Region 1 back to the present

marshiebaby

So then Newcoach back to the Regional discussion how do you see things lining up? I just dont know much about the teams on your end of the region, but I suspect Jefferson is improving. Score aside last year I saw improvements among them and determined kids with I think a pretty decent coach

well in district 2 obviously Jeff co is kingpin. It will probably end up being Jeff, Mowest,Moeast, cocke co. Had the pleasure of watching west's practice today and they have a very good 45 pounder coming in too. Factor him in and that's another possible state qualifier.

Jefferson is not a team to play around with. A lot of talent. They are loaded top to bottom over there. Could they give the hill a run for that region title this year??

Edited by newcoach215

• 2 weeks later...

Ran into an old Jeff wrestler while eating at Blue Moose in PF (awesome restaurant) this summer, and he had told me that Coach Hollingshead was no longer the coach at Jefferson as of this summer. I do not personally know if this is true, but I hope it isn't, as he was doing great things with that program. They really seemed to be going in the right direction.

Anyone know if this is a true statement?

That is good to hear. In that case, I'm sure that Jefferson will put together another competitive team this year.

Speaking of Jefferson, a little college level update of our Region 1 boys:

I spoke with Tyler Johnson yesterday and he seems very confident about his chances of making the Newberry starting lineup this season. He will be filling a spot that fellow TN wrestler (Maryville) and DII All-American Blake Ridenour had held during Tyler's first two years with the program. Blake has now graduated, so Tyler Johnson is ready to fill his shoes. Newberry is a hard working team with great coaches. Knowing Tyler's work ethic and desire to win I am sure that he has improved tremendously over the last two seasons and I have high expectations for him this season!

Also, I was revisited my old college dorm rooms at King briefly yesterday to check in on Jon Boatman. He is settled in, has an easy first semester, and doesn't weigh much above 130. So 125 should be very doable this season.

Competing with Jon for a starting spot at 125 will be fellow Region One wrestler, Andrew Armstrong. Andrew went to Marion Military Institute in Alabama his freshman year and was a little disappointed in the lack of focus the wrestling team had since it was a club team. He is excited to be part of a DII program and will also have no problem making 125. He looked skinnier than he did his senior season.  

Josh Spangler will also be competing for King University, but will be commuting from home as it is only about 2 miles from his high school. I have not talked to Josh, so I am unaware of his plans as far as weight class, but I wanted to make sure not to leave him out in this update.  

It is great to see this many Region One kids choosing to continue their careers even if they were not able to accomplish their goals in high school. It is a rough road, but it is a great experience that opens many doors. I hope that all are able to make it through four years of the college sport with the lowest retention rate of all college athletics. That alone is a great feat!

Good luck to all our Region One wrestlers at the college level this season!

Region History:

125   3rd

135   4th, 5th

140   6th

189   6th

215   1st, 2nd, 6th

275   2nd, 3rd

112   2nd

135   1st

171   3rd

275   1st

103   5th

112   1st

119   4th

130   2nd, 6th

135   6th

275   3rd

112  6th

125  3rd

130  5th

145  5th

160  3rd

171  1st, 6th

275  1st, 5th

103  5th

112  3rd

119  5th

130  1st

140  6th

145  1st

171  3rd

275  1st, 3rd, 4th

119  6th

130  3rd

152  1st

275  3rd

112  6th

119  4th

125  1st

189  3rd

215  6th

275  3rd

112  3rd

119  4th, 6th

125  1st

130  5th, 6th

135  5th

171  5th

285  3rd, 5th

103  4th

160  5th

171  6th

285  3rd

112  5th

135  2nd

145  3rd

160  1st

125  5th

135  3rd

140  6th

145  1st

152  6th

171  5th

285  5th

119  5th

125  2nd

135  6th

171  3rd

215  3rd

285  6th

119  3rd

125  4th

135  6th

160  3rd

171  4th

This is a list of weight classes that region 1 medaled in at the TSSAA state tournament.

Not the toughest or deepest region in the state but always working and improving. Coaches and wrestlers keep up the hard work and keep getting better.

Edited by drem2achive

• 1 month later...

Greenville, and as usual,,, Science Hill with Mr "cat on the mat" Miller at the helm, with the Ol Price is Right still pushing them boys as well.

I'm actually curious as to what science hills line up looks like after losing Hudgins, Vaughn, and Bagley. I'm sure they will fill the spots easily but who ever steps up has big shoes to fill.

at the preseason Bristol Tourney this weekend I got there after the first round but I saw Lane SR Sci-hill who I think is in the 130's decide to let it go, and that was the best wrestling I have ever seen him do live.  Very good...  I heard he lost his first match, thus givien the choice to wake up - what I saw was that he did...  Also Eric Yother SR Sci-hill is a natural, shame he was a late starter but he is quite good again in the low middle weights, and Cooper Williams looked pretty good also in the low weight range at the Hill...  But your right Newcoach I am still out of the loop and wondering what the line-up top to bottom will look like... There are a few scattered in there that regionally are as close to automatic wins as you ever can be...  But there may be some gaps...