"could see move from 5 classes to 3 or 4 soon..."

JOE01

As I was bored at work I read almost ever article in the Knox. News Sentinal sports page and came across the voting of moving the private schools out of 1A for good. That would be a real good idea given that the private schools have such an advantage but the write up continued to speak of moving the classification from 5 classes to 3 or 4! That would be good as well but is there that many private schools still in the public school system? The paper said something about 30 some...?? But it mentioned teams like Oliver Springs and Alcoa moving back down to 1A.... why did it mention them and not Wartburg or someone else?? IS Wartburg bigger then OS?? I didn't think so. But did they do that to only mention two schools they thought the readers would be interested in? Also would those teams have a choice of moving down? And would they recieve less money from TSSAA if they did? I was just curious and I hope a lot of people reply to this but also if OS and Alcoa moved down those two teams would become the largest rival in this area because they would meat in the Semifinals of 1A playoffs almost every year!! No competition for the two schools and that would stink. I was just wanted to clear it up a little bit I thought it sounded weird that OS would move down because they have grown a considerable amount and are like not close to 100 students over the present limit for 1A schools.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No changes to classifications in DI because they are still overcrowded even with the 18 football schools out. What will happen is you will have several schools move down in each class until you have five balanced classes. The remaining schools in DII will add the new 18 schools in football and they will classify htem all. You will still have 8 state champions crowned each year! No changes will happen until 2005!

[Edited by ELA on 11-7-02 5:39P]

Remember this though, if OS and Alcoa move down, so will Rockwood, Harriman, Sweetwater, and Wartburg. All these schools are about the same size w/ Sweetwater being the biggest at 507 and OS the second biggest at 489. If they do go down to A they'll also be joining the likes of Greenback and Cloudland.

When you say six classes, I think most people think 4 public and 2 private, in all sports. Most people I talk to like that idea. I hope a split playoff results from this vote today, but I also hope the publics and privates stay in the organization. There is a lot of talk of a new organization from both sides of the ailse....

When you look at these classes please keep in mind that some of these enrollments have already changed and a lot more will before 2005.

You would have approx. 266 schools instead of the current 284. That would put 53 schools in each class, based on 5 classes, with 6 or 7 per region. The classes would probably stay at five since there has been a problem with too many schools in some regions more so than too few. But, a lot can happen before 2005.

Posted by coacht:

Here are the classifications using the enrollment figures that schools are currently classified under.

http://www.coacht.com/story.cfm?doc=5376

[Edited by coacht on 11-7-02 6:57P]

I ve been an advocate of the 4 class senerio before we all moved to 5 classes. The TSSAA stated that it would not work out. However if you break the fictious West, Middle and East boundary lines it could have worked. I hope that Tennessee does go to a 4 class system. Whether it is with regions or back the old district way I think it would be better than the watered down playoff and 1000 state championships that we have now. I just hope that it changes because of all this hubbub.

Rutledge probably stays 3A, but even if they don't, I think they are too far away to be grouped with the other 5 teams. I'd say the sixth team would be someone like Meigs County, Bledsoe County, or York. Maybe Tellico Plains.

Posted by OSHSman:

So if they stay w/ 5 classes in 2005, region 2-AA would look like this:

OS

Wartburg

Kingston

Loudon

Sweetwater

Rutledge