Class 5A Top Ten for 2014 Season

Since the 6A classification, I think this class has been the most competitive.  You have South Pitt as the usual favorite in 1A, Trousdale County in 2A, Alcoa in 3A, Fulton in 4A, and Maryville in 6A.  I'm not sure there's any one team you can point at in 5A and say year in and year out, they'll be the favorite.  Henry County and Columbia have probably been the most successful since the split into 6 classes.

Eh. I agree on 3A and 6A, Alcoa and Maryville have been the favorites pretty much every year (although CAK had those two outstanding teams that thinned the dominance in 3A), but the rest of the classes have actually been fairly balanced between a few top level teams, similar to 5A. Since the restructuring, Union City has been right up there with South Pitt in terms of titles. Wayne County got one as well. Trousdale, FCS, and Signal Mtn all claim titles in that span in 2A. And 4A has been a teatherball match between Greeneville, Fulton, and Giles County so far.

I think 5A is viewed differently because outside of Gallatin, Oak Ridge, and maybe Lincoln County (none of whom have won a title since the early 90's, and the latter two just moved to 5A within the last year or two), there really aren't any "traditional" powerhouses in this classification. The 3 schools that have dominated it so far (Henry County, Beech, and Columbia) don't have the histories of schools like South Pitt, Trousdale, Alcoa, and Maryville. Outside of that, 5A really hasn't been much different than the other classifications.

Eh. I agree on 3A and 6A, Alcoa and Maryville have been the favorites pretty much every year (although CAK had those two outstanding teams that thinned the dominance in 3A), but the rest of the classes have actually been fairly balanced between a few top level teams, similar to 5A. Since the restructuring, Union City has been right up there with South Pitt in terms of titles. Wayne County got one as well. Trousdale, FCS, and Signal Mtn all claim titles in that span in 2A. And 4A has been a teatherball match between Greeneville, Fulton, and Giles County so far.

I think 5A is viewed differently because outside of Gallatin, Oak Ridge, and maybe Lincoln County (none of whom have won a title since the early 90's, and the latter two just moved to 5A within the last year or two), there really aren't any "traditional" powerhouses in this classification. The 3 schools that have dominated it so far (Henry County, Beech, and Columbia) don't have the histories of schools like South Pitt, Trousdale, Alcoa, and Maryville. Outside of that, 5A really hasn't been much different than the other classifications.

I understand what your saying and sure, you only have to look at the State titles over the past 15 years to see 3A Alcoa and 6A Maryville are by far the dominating programs. What I was basically saying is South Pitt is almost always mentioned as a "Title Contender in 1A". Yes Union City has two titles and are my favorite to repeat, but going into last season, how many outside of Union City picked them to win it? Even gave a mention? Trousdale County, same thing. They are always mentioned in preseason as a title contender. 4A and 5A are the two classes lacking any one team that each year the majority of folks will pick the same team as a likely winner.

Edited by FreeAgent11

5A HAS A LOT OF GOOD TEAMS...SOMETIMES IN THE SAME DISTRICT.....5AAA HAD 3 TEAMS IN THE TOP 10 STATE POLL MOST OF THE SEASON AND WE HAVE TO ELIMINATE ONE ANOTHER AND ARE BEAT UP BY THE TIME WE GET OUT THE BRACKET...LIKE 7AAA...NO BEE LINE LIKE SOME TEAMS.....IF YOU BEAT EVERYONE IN YOUR DISTRICT BY 25....ARE YOU THAT GOOD ...OR ARE THE TEAMS IN YOUR DISTRICT THAT BAD??? KINDA UNFAIR...BUT I DIGRESS.....5A AND 6A TEAMS KEEP MOVING UP AND DOWN DUE TO ENROLLMENT...NOT A LEVEL PLAYING FIELD IMO....

5A HAS A LOT OF GOOD TEAMS...SOMETIMES IN THE SAME DISTRICT.....5AAA HAD 3 TEAMS IN THE TOP 10 STATE POLL MOST OF THE SEASON AND WE HAVE TO ELIMINATE ONE ANOTHER AND ARE BEAT UP BY THE TIME WE GET OUT THE BRACKET...LIKE 7AAA...NO BEE LINE LIKE SOME TEAMS.....IF YOU BEAT EVERYONE IN YOUR DISTRICT BY 25....ARE YOU THAT GOOD ...OR ARE THE TEAMS IN YOUR DISTRICT THAT BAD??? KINDA UNFAIR...BUT I DIGRESS.....5A AND 6A TEAMS KEEP MOVING UP AND DOWN DUE TO ENROLLMENT...NOT A LEVEL PLAYING FIELD IMO....

You always have to play good teams in the playoffs. Just have to play the cards dealt to ya & just keep winning ! Good luck to all of the 5A teams this year. I wish it started tomorrow.