TSSAA Football Districts for 2015-2016

Gerry Bertier

It wouldn't be a huge travel difference for York to go east instead of west, especially if you're counting Sequatchie and Grundy as possibly part of the group with Cannon and DeKalb. If it happens like that, they should work with York and let them go Pigeon Forge (122 miles) one year and Northview (107 miles) the other year. Other trips-playing on the road every other season-would be Alcoa-86 miles, Kington, 67 miles; Loudon, 81 miles; CAK, 70 miles, Scott just down the road at 30 miles.

The current 8-AA opponents would be Smithville-75 mile, Woodbury-95 miles, Baxter-57 miles, Carthage-83 miles. Plus possibly Sequatchie-85 miles and Grundy-108 miles. With 3 non-region spots open they could probably keep someone like Upperman or Smith if they wanted.

Sequatchie's trips, by the way, would be about 1 hour to 1 hour, 10 minutes to DeKalb, Cannon and Upperman, and about 1 hr, 30 minutes to Carthage. You can get caught in traffic in Chattanooga and take nearly an hour or longer to the schools there especially on Friday.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It wouldn't be a huge travel difference for York to go east instead of west, especially if you're counting Sequatchie and Grundy as possibly part of the group with Cannon and DeKalb. If it happens like that, they should work with York and let them go Pigeon Forge (122 miles) one year and Northview (107 miles) the other year. Other trips-playing on the road every other season-would be Alcoa-86 miles, Kington, 67 miles; Loudon, 81 miles; CAK, 70 miles, Scott just down the road at 30 miles.

The current 8-AA opponents would be Smithville-75 mile, Woodbury-95 miles, Baxter-57 miles, Carthage-83 miles. Plus possibly Sequatchie-85 miles and Grundy-108 miles. With 3 non-region spots open they could probably keep someone like Upperman or Smith if they wanted.

Sequatchie's trips, by the way, would be about 1 hour to 1 hour, 10 minutes to DeKalb, Cannon and Upperman, and about 1 hr, 30 minutes to Carthage. You can get caught in traffic in Chattanooga and take nearly an hour or longer to the schools there especially on Friday.

What you have not taken into account is the change in time zones for both schools. York Institute may travel a little farther but the time zone issue would outweigh it.

Hate that, make one sport equitable and the others not makes no sense. If it's for the next 2 years, why not go ahead and re-district as well. It'd be the fair thing to do.

If they were to have redone basketball with the latest enrollments, I counted cutoffs as Class A's largest-Silverdale and Sullivan North each at 531, and Class AA's largest, Jackson Northside at 1007. These would have also been the regular season football cutoffs if the current plan continued since they felt they had to match basketball. (From there, would have split further in the playoffs).

You forgot to add Gatlinburg Pittman in there. And have you ever traveled to that area on a Friday. It's a 3 hour trip by interstate. Yes through the back country roads it can be quicker. But we're talking buses here. I'm sure your gonna get a lot of fans to make a 3 hour trip to get home at 4 or 4 in the morning. I know Sequatchie is trying hard to get out of the valley to play I've heard all that too.

Edited by YAIDAD

Here is what I would do.

Region 1

Johnson Co.

Elizabethton

Unicoi County

Chuckey-Doak

West Greene

Claiborne Co.

Region 2

Northview Academy

Pigeon Forge

CAK

Loudon

Kingston

Scott Co.

Alcoa

Region 3

East Ridge

Notre Dame

Chattanooga Christian

Howard

Red Bank

Signal Mountain

McMinn Central

Region 4

Cannon County

York Institute

Upperman

DeKalb County

Smith County

Grundy Co.

Sequatchie Co.

Region 5

CPA

East Nashville

Stratford

Whites Creek

Greenbrier

White House

Goodpasture

Region 6

Sycamore

Cheatham County

Stewart Co.

Camden

Fairview

Harpeth

East Hickman

Region 7

Westview

Dyersburg

Milan

South Gibson

Liberty Tech

JCM

Southside

McNairy

Region 8

Sheffield

Hamilton

Melrose

East

Raleigh Egypt

Covington

Fayette Ware

Bolivar

Claiborne to Johnson County is pretty far, it would make sense for Claiborne to be in region 2

I don't think Seymour should be in Region 1 4A.  That crowds Region 1 with 8 teams and leaves Region 2 4A sparse with only 6 teams.  I would think travel time would be less for Seymour if it was in Region 2 but I haven't plotted the numbers.

However, someone just explained to me their reasoning, which is that it will be harder for 4A teams in Upper ET to get non-region games.