Where do we go now Tri-County?

screenandroll

Most teams in the tri-county have already begin to think about the next season.  Where do they go from here?  What does each team need to do to be better?  Would like to hear what you think each team needs to do for next year to have a chance to win the conference or make it down the road.  Elizabethton seems talent wise to make another run, Other teams will be hurt by graduation.  Coaching changes?  What will Hampton do?  A lot of questions for the up coming spring and summer months.  What would you do?

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I will give it a shot.  Please correct any names I did not know or spelled incorrectly and player graduations I omitted or got too early.

1. Elizabethton-  The Lady Cyclones brought home a gold ball to Carter County and will be in the mix to bring home another one next year.  They return 9 of their top 10 players next season.  Replacing graduating point guard and floor leader Sarah Bradley will not be easy, but Melenda Perry and Haley Burleson have experience and are ready to step in to the role.  Twins Kayla and Kelci Marosites will be back on the wings and in the discussion for AA Miss Basketball.  Sarah Robinson and Megan Pietrowski return to give the Cyclones two outstanding post players.  Emily Kiser will be back providing instant offense from anywhere, Emily Schubert provides great shot blocking and post defense, and Kyra McCrary will be hustling and diving all over the court.  This team is loaded with talent, height, length, quickness, and is well coached by Len Dugger and his staff.  If they stay hungry, the sky is the limit.

2. Hampton-  Hampton is a mystery.  There are rumors that at least one player is considering a transfer.  I believe Paige Montgomery and Monica Olvera will graduate.  Coach Leon Tolley was suspended at mid-season and his status for next season is unclear.  Coach Buddy Hazelwood filled in admirably.  There is some talent returning (Alexis Bowers, Alexus Grubb, Kim Swearingen),  and the Lady Dogs could be in the District 1-A title mix if everyone stays put and the coaching situation stabilizes.

3. Cloudland-  I believe the Lady Landers graduate seven seniors including stars Courtney Clark and Courtney Wilson.  I believe Kendall Mull, Faith Russell, and M. Wilson return for Coach Matt Birchfield.  It may be a bit of a rebuilding year in Roan Mountain, but they may have enough to contend for a District 1-A title.

4. Happy Valley-  I believe Coach Larry Abel's Lady Warriors will lose Mackenzie Blankenship, Kaitlyn Kinser, and maybe Annie Woods to graduation.  Kaley Johnson will return to anchor the team in the post.  I think Jenna Eaton returns at the point.  Whittaker, Clark, and Reece are ready to make larger varsity contributions.  Finishing in the top three in District 1-AA is a good goal.

5. Unicoi County-  Coach Kerri King's Lady Devils should be much better next year.  Destinie Hayes is a great rebounder and will anchor the post.  I believe Hannah Rice and Webb will be back at guard.  Both can shoot the three and score.  Chelsey Harness brings a solid all around game to the wing and post.  Developing some depth is a priority.  I think finishing in the top three in District 1-AA is an obtainable goal.

6. Johnson County-  The Lady Longhorns had high hopes coming in to this past season, but most of the starters left the team and it was a long year in Mountain City.  Brooke Brown finished up her outstanding career and will graduate.  Coach Todd Whittemore has a few players returning, but it will be a rebuilding project next season for the Lady Horns.  Finishing in the top four in District 1-AA will be a longshot.

7. Unaka-  Coach Wes Wright's Lady Rangers had a tough season on Stoney Creek.  Leading scorer Brandi Ensor will graduate.  I did not see the Lady Rangers much last season, so I am not real familiar with what they return.  Finishing 4th in District 1-A and making the Region 1 tournament will be a tough row to hoe.

Edited by coachh17

I will give it a shot.  Please correct any names I did not know or spelled incorrectly and player graduations I omitted or got too early.

