carries the team.

Again, I find it sad that parents are apparently ONLY looking at athletics and not considering academics.....when academics should be paramount in their decision.  I'm not indicating that Clarkrange isn't good academically, but it's well know that York excels in academic achievement.

I'm pretty sure all schools are zoned in someway or another but I could be wrong. Bigster, there are such rules that are in place. If you attend a high school one year and then transfer to another without changing your physical address then you have to sit out atleast one year, but if you change your physical address and move to that school area then you do not have to sit out a year. Even if you transfer from a public school to a private school to be eligible your first year at the private school then you have to live within a 25 or 30 mile radius of that school. RBS and Macon Co high schools are about the same distance apart as Clarkrange and York, and even in our situation if you move from Macon to RBS you still have to change your physical address. However, here's the kicker if you attend a RBS jr high then you can move to Macon high school the next year without changing your physical address and be eligible to play sports immediately. So in coming freshmen can attend any high school they want and be eligible without having to sit a year.

Which school do these ladies live closest to, and what school's summer program did they play for?

I disagree that it's hard to get a scholarship if you play for a program with a losing record.  College's recognize talent....sometimes even moreso if the player carries the team.

Again, I find it sad that parents are apparently ONLY looking at athletics and not considering academics.....when academics should be paramount in their decision.  I'm not indicating that Clarkrange isn't good academically, but it's well know that York excels in academic achievement.

I agree and disagree some. If you have a super smart student, they will get a scholarship at any school, but if the student is marginal, York has a better track record for academic scholarships. If you have a Miss Basketball finalist type talent, you will go to college anywhere, but if you're marginal, better programs help you get noticed.

I can only think of a handful of girls from York to get full rides in basketball, CR has had over 40 maybe 50 scholarships since Coach Rogers has led the team. Parents know that and full ride scholarships help parents.

In a way getting a full ride b-ball scholarship is thinking of the kids academic future...

If you take Jaycee Coe, she is a great talent and would be going to college no matter what school she went to, but I have to think her playing and shining at a premier program helped her get to a SEC school in some fashion.