Nhsca National Updates

tnlonghorn

I lost track of everyone today. I'll update what I know for sure. Boykin and Evans are in the finals of the freshman division. Knox Fuller is 4-1 and will place, Toribio is 4-1 and will place, Solomon and Sutherland finished 4-2 and 5-2 but needed a couple of more wins . Raulston was 2-2, McElhaney was 2-2, Tj hicks was 3-2. Reiniche was 2-2, LaCoe was 1-2, Stevison was 1-2. I think Sean Kennedy is placing . Hutchins from Pigeon Forge was still alive and wrestling tough . Im not sure about the other Nashville people . I was impressed with all of the Tennessee wrestlers efforts. It was cool watching all the wrestlers come together and support each other.

Edited by YOUTHCOACH16

Not a strong performance by Tennessee wrestlers in the Senior Division.  The last few years Tennessee did much better with a finalist two years ago and a champion last year.  From a quick glance it seems as if the numbers are down in the Senior Division.  At one time NHSCA was the top post season tournament in the country.  Are wrestlers starting to attend other tournaments like Flo Nationals in PA or USA Nationals in Iowa? 

Not a strong performance by Tennessee wrestlers in the Senior Division. The last few years Tennessee did much better with a finalist two years ago and a champion last year. From a quick glance it seems as if the numbers are down in the Senior Division. At one time NHSCA was the top post season tournament in the country. Are wrestlers starting to attend other tournaments like Flo Nationals in PA or USA Nationals in Iowa?

Hands down Flo is the toughest of the three, the format of the tourney attracts more college scouts which, in turn, brings in more kids. College style tourney, out of bounds rules, riding time, etc all college style. Once Flo started their tourney the numbers dropped in the others.

I don't, however, like the way the bracketing is. You have to place in a qualifying bracket at the tournament to even actually qualify for the main bracket (unless you win a "FloMajor" a la Super32, PrepNationals, Ironman, Powerade, etc).

Edited by WrestlingGod

The tournament was pretty tough this year. The past few years flo and Iowa were on the same weekends so this year the quality was much tougher. This was the largest tournament they have ever had. There were 600 more entries this year over last year. I'm not sure how that breaks down per division though. We only had a few seniors entered from what I saw . Stevison had a brutal draw and none of the other top seniors wrestled.

and none of the other top seniors wrestled.

That's the reason TN, as a state, can't grow into a nationally recognized state. Because instead of going to these big, offseason tourneys our best wrestlers sit at home. It's while you'll see state qualifiers from PA, OH, and IL get d1 scholarships and our state champs get passed up. Cause they'll travel and compete and we, for the most part, don't.

Edited by WrestlingGod