Class AAA fans - which districts give out auto berths to Regionals?

MTSN

With Powell ending Knoxville Halls' season last night, despite Halls winning the 3-AAA regular season title, I'm now wanting a list of districts who give out automatic berths to Regionals to its regular season champion.

I know 7-AAA gives out a berth, but it must be won outright. 9-AAA doesn't, 8-AAA doesn't, 3-AAA doesn't. Who else gives out (or doesn't give out) automatic berths to Regionals to its regular season champions? Thanks.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I first started coaching 30 years ago.  The regular season winner got an automatic berth to region, but went as runner up if they didn't win the tournament.  If regular season winner won tournament also, tournament runner up went as 2nd seed.  But that changed years ago in most districts.  But I think the TSSAA doesn't care how you get your 2 teams to play in region, just as long as you have 2 there.  I remember one year we got so much rain during tournament week we had to send regular season champs and runner up because we couldn't finish tournament.  I think teams can vote to change their by laws if they wanted to go back to automatic berth.   What district 10AAA does is let the regular season champion host the district tournament which we changed a few years ago, used to go to different site each year.

11-AAA does not

11-AAA rotates their tourney from school to school. I do not think the regular season champ should get a automatic bid. Seed from regular season and all teams go at it.

And your district has a team that is 16-20 playing in the region tournament?  I would think the state tournament would be about the best teams playing each other.  A lot of "better" teams have been left out because of a bad game after a very successfull, district and non district, season.  Can you say Halls Knoxville?

And your district has a team that is 16-20 playing in the region tournament?  I would think the state tournament would be about the best teams playing each other.  A lot of "better" teams have been left out because of a bad game after a very successfull, district and non district, season.  Can you say Halls Knoxville?

We have a very competitive district and Franklin played a very competitive schedule. Overall record does not show the true strength of a team sometimes. Let's see how the region plays out on Monday and I'll get back to you.

Why have a district tourney if your going to give the #1 seed a region berth....go ahead and give the #2 seed one also and be done with it. Softball is a tourney game and the regular season should prepare you for the district tourney and post season play.

So, everybody should change their rules cause one team had a one bad day...sounds like the district Halls is in should look at their league tourney rules.

........Or even better go ask the TSSAA why 4 programs advance in football and basketball and only two in baseball and softball.

Edited by Hoganknows

7AAA gives automatic berth to the district winner. I do not agree with this. I agree with the other comments made about it should count for seeding in the district tourney but not automatic berth. Other states do not consider the district winner and automatic bid for regions. All schools should have an opportunity play  to go to the regional tournament in the district tourney. if it is so important that the district winner go then leave them out of the district tourney all together because they already have their berth, what is the purpose of them being in the tournament? 

7AAA gives automatic berth to the district winner. I do not agree with this. I agree with the other comments made about it should count for seeding in the district tourney but not automatic berth. Other states do not consider the district winner and automatic bid for regions. All schools should have an opportunity play  to go to the regional tournament in the district tourney. if it is so important that the district winner go then leave them out of the district tourney all together because they already have their berth, what is the purpose of them being in the tournament? 

Amen brother agree totally!!

Hey dude...that 16-20 team is now 17-20, just beat a 20-1 team 3-1 Your theory was just crushed:)