Best Grass soccer surface in TN

Booger

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Booger you could be correct because most of the middle TN teams play offense and defense. The fields just get worn out.

when everyone was discussing the field conditions and the fact they drain pathetically over adult beverages this week while we were over there; that was the same conclusion that all came up with also :roflolk:  :roflol:

Edited by Booger

In Middle Tennessee, I'm going to go with Page, FRA, and maybe Franklin.  We're A/AA so I've not seen many of the AAA fields.

But it the CCS field until they destroyed it.  I do know that it's not Siegel.  State finals in May were unacceptable.  Lots of green spray paint on dirt on the so-called "championship" field.

FRA's playing surface is horrible. The artificial surface is like playing on a basketball court with bad plastic grass.

There wasn't a golf course in middle TN that wasn't affected last Spring much less soccer surfaces. In fact, many soccer facilities closed fields.

To suggest planting winter rye is all you had to do is not correct. The fluctuation in temps hurt the rye in a big way and caused fields to either stay dormant or not produce at all.

It was impossible last spring to find a facility to hold the state tourney that wasn't in bad shape.

First off, most golf courses plant bermuda and let it go dormant in the winter, that is why they are brown until the first 80 degree day in the spring. They do not over seed it due to cost compared to who is going to play on it in the winter and then having to spray it in the spring to get the rye out.

Second, of course you have to do more than just plant the rye. Many fields use a subsatnce called potash, which is a fertilizer that works as an insulator during the cold months.  You also let the rye grow slightly higher than bermuda to help it out as well in the spring.

Facts are if you want to play on a green field in the spring, you have to plan for it in the early fall. It doesnt happen overnight. It also helps if you have someone who knows what they are talking about helping you work on the field and not relying on the city or county to take care of it because they don't want to or can't afford to.

If you dont believe what i am saying, which is fine with me, ask a baseball coach how they get green fields in the early spring and they will tell you the same thing and they play in the same weather as boys soccer in the spring.

So are you saying Siegal, Mike Rose, Crockett, Downs, moss Wright and Drakes Creek are always bad in the Spring? The reason I ask is because last year is the only time I've ever seen those fields be so damaged.

My reference to golf courses was to show the weather damaged all types of surfaces last spring.

Please let me know your opinion about those facilities.

Siegel was awful last october during the girls state tournament which was before the harsh winter.

Downs is always bermuda and never seeded over in the fall. It is brown every winter and early spring and takes a good beating due to all the games played on it.

Never seen the others in the spring.

My point is if you don't plan for winter weather than you field will look brown and dead during the spring. Yes the weather was worse than expected but could be prevented if done correctly. Just look at fields that were green in the spring and yes there was plenty of them and it as a field that took the correct steps.

Facts are if you want to play on a green field in the spring, you have to plan for it in the early fall. It doesnt happen overnight. It also helps if you have someone who knows what they are talking about helping you work on the field and not relying on the city or county to take care of it because they don't want to or can't afford to.

+1

Right now when Siegal should be getting their fields ready for winter they are hosting 3 tournaments in a row (Bash in the Boro, High School State and Boys Div 1,2 and 3 State), all after having a bunch of rain in October.  Rain in October is great for growing rye, but only if you stay off of it.

Notre Dame had a beautiful green field last May.  The reason why was that in an attempt to improve the field they stayed off of it until a couple of weeks before games started and they also stayed off it in March and April if it was soggy.

I am in no way suggesting we play the State tournament at ND, I am just suggesting what needs to be done if you want to keep a field in decent shape during a cold and wet winter.  They have a difficult time doing that at Siegal because of all the commitments, so on the years when the fields a sub-par, they should move the tournament to high school fields in the Nashville area and forget about having all the divisions at one location.