TSSAA rules for travel soccer

coachof3

I may be wrong but, if your middle school is TSSAA sanctioned and play competitively in a game you would be in violation of the rules. The rules may have changed but 4 years ago the same rules applied for middle school that the high school followed. (If u were TSSAA sanctioned middle school).

Edited by AAASOCCER

This is why the big three can play select MS aged soccer while we others can't.  Once a TSSAA player is rostered for a HCDE Middle School, they are not allowed to play select.  Stupid rule that keeps many good MS players from playing for their school.  

Baylor, McCallie and GPS have wisely kept their MS kids out of TSSAA.  There is no benefit for  being TSSAA in Middle School except maybe insurance.  Insurance for middle school soccer players would be about $9 a head.  If some public schools want to head out of TSSAA MS soccer, I'll try to help.  It's stupid that our best players have to make a decision to play select or for their school team.  No offense to MS coaches, but most select coaches have more experience and you're losing your best and brightest players.  

I believe the original question was about the coach and not the players.  The question is wanting to know for example, if a coach of a middle school girls team in the Fall can coach those same girls in the Spring as their select coach.  Did not see anything in the TMSAA constitution or by-laws to prohibit that.  However, might want to check with the State office for sure.  On the other hand, if your school is not a part of TMSAA, then there is no problem.

Hamilton County rules allow "school coach" to coach his players outside of school season, however, he CAN NOT have more than 50% of his school players (or future school players) play on his non-school team.  So for soccer, the school coach is good to coach a select team with his school players as long has he has no more than 5 playing on his select team.

You can find the rules for HC on their website in the Constitution. 

In my opinion the worry about MS kids is a joke, and there should be no restrictions.  The only reason that HC voted in these rules is the "ego" of the middle school coaches who server on the Board.  They are so worried about winning in the 6th, 7th & 8th grade they forget about what is best for the kids.  Let the kids play for good coaches! 

And yes, most school coaches, Middle and High School are not on level with the typical select coach.  Just go watch some of the school games and you see these coaches complaining about calls when they do not even know the rules of the game.  Soccer is the worst since so many people do not know off-sides or what a foul looks like.  Drives me crazy.

• 3 weeks later...

The only issue I have seen with high school coaches also coaching a club in the same town has been the coach pressuring high school players to play on his/her club team. I know this happened with a Kentucky HS. Probably why the 50% rule was put in place.