5A State Championship Contenders

SDHSallday

I've noticed one thing with Gillum coached teams and it seems to have become the norm with him. They are either a too pass happy offense or too run happy offense. He has never had any kind of balance to his offenses, and until he finds that they will continue to fall short of ever winning anything significant. Although even if they did have that I still couldn't ever see them winning a title because they just don't have the athletes that other schools like West, OR, SD, and others in this area have. Just my honest unbiased opinion.

I can agree with this on a lot of areas, Last years team had good balance and was in the West game in the quarterfinals until about midway through the 4th, it was a 1 score game and AC had gotten the momentum, we had West on a 3rd and long and missed a tackle in the backfield on the QB and he went 60+ yards for the score that pretty much took AC's chance away, but it was a great game and AC had a good shot at it.  But for the most part you are correct about the one dimensional offenses, but I think that is more of Davey doing what we can best with what we have.  AC is not Oak Ridge when talking talent, but disciplined football and good coaching with good kids usually has us pretty competitive.  I actually have to tip my hat to the coaching staff for the job they have done, AC has never had this long of a playoff streak and to make it to 3 quarterfinals in 5 years is pretty good with 2 of those years both losing in very good games to the state runner up.  I agree completely that until we can get to be more balanced we will never make it to State, but you don't just have to be balanced, you also have to be good at both and I think the coaching staff at AC is doing a good job at doing what they can with what they have, if they had the talent that Oak Ridge has year after year than I think they would be in the state talk every year as well, eventually we will have that group come through to break that barrier, but until then we will just keep fighting along winning the games we can and upsetting some teams along the way.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kerr had more balance to his offenses than Gillum ever has.

That's not correct.  The offense for the two years before this year was balanced.  The very reason Coach Gillum said he changed from a "pass happy" offense is because he realized AC needed to run too in order to win in the playoffs.  For whatever reason, this year AC obviously hasn't felt comfortable passing.  I doubt seriously it's because he now thinks only running it is the way to go.

Edited by MavMaximus

I can agree with this on a lot of areas, Last years team had good balance and was in the West game in the quarterfinals until about midway through the 4th, it was a 1 score game and AC had gotten the momentum, we had West on a 3rd and long and missed a tackle in the backfield on the QB and he went 60+ yards for the score that pretty much took AC's chance away, but it was a great game and AC had a good shot at it.  But for the most part you are correct about the one dimensional offenses, but I think that is more of Davey doing what we can best with what we have.  AC is not Oak Ridge when talking talent, but disciplined football and good coaching with good kids usually has us pretty competitive.  I actually have to tip my hat to the coaching staff for the job they have done, AC has never had this long of a playoff streak and to make it to 3 quarterfinals in 5 years is pretty good with 2 of those years both losing in very good games to the state runner up.  I agree completely that until we can get to be more balanced we will never make it to State, but you don't just have to be balanced, you also have to be good at both and I think the coaching staff at AC is doing a good job at doing what they can with what they have, if they had the talent that Oak Ridge has year after year than I think they would be in the state talk every year as well, eventually we will have that group come through to break that barrier, but until then we will just keep fighting along winning the games we can and upsetting some teams along the way.

I agree.  Don't forget that our QB had a broken throwing hand from the OR game on.

I can agree with this on a lot of areas, Last years team had good balance and was in the West game in the quarterfinals until about midway through the 4th, it was a 1 score game and AC had gotten the momentum, we had West on a 3rd and long and missed a tackle in the backfield on the QB and he went 60+ yards for the score that pretty much took AC's chance away, but it was a great game and AC had a good shot at it. But for the most part you are correct about the one dimensional offenses, but I think that is more of Davey doing what we can best with what we have. AC is not Oak Ridge when talking talent, but disciplined football and good coaching with good kids usually has us pretty competitive. I actually have to tip my hat to the coaching staff for the job they have done, AC has never had this long of a playoff streak and to make it to 3 quarterfinals in 5 years is pretty good with 2 of those years both losing in very good games to the state runner up. I agree completely that until we can get to be more balanced we will never make it to State, but you don't just have to be balanced, you also have to be good at both and I think the coaching staff at AC is doing a good job at doing what they can with what they have, if they had the talent that Oak Ridge has year after year than I think they would be in the state talk every year as well, eventually we will have that group come through to break that barrier, but until then we will just keep fighting along winning the games we can and upsetting some teams along the way.

100% correct M4L that the staff just keeps doing a great job IMO.

AC always has tough competitive teams but like I said they will never have the athletes to beat the teams that do. Maryville can do that because of the staff they have when they play overly athletic teams. They are in the minority. AC staff is good but not good enough to overcome those deficiencies. Just telling it like it is. AC will never win a gold ball albeit a tough team generally.

AC always has tough competitive teams but like I said they will never have the athletes to beat the teams that do. Maryville can do that because of the staff they have when they play overly athletic teams. They are in the minority. AC staff is good but not good enough to overcome those deficiencies. Just telling it like it is. AC will never win a gold ball albeit a tough team generally.

Well we'll just have to prove you wrong Saul/Paul. And what exactly do you mean we don't have the "athletes?"

Space, we know that one is going to be a war.  The Oak Ridge fans are not counting that game as a win.  A lot of other people are speculating that Oak Ridge is a title contender, but right now our only goal is to beat Central Friday, then go get a win at AC and win the district.

OR defense scares me. I agree lets get this week over with.