1. Elizabethton-  The Lady Cyclones brought home a gold ball to Carter County and will be in the mix to bring home another one next year.  They return 9 of their top 10 players next season.  Replacing graduating point guard and floor leader Sarah Bradley will not be easy, but Melenda Perry and Haley Burleson have experience and are ready to step in to the role.  Twins Kayla and Kelci Marosites will be back on the wings and in the discussion for AA Miss Basketball.  Sarah Robinson and Megan Pietrowski return to give the Cyclones two outstanding post players.  Emily Kiser will be back providing instant offense from anywhere, Emily Schubert provides great shot blocking and post defense, and Kyra McCrary will be hustling and diving all over the court.  This team is loaded with talent, height, length, quickness, and is well coached by Len Dugger and his staff.  If they stay hungry, the sky is the limit.

2. Hampton-  Hampton is a mystery.  There are rumors that at least one player is considering a transfer.  I believe Paige Montgomery and Monica Olvera will graduate.  Coach Leon Tolley was suspended at mid-season and his status for next season is unclear.  Coach Buddy Hazelwood filled in admirably.  There is some talent returning (Alexis Bowers, Alexus Grubb, Kim Swearingen),  and the Lady Dogs could be in the District 1-A title mix if everyone stays put and the coaching situation stabilizes.

3. Cloudland-  I believe the Lady Landers graduate seven seniors including stars Courtney Clark and Courtney Wilson.  I believe Kendall Mull, Faith Russell, and M. Wilson return for Coach Matt Birchfield.  It may be a bit of a rebuilding year in Roan Mountain, but they may have enough to contend for a District 1-A title.

4. Happy Valley-  I believe Coach Larry Abel's Lady Warriors will lose Mackenzie Blankenship, Kaitlyn Kinser, and maybe Annie Woods to graduation.  Kaley Johnson will return to anchor the team in the post.  I think Jenna Eaton returns at the point.  Whittaker, Clark, and Reece are ready to make larger varsity contributions.  Finishing in the top three in District 1-AA is a good goal.

5. Unicoi County-  Coach Kerri King's Lady Devils should be much better next year.  Destinie Hayes is a great rebounder and will anchor the post.  I believe Hannah Rice and Webb will be back at guard.  Both can shoot the three and score.  Chelsey Harness brings a solid all around game to the wing and post.  Developing some depth is a priority.  I think finishing in the top three in District 1-AA is an obtainable goal.

6. Johnson County-  The Lady Longhorns had high hopes coming in to this past season, but most of the starters left the team and it was a long year in Mountain City.  Brooke Brown finished up her outstanding career and will graduate.  Coach Todd Whittemore has a few players returning, but it will be a rebuilding project next season for the Lady Horns.  Finishing in the top four in District 1-AA will be a longshot.

7. Unaka-  Coach Wes Wright's Lady Rangers had a tough season on Stoney Creek.  Leading scorer Brandi Ensor will graduate.  I did not see the Lady Rangers much last season, so I am not real familiar with what they return.  Finishing 4th in District 1-A and making the Region 1 tournament will be a tough row to hoe.

Its been rumored that Matt Birchfield may step down, He.s a heck of a coach but if Kennith Chambers gets the nod,The Landers would still be in very good hands. Could just be a rumor anyway.

Most teams in the tri-county have already begin to think about the next season.  Where do they go from here?  What does each team need to do to be better?  Would like to hear what you think each team needs to do for next year to have a chance to win the conference or make it down the road.  Elizabethton seems talent wise to make another run, Other teams will be hurt by graduation.  Coaching changes?  What will Hampton do?  A lot of questions for the up coming spring and summer months.  What would you do?

How could anyone blame a girl for transfering don't have a coach. Doesn't seem like administration cares if they do anything to get better.Why can't we get our girls in the gym during school shooting and individual drills it is just not fair that other programs in the school are taken care of and success guaranteed and we are an afterthought. Everybody knows that the boys shoot every period of the day. Nothing wrong with that. Just allow the girls the same advantages.

I think matt will step down to coach his daughter in jr high,this is just what ive been hearing.chambers is more than capable of taking over this program.it should be a rebuilding year,losing that many seniors,but they have some pretty talented underclassmen coming up and then the jr high should bring even more help the following year.

I think matt will step down to coach his daughter in jr high,this is just what ive been hearing.chambers is more than capable of taking over this program.it should be a rebuilding year,losing that many seniors,but they have some pretty talented underclassmen coming up and then the jr high should bring even more help the following year.

Now I'm hearing Chambers to Unaka.