Coalfield Baseball

FridayMainEvent

At the very least, umpires have to have a safe exit provided by the host school from the playing field.  I don't care how bad anyone thinks they are, this has to be provided to them at a minimum.

If during their exit from the field during this game, they were met by unruly or potentially hostile fans, then the host school is at fault, completely.  I don't care what either of the umpires said or did, they should not be subjected to this kind of behaivor ever.

At the very least, umpires have to have a safe exit provided by the host school from the playing field.  I don't care how bad anyone thinks they are, this has to be provided to them at a minimum.

If during their exit from the field during this game, they were met by unruly or potentially hostile fans, then the host school is at fault, completely.  I don't care what either of the umpires said or did, they should not be subjected to this kind of behaivor ever.

I get your point...watch the video and you'll see clearly the Coalfield coach verbally and physically urging the ump to disengage from the crowd, while the ump was screaming insults and threats, and trying to advance. by the position of the ump relative to the Coalfield players, if he had decided to just leave, there was the opportunity to do so. The school is at fault only for the actions of the player, who was indeed wrong, but if the ump disregards the crowd and exits the field it never happens. To say that you don't care what was said by the ump is ludicris...if he handles the situation with a little class it's just another angry bunch of parents for ten minutes, then over and forgotten.

No, you don't get my point.

The fans, players and umpires, are all emotionally involved in this game. Prior to the game, the host school should have developed a plan that would have allowed the umpires to leave the site with little or no interaction with the others. Emotions got the better of all involved, including one of the umpires. The exit plan would have avoided all of that.

The really unfortunate thing is nothing will be done to improve this type of situation until something bad does happen. We all know people are people. Put a plan in place to avoid these problems.

No, you don't get my point.

The fans, players and umpires, are all emotionally involved in this game. Prior to the game, the host school should have developed a plan that would have allowed the umpires to leave the site with little or no interaction with the others. Emotions got the better of all involved, including one of the umpires. The exit plan would have avoided all of that.

The really unfortunate thing is nothing will be done to improve this type of situation until something bad does happen. We all know people are people. Put a plan in place to avoid these problems.

Yes, I did get the point...and I agree with your amended version. Originally you said that the fault lay completely with the Coalfield team, regardless of the ump's actions or what he said. People are people, and all of us are emotional creatures, but his having a background and training involving interaction with an exited "mob" (law enforcement), and protocol from TSSAA that he should ignore the fans was forgotten...he was as unruly as anyone involved. Maybe his suspension will affect the attitude of some of the officials (not that all are bad, but not all are above having some attitude with fans and coaches), and the suspended season/postseason ban might bring some wrath from administration when coaches fail to control their kids.

the way the umpire acted is inexcusable, and he deserves to be banned from officiating. But what is even more inexcusable is Coalfields failure to provide a safe and clear exit for the umpires. It's the home schools job to make sure that the officials can leave the area of the game safely and without incident. Coalfield failed at this.the umpire was out of line, but if coalfield had done their job, this situation would have never happened.if I were a referee or umpire, I would have serious reservations about going to Coalfield to do a game until at the very least the head coach, or even the athletic director were dismissed and replaced with someone who could actually do their job. I would not feel safe officiating a game there, if the home school was too incompetent to even guarantee my safety. If the school administration cannot control their players, or even their fan base, they MUST be replaced.

Yes, I did get the point...and I agree with your amended version. Originally you said that the fault lay completely with the Coalfield team, regardless of the ump's actions or what he said. People are people, and all of us are emotional creatures, but his having a background and training involving interaction with an exited "mob" (law enforcement), and protocol from TSSAA that he should ignore the fans was forgotten...he was as unruly as anyone involved. Maybe his suspension will affect the attitude of some of the officials (not that all are bad, but not all are above having some attitude with fans and coaches), and the suspended season/postseason ban might bring some wrath from administration when coaches fail to control their kids.

FYI

The umpire in question has not been banned or suspended. He umpired this past Friday.

Not a horse in the race. But CF needs to get a handle on things. A pattern has been established in the athletic program and it's not a good one.

Warning: memcache_connect() [function.memcache-connect]: Can't connect to internal.memcached.coacht.net:11211, Connection refused (111) in /mnt/wwwroot/boards/ips_kernel/classCacheMemcache.php on line 90

the way the umpire acted is inexcusable, and he deserves to be banned from officiating. But what is even more inexcusable is Coalfields failure to provide a safe and clear exit for the umpires. It's the home schools job to make sure that the officials can leave the area of the game safely and without incident. Coalfield failed at this.the umpire was out of line, but if coalfield had done their job, this situation would have never happened.if I were a referee or umpire, I would have serious reservations about going to Coalfield to do a game until at the very least the head coach, or even the athletic director were dismissed and replaced with someone who could actually do their job. I would not feel safe officiating a game there, if the home school was too incompetent to even guarantee my safety. If the school administration cannot control their players, or even their fan base, they MUST be replaced.

I could be mistaken but that loks like Wartburg's field not Coalfield's. I think Wartburg was the home team. The TSSAA requires refs to exit the field from the winning teams side. had the umps done this it may have never happened.

Warning: memcache_connect() [function.memcache-connect]: Can't connect to internal.memcached.coacht.net:11211, Connection refused (111) in /mnt/wwwroot/boards/ips_kernel/classCacheMemcache.php on line 90

I could be mistaken but that loks like Wartburg's field not Coalfield's. I think Wartburg was the home team. The TSSAA requires refs to exit the field from the winning teams side. had the umps done this it may have never happened.

Not true they are to exit the quickest route to their vehicles and in this case that is what they did.

Not true they are to exit the quickest route to their vehicles and in this case that is what they did.

In the video I posted on page 5 of this thread the news anchor says TSSAA rules require umps to leave the field through the winning teams dug out. Maybe they are wrong, Im just passing along what they reported.

Just didn't run fast enough.  :mrgreen: