cookeville fans?

90warrior

Thanks for calling me classless.  I dont think anything I have said has been classless in anyway. You are all class ol sport.

You continue to dodge my website question.  I still don't believe Roper was a D1 player, but I enjoyed watching him play alot in highschool.  

I'm wondering why YOU felt the need to chime in in the first place.. you call me emotional, saying I need to defend Bray, I think you seem very passionate about trying to discredit him.

Bottom line is he coached at D1 level and has been at CHS for , what, 12 years?  most of those 20 win seasons.  Eh, whatever, I don't care if it isn't good enough for you.

(we would have very interesting discussions if we knew each other in real life) ha B)  

"I never said that any coach said Cookeville was the team to beat."

uhhh....

"Fact: Numerous high school coaches from Cookeville to Johnson City, had Cookeville as the team to beat coming into the 2014-2015 season."

care to explain? 

Again, i'd love to know this website you speak of...  

Roper was not a D1 player... Would have been good at D2.   

Hey, look, more power to the Payne kid if he can get on somewhere D1 and play for 4 years.  That'd be awesome! 

The loss to clarkrange at home last year was without 2 starters. It is an excuse, but hey... Basketball is about matchups.  Clarkrange matched up really well.. were tall and packed in a matchup zone. Made cookeville shoot too many 3's which was a weakness.  

I have no trouble seeing at all , thank you very much.  20/20. How bout you?  Now, what is this website? I'd love to be blown away.

I apologize. I did not elaborate well enough. I can take criticism when I deserve it and in this instance I did not clarify. I meant they were the team to beat in the district and region. They were the team to beat in that pathway to the state tourney. They were not and would not be the team to beat or even one of the top 5 in the tourney but they would and should have been the team in that district and region.  

You know Alumn, I think we may be getting somewhere! I came into the forum to simply read and actually get a good laugh. The reason I felt the need to "bash" if you will was because you were making light of and teasing someones input. You actually said that some comments were laughable, I believe was your wording, but I could very well be wrong. You did say they were a great fiction writer and had no idea what was going on. Someone was just making comments that in all honesty, was not too far off from what I know as accurate, and you were poking fun at that. When in actuality it wasn't too far off. So I was more so defending that other person than I was bashing Bray.  As far as coaches making offers to the player, you are correct. But if local colleges can seek input from a high school coach that coached at the college level, they typically will. If you remember, I clearly said that Bray was not a bad man. I just felt he has lost his desire and love for coaching. As far as Roper goes, again, my wording. He was and still remains a division 1 talent. He also should be playing somewhere right now. So skilled and smart with the basketball. UTC had serious interest. But he also would probably been better served at the division 2 level, however, talent alone he was a low-major division 1 talent. Bates, again, in perfect spot. Possibly highest basketball knowledge kid Bray may have had at Cookeville. The Payne kid was an anomaly. I do not care to name drop here but a coach at Tech said he and the Henderson kid from White Co were the best two basketball "talents" to come from the area since Jolly. I can see why you think that about the Payne kid though, but he just has to get it all together if you will. From a complete and total  perspective of talent and potential alone, he is the highest level kid Bray has had, with Roper a very close second. And that is what college coaches look for. UTC, Tech, Austin Peay, and UT Martin all have head coaches that have shared this sentiment about both Roper and Payne. Oh, and speaking of the Payne kid, both Bray and the former assistant said he should play at the division 1 level they just weren't sure if he could bring it together mentally. Ledbetter has size. You cannot coach that. Not many kids walking through the door with that size anymore. I have heard negatives of him from college coaches that made contact, but again, that is where the high school coach has to pick up and run with things to make them see the importance of getting a free education. Ledbetter should be playing right now at a division 2 or 3 school. Or naia for that matter. And as far other teams in the Chatt area. The major players have lost everyone. Anything can happen in the tournament but things had clearly set up for Cookeville and their team to make a run. They were considered the team to beat in that district/region. But you have to admit, under any circumstances, losing a player like Payne in his senior year, two brothers to an in county school,a key backup, and an assistant all at once is a little suspicious. I do not care how the reasoning or excuses sound for why the kids left. People that are doing things against the rule book or that have turmoil within all have things that sound like legitimate excuses as well. There is something to this. Especially in a year when these boys had a shot to do something that had never been done at the school before. For so many to walk away? The Schrums situation still baffles me. Not sure what is taking place with them. I have asked around and I cannot make heads or tails of how they are playing right away. Payne to GoodPasture raises eyebrows a little, especially with him breaking into a different level this summer (you probably did not hear about how crazy good his summer season was), and anytime a kid has broken onto the scene, if you will, then lands at that type of school it seems a little questionable. I did research into that one as well and it seems extremely legitimate. The dad lives very close to that school and he went to live with his dad. But still, you get the point. Then an assistant walks away. From what everyone in the district described as his group of boys? I have heard the reasons and ok, they may be valid, but again, perception. Oh, and the old adage, where there is smoke there is fire!

