Coalfield Baseball

FridayMainEvent

Punches thrown by a Coalfield player, after the game, at an umpire.  Apparently a call during the game got both coach's riled up.  Coalfield coaches wanted to talk about it and things got heated.
Something was said and a player came out and threw a punch at the umpire.  Cops were called and the kid was arrested, from what I understand.  They can't play until TSSAA rules on the situation.

What in the world could be said so bad that would make you take a swing at an umpire? I understand bad calls but taking a swing at Blue! As much as umpires have pissed me off over the years I cannot imagine taking a swing at one.  Coalfield may be lucky to play again this year and that young man's high school career should be over, unless the details are so extremely bad as to what an umpire might have said.

This kind of insanity happens more than you would think.  I remember a few years ago a 16 year old that was umpiring some summer rec. ball was killed by a parent over the game. The parent hit the kid with a bat. I can't recall where this happened. TSSAA will hopefully make an example out of this kid and anyone else that may have helped escalate the situation. I hate it for the innocent kids though.

What in the world could be said so bad that would make you take a swing at an umpire? I understand bad calls but taking a swing at Blue! As much as umpires have pissed me off over the years I cannot imagine taking a swing at one.  Coalfield may be lucky to play again this year and that young man's high school career should be over, unless the details are so extremely bad as to what an umpire might have said.

The umpire is also a law enforcement officer (with the TBI I believe). I highly doubt he done something to provoke that kind of response from the kid.

rumor has it the players mom came at umpire outside of dugout and was all up in his face and he told her to shut up son heard that and came at umpire with flying fist from behind his coach ( coach was between ump and player) at least one punch landed player was 18 and a senior kicked off team today and rumors also have it that this isnt his first ejection this year again just a rumor

Wow.  I understand defending mother, but that's extreme.  I had a Mom verbally attack me one time when I was coaching travel softball.  Some of these Moms are OVER THE TOP!  She had no business on the field of play and the school administrator should suffer some consequences for allowing a parent onto the playing field.

Not all is as appears and most of what you are reading above is incorrect. No a player did not go on the field after a heated exchange but yes a player threw a punch at an umpire after the game was over which is very unfortunate. Following the game the umps started to exit the field through the Coalfield dug out and there continued to be discussions over a bad call at home plate. There were several spectators that were voicing their opinions about the quality of umpiring during the game that was called and one of the umps hung around at the gate and very clearly told a parent to shut the **** up which just happened to be the mother of the player that threw the punch. The ump who was also a law enforcement agent also confronted another spectator (brother of player)and began to throw his weight around and tell brother he could take him to jail anywhere, anytime, for anything which provoked said player to defend his parent and sibling.

All of this could have been avoided if the umpire crew had just exited the field as usual and gone on their way but it seemed as if they were hanging around to provoke something. No it's not excusable one bit for any player to go after an umpire and he will pay the consequences but as an umpire and an adult you should not let the power get to your head either. During this entire episode the head coach is trying to get the ump to leave and even stands between the ump and angry crowd.

There are several videos around so look them up for yourself and come to your own conclusion