UHS vs CPA

JohnnyRay

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think this CPA team could compete with some college teams.  They are out of their league in the world of AA HS sports.  They enjoy putting on the show with their alley-oops and tricks etc., and creaming the teams they play.  CPA's AD said so himself in a recent Tennessean article:

"We've enjoyed competing in Division I and would like to continue to do so for as long as we're permitted," said Christ Presbyterian Academy athletics director Mike Ellson.

I'm not even sure where he sees what they are doing as competition.  Don't get where the enjoyment comes in either, as I personally find closer matched teams/games far more interesting to watch.

I'm sure Elison and CPA have enjoyed competing in Div I and would like to continue.  If they get put in Div II they would probably have to play with the likes of Ensworth, BA, MBA for ALL SPORTS.  Not sure on their enrollment, but if not then they play in the small division that NO ONE even knows about who is in it.

CPA needs to just go independent in boys basketball. Findlay Prep, Oak Hill, Prime Prep, Montverde Academy etc. are all basketball juggernauts just like CPA is and they dont play in a high school association either. That way CPA can just play a national schedule against teams just as good as team. Beating up on AA teams that dont have the athletes to run with you for 4 quarters is just not good basketball, period.

CPA needs to just go independent in boys basketball. Findlay Prep, Oak Hill, Prime Prep, Montverde Academy etc. are all basketball juggernauts just like CPA is and they dont play in a high school association either. That way CPA can just play a national schedule against teams just as good as team. Beating up on AA teams that dont have the athletes to run with you for 4 quarters is just not good basketball, period.

I think that is best idea that has ever been suggested.

CPA doesn't have to play those teams, but just giving a general idea of the route they should go. AA is being mocked by how big a gap it is between CPA and the next best AA team, its an embarrassment to Tennessee high school basketball. A AAU high school team beating up on AA teams that have 1/10th of the athletes they do. South Side and Manassas are talented too, but sadly they are both playing for bascially second place.

I think that is best idea that has ever been suggested.

TSSAA will not allow a basketball team to go independent. Football drives it all as far as what level you play at. The players are going to continue to go where they want too. Public, private, magnet, open zone/enrollment, whatever. I can understand why nobody would want to play CPA in any division in basketball. Not so sure about all the other sports.       

They were supposed to play several of those teams this year, but when Lindsey left, Maddux pulled them out of some of those tournaments as fast as he could.

http://www.coacht.com/boards/index.php/topic/231539-cpas-jalen-lindsey-leaving-cpa/page-2?hl=%20findlay

Those schools aren't really schools though, some are just basketball clubs and some have been kicked out of state HS associations for recruiting. 

Plus, like the AD from CPA said, they are enjoying "competing" in D1-AA.

They were supposed to play several of those teams this year, but when Lindsey left, Maddux pulled them out of some of those tournaments as fast as he could.

http://www.coacht.com/boards/index.php/topic/231539-cpas-jalen-lindsey-leaving-cpa/page-2?hl=%20findlay

Those schools aren't really schools though, some are just basketball clubs and some have been kicked out of state HS associations for recruiting. 

Plus, like the AD from CPA said, they are enjoying "competing" in D1-AA.

Several years ago when my son was younger, I found myself in a similar situation as you.  Only mine was what most call "Daddy Ball".  My son played on travel Summer baseball teams that were coached by the fathers of some of the players.  You can probably guess what that turned out to be like.

One day I was talking to a friend who had an older kid playing in another age division and he said something to me that changed the way I look at all this and eventually changed my life.  He said, "If you're not happy, then help your son get better so that the coaches have no choice but to play him more."  He was right and that's what I did.

I helped my son year 'round working at home on his motor skills development and more importantly his skills development.  We got the right answers from the right people (I got help from Vanderbilt Sports Medicine doctors and trainers, I sought out experts here and across the country and learned from them) and I worked with him at home, almost every day for 1 hour for years.  He loved it because he could see the change in the way he played and progressed and I got be with him and be a part of it.  This has been the most rewarding period of my life and I'll always have that as mine.

Now all this time later, and I mean to be humble, it has paid dividends far beyond what I could have imagined.  I don't worry if some stud will transfer in from out of state.  I don't worry about college exposure.  I don't worry about the coach recruiting our from under my son.  That was all taken care of when he was 10, 11, 12, 14 years old.  He's prepared for what comes his way...good and bad. 

I guess what I'm saying is if Dads stayed home and took more interest with their sons and daughters and helped guide them in the right direction and devlop mentally and physically, they wouldn't have to worry about coaches or AAU players.  It would take care of itself.