Best High School Program in Metro Nashville

shaner10

Nothing against E. Magnet, but the competition is no where the same to make state duals.  Their competition to go every year was MLK.  While Overton has had to deal with Williamson Co since their last trip in 2008(Losing to Antioch at State Duals).  If there was not a small school, this discussion would not be happening.  But I will say again, Coach Whittaker has done an excellent job with what he has, to do what he has done.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wrestling God, you embarrass yourself with your lack of knowledge. This year will be the 11th straight year for the small schools state duals meet.

Not sure where you get 4 years. East was 3rd in 2007, 2008 and 2009 and runner-up in 2010. All before appparenty you even knew the tournament existed (in the last four years).

10 medalists also. One state champ. (Antonio Boyd). Two runners-up.

If you are going to try to call someone out, at least have correct information.

As I said, we can agree to disagree on the semantics of "placing". They qualified for the state duals 7 of the last 8 years. Did Overton?

Yes time flies. It was sanctioned in 05. However, remember not to throw stones when you're standing in a glass house. You remember the part where you said they've medaled every year for the last 10 years? Here you list only 4. Two very different numbers.

If you threw Overton in the small school they have a better record there than East Lit.

You all make some valid points regarding MNPS programs.  I agree that school administration must buy in to the program and support a program for it to be successful.  I also believe that feeder programs are key to developing competitors.  I know several kids from the Metro area that wrestle in various clubs outside of Davidson Co and have done very well.  I would like to see the sport grow in the Metro area. I believe a club would draw interest from kids in this area and eventually lead to better high school programs in this area.  Unfortunately there aren't any clubs outside of the Nashville Catholics in the Metro area.  Most kids go to Wilson, Williamson, Rutherford Co areas to wrestle.  I wonder what these kids will do as they get older? Will they eventually move or stay in MNPS? Wrestling seems to be growing across the state of TN with the exception of the Metro area, I'm curious as to why we don't see more kids out of this area.  Great feedback from all that posted. 

Successful high school athletic programs have a minimum of 3 things in common:

1.  A very good head coach that knows how to motivate

2.  The full support of the school administration

3.  Great feeder program with a coach that demands proper fundamentals from the athletes

What I see out of MNPS is teachers being hired with zero regard to athletics or any other extracurricular activities.  Everyone knows that it is not easy but you can find people that are good in the classroom & the athletic field.  The fact of the matter is that most very successful coaches are also very good academic educators because it's all about the kids.  I don't see anything changing with MNPS in the near future.  If a great coach falls into their lap they may or may not hire them but they will not make the extra effort to seek out a great coach. 

I have to agree that MNPS have little interest regarding athletics.  It's not just wrestling but athletics in general.  One would think that all sports would be much more competitive with the amount of kids in MNPS. 

Hands down best Metro Wrestling Team consistently is Overton.  Coach Gabriel has been doing this for many years.  After that is a toss up.  McGavock has been good recently, Hunters Lane, Antioch, and Cane Ridge have been competitive.  Looking at Individual State results, it would be Overton, Antioch, McGavock.  True with the feeders.  Look for Hillsboro to get better soon.  With their feeder school having a good coach, and a new coach who truly cares about the sport.  In a couple of years they will be competitive.  One of the biggest problems with Metro is that kids opt for the Football coach's talk and don't come out after middle school.  Most have grandeur dreams of being an NFL or NBA star, but they only stand 5'4" and weigh 120 lbs.  That is what we fight against, a lot of these kids don't like to hurt, and we know wrestling is about pain. 

FYI-Hillsboro's new coach is Chris Murray, former Antioch assistant. 

Are you referring to JT Moore as Hillsboro's feeder school? The coach there did a pretty good job with that program this past year but if programs wait until middle school to start teaching basics then MNPS will constantly struggle.  The good programs start with elementary kids and I feel that's one of the reasons MNPS are so behind.  Granted there are kids here and there that turn out to be competitive but it hasn't been very consistent in the Metro area. 

If you threw Overton in the small school they have a better record there than East Lit.

Well...........if you put any school in the small school classification with an enrollment of twice that of the other schools you should have success. That's the point of classifications. Dumb Comment.

Edited by Hater247

Well...........if you put any school in the small school classification with an enrollment of twice that of the other schools you should have success. That's the point of classifications. Dumb Comment.

Not true, just because the school has more kids doesn't mean they'll have more talent. Let's look at the top 5 public schools in population in TN

Arlington HS

Blackman HS

McGavock HS

White Station HS

Jefferson Co HS

So by your definition, these are the best wrestling schools in the state as they have the highest population in the state of TN. A couple are pretty good teams, but success because of number of kids?? No, success because of talent