Why has Oliver Springs fallen so far

gcapride

TTUBOBCAT and OnB.....With the games slated this week, this one seems to be the best one on the boards. This isn't a slam fest, just a forum to talk freely about Oliver Springs football past and present. This might get shut down quickly, but I hope we get a chance to discuss some of the points made on other threads that are off topic

My question is why has the Oliver Springs program fallen so far. They used to be a contender every year for a playoff spot. Now, they have little hope of making the post season in the middle of July.

If memory serves me correctly, the only reason OS made the playoffs a few years ago was because we were in jail (probation).

Let's talk

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

TTUBOBCAT and OnB.....With the games slated this week, this one seems to be the best one on the boards. This isn't a slam fest, just a forum to talk freely about Oliver Springs football past and present. This might get shut down quickly, but I hope we get a chance to discuss some of the points made on other threads that are off topic

My question is why has the Oliver Springs program fallen so far. They used to be a contender every year for a playoff spot. Now, they have little hope of making the post season in the middle of July.

If memory serves me correctly, the only reason OS made the playoffs a few years ago was because we were in jail (probation).

Let's talk

Out of respect for TTUBOBCAT i will comment no further nor give my thoughts on OZ.They have took it too far from where it started.I stated a fact AS OTHERS HAVE,and they blew me up on it.I wish OZ a d their fans the best.They will be the ones to answer your question anyway.Much respect to you pride you have earned it from me thru the yrs.

I used to be an OS fan, but now I only follow it occasionally.  What I hear is pretty simple....it's very young, with a lot of Freshman playing both sides of the ball.  Give it a couple of years, and they should do pretty good because there is a lot of talent in the Freshman class and this year's 8th graders.

I still can't believe how bad the defense is....is it just because the players are young?  I don't know.  I'm curious to hear other's opinions. 

edited to add that I agree, the program is not what it used to be.

Edited by cwp76

I used to be an OS fan, but now I only follow it occasionally.  What I hear is pretty simple....it's very young, with a lot of Freshman playing both sides of the ball.  Give it a couple of years, and they should do pretty good because there is a lot of talent in the Freshman class and this year's 8th graders.

I still can't believe how bad the defense is....is it just because the players are young?  I don't know.  I'm curious to hear other's opinions, but I hope it doesn't turn into bashing the coach.  I've met him, and he seems like a good guy.

I know you have moved on and support OR now. My question is why doesn't OS have any upperclassmen playing? Is it coaching or just a lack of talent in the JR and SR classes?

Out of respect for TTUBOBCAT i will comment no further nor give my thoughts on OZ.They have took it too far from where it started.I stated a fact AS OTHERS HAVE,and they blew me up on it.I wish OZ a d their fans the best.They will be the ones to answer your question anyway.Much respect to you pride you have earned it from me thru the yrs.

That's exactly how I thought you would reply. Class all the way around. You can see it in your son that graduated last year. He was mean, nasty and tough. But, he played with class and respect for even a hated team like us.

I just wanted to open it up for discussion. OS has fallen way off in the past couple of years. As a 2A program in the east, we could use OS, one of the Greene County teams, TP, Meigs, etc. to make the playoffs and keep the Chattanooga teams in Quad 2 (selfish issue).

I know you have moved on and support OR now. My question is why doesn't OS have any upperclassmen playing? Is it coaching or just a lack of talent in the JR and SR classes?

There are at least a few good upper classmen that I have seen....I've gone to a few games when OR is away....maybe just not enough older ones? Then you look at Oakdale who is having a hot streak (or was) off the back of just a few good players, so who knows. 

I'm curious to hear other's opinions also.  Also, I could add that I heard someone say that the defensive scheme is geared more toward college, and really fast players.  So, maybe they need to change that?

edited to say I don't mean to imply Oakdale only has a few good players, but they had some that really stood out.

Edited by cwp76

Being an Oak Ridge guy I'd love to see OZ turn it around and get back to where they used to be. When I was in HS @ OR in the 90's Rocky Lowery was there and then Eric Miller. I played Little League baseball at the OR Boy's Club with both Eric & Todd Miller. Both tremendous players for the Bobcats in the 90's. A friend of mine from High School son is on the OS Middle School team this year and they're 7-0. He always tells their scores on Facebook and the scores of their games haven't even been that close, so it looks like their is talent coming up through the pipeline which is great. Go Bobcats, from your neighbor in The Ridge.