cookeville fans?

90warrior

I would just be in shock and awe to see him hit 40 in a high school game.  Not that he doesn't have the talent to potentially do it.  Like I say, I hope the kid hits it big.  Would be great to see. 

That kind of raises another topic entirely about the AAU/Summer/Travel scene.  I'm not a big fan, but I realize why its become so huge.  Makes it much easier for coaches and scouts to watch players live. But I feel like much of the game is lost like strategy, scouting other teams, matchups,etc.. but I digress, different topic for a different thread. 

I have to agree with alum that roper was not d1. he was at times a good player. Henderson and case killed us more than anybody. oh and alum, college coaches have to contact the kid's high school coaches first most of the time. and yes white co. barring some injuries should be the favorite in the district and the region and top 5 in the state this year. Henderson is 6'7 now and stronger and dunking almost everytime down the floor when he is not shooting three's.

What really makes it impressive, he did it twice in team camp with Good Pasture. Hit 30 once or twice also. The kid had a game in AAU Nationals were he was 8 of 9 from three. Had coaches ranging from Travis Ford to Kermit at MTSU and every level in between ready to offer. Did it consistently for the entire tourney. I actually saw that personally. You sound as though you may have seen him more than I have but when I was evaluating both he and Bates last season and Roper and Ledbetter the previous year, I requested the stat book. Something jumped out at me. That Payne kid has had the highest scoring game each of the last two seasons at C ville as well as the best defensive effort. Was it that he was just inconsistent?

Hello 90warrior. I can definitely see both of your point of view but what on base ing this on our college level coaches that I spoke with. notice I did say that I thought he would be better served at the division 2 level but I do know for a fact there were several division 1 coaches that wanted him. funny you mention the Henderson kid I just saw a website that highlighted a video of both him and the Payne kid from this summer. do you think there is any truth to the rumors about the Henderson kids being difficult to coach?

I agree about him. He has some real potential. I saw a level of liability on defense with him once over the summer. Only real issue that he has immediate need to address. Could handle ball better. I see him at a " bigger" school. I think they are now clear cut favorite to win the region. I thought and have heard from numerous coaches they are only 2 clear cut division 1 talents in district and possibly region. Will be interesting how both play this season. Henderson with no head to head equal and Payne in a entirely new school and district. Class size also.

And, again, not to regress to our previous state but I really want to emphasize, I think Bray is a good man. I think he was a really good coach. But peoples time pass. Its just my opinion based on things I know. I do not want to appear as a coach bashing lunatic. I see it all the time. In my opinion, I think he has lost a love of the game and that has in turn caused some poor decisions. You could say the same about me in my position. It happens to everyone at one point in time or another. I will not be able to follow the district as much this year but I will be intrigued how it plays out. I just cant see the Henderson kid and White Co not running away with the crown. And one thing I guarantee, no one in the state was happier to hear all this news of kids and coaches leaving, than White Countys coach was. I am fairly certain Stone will be down massively,Cville cant be what they would have, and well, who is left?

It is I, THE SQUAD, O Great Fiction Writer. :rolleyes:

Thank you, Stopthepress, for your input into this conversation. You appear to have a lot of knowledge of high school basketball in this area and in general, and I appreciate it.

I don't hate Coach Bray, and I know you don't either. And I'm not a coach so I don't know enough about the x's & o's to say he's a bad coach ON the court.

I'm more concerned about the "program". Where it's been and where it appears to be headed now. And it's upsetting to say the least.

And yeah, I'm sure Eric Mitchell is smiling on the inside these days while preparing for the upcoming season. He couldn't help but be encouraged, even though he's close friends with Coach Bray and probably feels for him over the recent turn of events.