If I could change one thing...

cocheese

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No district tourney,  top two teams advance.

Alabama does that. No district tournament.  Don't finish first or second in your district your season is over.

2-of-3 bracket...

http://www.ahsaa.com/Portals/0/pdf/sports/2014%206A%20Baseball%20Bracket.html

Georgia takes top 4 and seeds them across the state so one district can (and may this year?) be the final four

Also 2-of-3 bracket...

http://www.ghsa.net/2013-2014-ghsa-class-aaaaaa-state-baseball-tournament-bracket

Adjust the home plate slide rule. In the District tourney Saturday I saw a kid from Alcoa get thrown out for not sliding into home against CAK, when the catcher was 10' up the line! Understand he is now out for 2 games. He really had no other option that I could tell other than just fall down!

There is no slide rule. A player must only attempt to avoid contact. Sounds like either the umpire was sucked into the same false belief of the "must slide rule", like countless others, or there is more to the situation that you included in your post. A fielder cannot occupy the base line without the ball. If the fielder was moving up the line and contact was made with the runner, the umpire may have decided the runner could have avoided the contact and instead purposefully and malicious contacted the fielder.

That may have been the case Cocheese.  He did plant the catcher pretty good! It was a bang- bang play as the catcher caught the ball just a split second before the impact, but 10' up the line. Guess it was actually a bang-bang-bang play, with the 3rd "bang" being the catcher hitting the dirt.  :)

Boy, I was all set for my 'one' thing to be to change the post season format, but.............more kids affected by allowing Fall practice with scrimmages etc.  For all the reasons given.  Football and basketball have terrifically long seasons with additional practice times during the off season.  Fall baseball is just the right thing to do.