TSSAA to Vote on Public/Private School Split

bobcatfan300

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't even think a split would do anything to girls bball. You will still have your Clarkranges, Jackson Co, Union City, Livingston Academy, McMinn Central, etc going to the glass house every year. No issues with private schools in this sport. :popcorneater:

I have no idea about the others but to throw McMinn Central into the mix is a joke. First, there is no zoning in McMinn County. If I was a parent and I felt like the best chance for my daughter to be successful was at MC, that's where she would go. Any parent who says any different is not telling the truth! Secondly, I believe there were 2 girls on Centrals roster that were not from McMinn County this year. One came aboard as a junior and never played high school basketball her freshman or sophomore year. The other ones drive is fairly close to the same to either school. Maybe her parents thought that the best place to go for her well being was MC, just any other parent would do. The feeder system is what keeps these girls together. They play together for years before high school. Don't blame the school!

I have no idea about the others but to throw McMinn Central into the mix is a joke. First, there is no zoning in McMinn County. If I was a parent and I felt like the best chance for my daughter to be successful was at MC, that's where she would go. Any parent who says any different is not telling the truth! Secondly, I believe there were 2 girls on Centrals roster that were not from McMinn County this year. One came aboard as a junior and never played high school basketball her freshman or sophomore year. The other ones drive is fairly close to the same to either school. Maybe her parents thought that the best place to go for her well being was MC, just any other parent would do. The feeder system is what keeps these girls together. They play together for years before high school. Don't blame the school!

Well they aren't a private school so where do they belong?

RIDICULOUS to include any public school. The publics HAVE to take every kid they don't have the luxury of CHERRY PICKING. Ever wonder why privates are continuously competitive in almost every sport. Well when you have 400 kids and 400 athletes. That explains it. Legal recruitment is crazy. They say they don't but how can you explain the athlete population there. Then allow them to play in a public league CMON MAN!!!!!! If TSSAA don't change its stand its just a slap in the face to all public schools. IMO go play D2

Well they aren't a private school so where do they belong?

That's a good question..my friend. Some open zone schools have a distinct advantage too. A small public school in a larger town or city has that advantage...maybe just as much as a private school even if they charge a fee to attend. I am for a split...always have been. I think it should go further. Make all public schools closed zoned. Don't allow out of zone kids to attend at all.

That's a good question..my friend. Some open zone schools have a distinct advantage too. A small public school in a larger town or city has that advantage...maybe just as much as a private school even if they charge a fee to attend. I am for a split...always have been. I think it should go further. Make all public schools closed zoned. Don't allow out of zone kids to attend at all.

That will be the next task. Privates will be in D2. It will be fun just to watch how it plays out once we are gone.  :popcorneater:

That will be the next task. Privates will be in D2. It will be fun just to watch how it plays out once we are gone.  :popcorneater:

and then the next will be Charter schools.  They are public and open to anyone to enroll and just like any public or private, "Tennessee charter schools are not allowed to recruit students based on ability or performance,..." except from TN Charter Website

Can't happen. Any school on the state list of non performing schools must allow the transfer and provide transportation to any school within the system meeting guidelines to any student wishing to attend. Students have the right to the best education available to them by law. TSSAA regulations do still apply to these students...transfer and sit, but they can't be denied the right to attend to the point of overcrowding.

Can't happen. Any school on the state list of non performing schools must allow the transfer and provide transportation to any school within the system meeting guidelines to any student wishing to attend. Students have the right to the best education available to them by law. TSSAA regulations do still apply to these students...transfer and sit, but they can't be denied the right to attend to the point of overcrowding.

I agree. It would have to be if you are attending an out of zone school...you are not eligible for athletics.