I assure you i meant no harm to anyone, I should have chose my words more carefully... but There is no fire there...   

The payne kid has a dad in nashville and im 100% sure that is legit and nothing wrong there.  

I have no idea how those shrum brothers could be eligible.  I still don't think they will be when it is all said and done.  But lets think about this, the older one jumped ship to cookeville his sophomore year and had to sit a year.  The younger one started his 9th grade year there and did not have to sit.  So now they decide to go back to baxter???  and they are going to be eligible?  I don't see it.  Seems a little flip floppy with that history anyway. 

I'm not sure about the phillips kid's situation. All I know is he is at J County.  

We can continue to agree to disagree on some things on the talent side.  That is what makes sports debates great, yet pointless at the same time.   I'm sure I would love to know who you are and have a drink with you... maybe in another lifetime.  Nothing but well wishes for you, and anyone else associated with this thread.  Especially the young men who have played ball at my alma mater.  

I completely agree with that last post. Those boys are all that matter in the end. I also agree on the "agree to disagree" sport debate standpoint. I kind of had that exact information relayed to me regarding the Payne kid and his leaving. The Schrums are another story entirely. That is awkward at best. I cant see a scenario that plays out in a positive way for them. And for that I am sad. But I have witnessed more bizarre transfers that went for the players. Who knows. So now that this thread has taken a friendly turn, and I agree about the drink by the way, lets have some more fun and debate talent. Give me your top 5, in order, most talented players at Cookeville in the last 5 seasons. This is solely based on talent. Then give me your top 5 "as is" players also.

yea, friendly alot better , ha.

lets see..last 5 years... so thats 2010 to last season.    

Talent Alone: 1. Payne  2. Bates. 3. Hill  4. Roper  5. Ledbetter

As is; (which assumes means including mentality, toughness, heart, ect...)  

1. Hill  2. Bates  3. Roper  4. Ledbetter  5. Payne...  Henderson  and Houston Honorable mention. Loved their toughness on the court. 

And again, I am not trying to bash or discourage anybody and I'm sure your opinion will be different.  Looking forward to it

Okay. Keep in mind I have cover a larger group of kids. Lets see,

Talent: 1.Payne.Fortunately for him and unfortunately for Cville, he seems to have gotten over a mental hump this summer. 2. Roper. Not far behind in potential. 3. Hill. Limited to a certain position in college and just not in a good situation in college. 4. Bates. Coach on the floor as I have stated. Actually a little limited when it comes to physical talent. 5. Ledbetter. College body, just Did not have a love of the game like the others.

As is/was: 1a. Hill stats speak for themselves. 1b. Roper. Made it happen, floor GENERAL. 1c. Payne, had trouble with consistency, but Ive kept up with his summer = INSANE. 4. Bates. Just can't say a negative thing about the kid. 5. Henderson. Played way above his level.

My honorable mentions would be Carver on talent. Believe it or not. That kid has all the pieces to be a on ball defensive nightmare. As is honorable mention is Case. Had no business playing as well as he did, if that makes sense.

Hill best shooter. Roper best leader. Bates highest level of basketball awareness. Payne most potential.

I don't think we are way off...  Just little things.  I agree on Case, no idea how he put up the numbers he did.  And Henderson was probably my favorite player... the knack he had for scoring inside at 6 foot tall was crazy. Finished with either hand and hardly ever got blocked.  Also a great rebounder for his size

And, again, not to regress to our previous state but I really want to emphasize, I think Bray is a good man. I think he was a really good coach. But peoples time pass. Its just my opinion based on things I know. I do not want to appear as a coach bashing lunatic. I see it all the time. In my opinion, I think he has lost a love of the game and that has in turn caused some poor decisions. You could say the same about me in my position. It happens to everyone at one point in time or another. I will not be able to follow the district as much this year but I will be intrigued how it plays out. I just cant see the Henderson kid and White Co not running away with the crown. And one thing I guarantee, no one in the state was happier to hear all this news of kids and coaches leaving, than White Countys coach was. I am fairly certain Stone will be down massively,Cville cant be what they would have, and well, who is left?

Agreed on all counts regarding Henderson. Shouldn't have been able to do what he did at all. Threw his body around with kids that were 6 and 7 inches taller. Outrebounded them too. He reminded me of the kid from Stone named Brandon Cole. Henderson was a kid all coaches would love to have. Case either. Very small differences on Roper and Hill.In my position where I deal with college potential, I offer a spot to Roper if I am forced. Bates may be the only one I cant say a negative thing about. Aside from his being physically limited at the college level. With Payne, he is still playing. Has more time to develop. I will give you an actual example. While the others had great seasons , he just finished a summer where hitting the 40 point mark in a game wasn't uncommon. And that isnt agaisnt Warren Co with all due respect. He did so against several nationally top ranked players and teams. I think he was horribly inconsistent but it may have passed, but idk. Would give a lot to see Roper playing anywhere though.