District 4-A Tournament moved to Neutral Site

ZOA9

Sounds like an angry BullFrog with his hand in the cookie jar too long.... :blush:  Go back a little farther, without knowing the exact number (cause I don't) see how many District Titles have the Bulldogs (BullFrogs) won since Wartburg started hosting the tournament officially?  Make no mistake, they have just as much a right to win as many as they can (just like everyone else)....but remember these games were all played on their own court.  To say there are no advantages in that would be false.  I guess AC should equalize things up from a court perspective.  I not sure your happy, BF?

Kazanity  :thumb:

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No I didn't miss the point at all. and your right it is simple.  The simple answer is not all the schools are big enough to host.  TSSAA rules...like it or not.  Thankfully District will be held at Anderson County and everyone can be happy.

I am well aware of the gym size rule. I guess then wburg is the only gym in the entire district with 1000 permanent seats....right? That gym looks less than that anyway... Always hard to tell.. Anyone actually count them? Point is, wburg should NOT get home court advantage every year. I don't have a dog in the fight, by the way...

Wartburg has won 1 of the last 6 district championships held there. Coalfield, Sunbright, Jellico, and OS have all got the job done at Wartburg against them. The only team to lose to Wartburg for the district title in that time was Oneida and that's where most of the fuss for home cooking comes from.

Edited by TheMan0405

• 2 weeks later...

Since 2007 Wartburg, Jellico, Coalfield, Oliver Springs, and Sunbright have all won the tourney title at Wartburg. Wartburg has won it twice in that time, in 08 (as a 4 seed) and in 12. The Oliver Springs girls team has won it at Wartburg more than Wartburg boys. Wartburg has played in the last 4 district champ. games and they have won 1 of them. How is that home cooking?? We need to quit crying and just admit that Wartburg coach Joe Layne is the best in the district and when it comes to making a run in the tourney he always has his boys ready to go with the system he runs. I completely agree with the tourney being moved and with everyone saying its not fair. Its not fair to Coach Layne, the athletic director, and principals that they are in control of the tourney every night and have to take the time away from their families to do it. What would be the outcome of those district titles that wburg has lost if coach layne wasn't having to deal with the tourney and was like every other coach and just got to get his team ready to play? We will find out this year, if he wins with his team. Should be fun tourney,

Since 2007 Wartburg, Jellico, Coalfield, Oliver Springs, and Sunbright have all won the tourney title at Wartburg. Wartburg has won it twice in that time, in 08 (as a 4 seed) and in 12. The Oliver Springs girls team has won it at Wartburg more than Wartburg boys. Wartburg has played in the last 4 district champ. games and they have won 1 of them. How is that home cooking?? We need to quit crying and just admit that Wartburg coach Joe Layne is the best in the district and when it comes to making a run in the tourney he always has his boys ready to go with the system he runs. I completely agree with the tourney being moved and with everyone saying its not fair. Its not fair to Coach Layne, the athletic director, and principals that they are in control of the tourney every night and have to take the time away from their families to do it. What would be the outcome of those district titles that wburg has lost if coach layne wasn't having to deal with the tourney and was like every other coach and just got to get his team ready to play? We will find out this year, if he wins with his team. Should be fun tourney,

I wouldn't say home cooking, (that implies refs help the home team) but it is always a big advantage to play at home. My issue would be voting not to allow jellico and Oneida to host it. Could be wrong, but I think both gyms meet the 1000 seat rule and yet, they don't get to host....Personally I think the size rule shafts the smaller schools, but I understand why it's there. But that's the TSSAA rule.... The voting block against jellico and Oneida is a crock...IMO

I wouldn't say home cooking, (that implies refs help the home team) but it is always a big advantage to play at home. My issue would be voting not to allow jellico and Oneida to host it. Could be wrong, but I think both gyms meet the 1000 seat rule and yet, they don't get to host....Personally I think the size rule shafts the smaller schools, but I understand why it's there. But that's the TSSAA rule.... The voting block against jellico and Oneida is a crock...IMO

Not going to complain about it being at AC. It's not that far of a drive from coalfield. I would complain if it was at Oneida or Jellico because those drives would be miserable to make 4 out of 5 days if both the boys and girls are playing in the semi finals and championship/consolation.

Not going to complain about it being at AC. It's not that far of a drive from coalfield. I would complain if it was at Oneida or Jellico because those drives would be miserable to make 4 out of 5 days if both the boys and girls are playing in the semi finals and championship/consolation.

I don't like the drive either... But those schools have drive to mc schools(wburg in this case)...it should go both ways. FYI, wburg is much, much closer for me. Just deciding they can't host seems seriously unfair to them.

• 1 month later...

I don't like the drive either... But those schools have drive to mc schools(wburg in this case)...it should go both ways. FYI, wburg is much, much closer for me. Just deciding they can't host seems seriously unfair to them.

I agree also. If Jellico & Oneida have the seating capacity that is required by the TSSAA then they should be put in the rotation to host. There is no justification that anyone could come up on why this should not happen. Travel distance should not be an issue. All other schools have traveled to Wartburg in the past without problems. The administrators in District 4 really need to take a hard look at this situation and come to a logical decision that rotation is fair way to go. A voting block should not be used against Jellico & Oneida because of distance. Kids from Jellico and Oneida and other district 4 teams have climbed on the bus the last four years with the tournament being played at Wartburg and had no trouble getting there on time. I think you may have some people in positions of authority that want to have their cake and eat it too. The TSSAA preaches fairness and sportsmanship and I would like to think that administrators would keep that in mind when making decisions that affect student-athletes.

Edited by ZOA9