gtripledip

BIGGEST MARGINS IN WEEK 0

The Five biggest margin of victory in week zero

Fulton 83, Powell 3

Pigeon Forge 71, Cosby 0

Scott County 63, McCreary County (KY) 0

Chattanooga Christian 62, Chattanooga Grace 0

Melrose 62, MAHS 0

Although these are necessarily class A. These are crazy scores from week zero. What do you think? Is beating someone by 45, 50, 60, 75 or 80 points considered running it up or should a team get all the points it can no matter the opponent? Which is the "right" thing to to. All three of my sons play or played football and other team sports. We have been on both ends of the stick. I personally never like the ideal of what I'll call running the score up. I think that's are ways to prevent it without telling players to hold back and don't score. Substitutes and working on others areas of the game for one. But I'll say this, if you up by 45-50 points in the forth quarter and you starting QB, RB and WR are still in the game, it's called "running up" the score

What do you think?

You are making an assumption that because the score is high the team ran it up all they could.  I remember some years that SP set scoring records and have a couple of the highest scoring on records for 1a school.  They did it on the ground.  When you have a 30 player roster in 1a, you don't have the kids to stop blocking and take a knee. 

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I remember one coach saying about the score being run up on him that "It's my team's job to stop the other team from scoring, it's not the other teams job not to score."  With that said, take out the starters when up by a certain amount.  If the backups can't be stopped then that's too bad.  You can't ask a kid to stop scoring.  And you can't ask a kid to not play as hard as he can, if you do that then he can get hurt. 

As far as the scores mentioned in the OP, without knowing the situation it's hard to say if those scores were due to one team running it up or the other team just being very bad. 

I remember many times watching South Pittsburg "run up" the score with a second or third team tailback running between the tackles.  When you have backups in and they are running it straight up the gut but still scoring, that's not running it up.  That's just bad defense and that's the reason we now have the mercy rule.

One of several good posts in here. 

Doesn't matter if your 1A or 6A, also doesn't matter if it's in the air or on the ground.,never a reason to "run it up" on an opponent with the intent of embarrassing the other team or to pad stats. Biggest blade to example I see now is Fulton. They have won by 80+ in each game. There are post all over coach t and twitter of them bragging about the scoring records they are accomplishing. I predict it will come back and bite them in the butt. Never massage your own pride at someone else's expence. In my opinion. I stand by my statement that a coach can do things to keeping from beating someone by 50-80 points without telling players not to score.

Doesn't matter if your 1A or 6A, also doesn't matter if it's in the air or on the ground.,never a reason to "run it up" on an opponent with the intent of embarrassing the other team or to pad stats. Biggest blade to example I see now is Fulton. They have won by 80+ in each game. There are post all over coach t and twitter of them bragging about the scoring records they are accomplishing. I predict it will come back and bite them in the butt. Never massage your own pride at someone else's expence. In my opinion. I stand by my statement that a coach can do things to keeping from beating someone by 50-80 points without telling players not to score.

When you have a freshman back run between the tackles and score, what are you going to do?   All  some of us are saying it that just because some games have a large score, doesn't mean there was an intention to do so. 

Edited by rlh

When you have a freshman back run between the tackles and score, what are you going to do?   All  some of us are saying it that just because some games have a large score, doesn't mean there was an intention to do so. 

We just had this happen Friday night.  Freshman hit the hole (between the tackles) - other team's starters were still in - no one touched him as he went 60+ yards for a score.  You just can't tell that kid, "run around in circles (like Curly from the Three Stooges) if you get in the open and wait for someone to come tackle you".

My take on it is this. First of all I don't like to see a team run up the score just for the sake of embarrassing the other team. In our first game this year we were up 42-6 on Gibson County at the end of the 1st qtr. After that we subbed. The final score was 63-21. Our Second and third team played the rest of the game. We let the kids play who get smacked around every day by yhe first team. They were excited about the chance to play. The the opposing team can not stop your second and third team what are you supposed to do? I agree that if a kid is told to go half speed then they stand a chance of getting injured. No problem with that whether it is happening to my team, which it has, or if we are on the winning side.