Westmoreland at CPA - Round 2

sportsnerd

So do you feel that your Lions football team is on a level playing field with my yellow jackets? Yes or no will be fine.

Unfortunately it cannot be answered Yes or No. That's like asking if a wealthy African American kid is on a level paying field with a poor white kid. There is no easy answer. Are there differences in schools? Yes. Do those differences matter? Yes. Can they be overcome? Yes. Should they have to be? That is the issue. I am not against the split; however, until it is dictated, I don't like the assumption that private schools cheat, that our team doesn't deserve to be recognized for their accomplishments, and I don't think it is healthy to teach your kids that they cannot overcome. A private school has not won the state 3A in years, and only in the finals once in the past few years. Someone on the public level is overcoming regardless of the field.

With that said, somebody must be better than Alcoa and that doesn't happen much. What is it about Alcoa's field, Union City's field, Trousdale's field, Maryville and the Murfreesboro schools field, etc.?

Unfortunately it cannot be answered Yes or No. That's like asking if a wealthy African American kid is on a level paying field with a poor white kid. There is no easy answer. Are there differences in schools? Yes. Do those differences matter? Yes. Can they be overcome? Yes. Should they have to be? That is the issue. I am not against the split; however, until it is dictated, I don't like the assumption that private schools cheat, that our team doesn't deserve to be recognized for their accomplishments, and I don't think it is healthy to teach your kids that they cannot overcome. A private school has not won the state 3A in years, and only in the finals once in the past few years. Someone on the public level is overcoming regardless of the field.With that said, somebody must be better than Alcoa and that doesn't happen much. What is it about Alcoa's field, Union City's field, Trousdale's field, Maryville and the Murfreesboro schools field, etc.?

2012-13. CAK 48 Milan 14

2011-12. CAK 49 Milan 14

Been years?

Using next years numbers there are 50 teams in 3A. 8 of these are Private. So the probability of a private winning the State is 0.16, the probability of a public winning is 0.84. So over a 10 year period we should see 8.4 public wins and 1.6 private wins. This is really close to what wev've seen in the last 10 years in 3A with 2 private wins and 8 public wins. What is interesting is the odds for having a match up between 1 private and 1 public is 0.1344. So this situation should happen 1.34 times in a 10 year period. In the last 10 years this has happened 7 times. Just food for thought!

2012-13. CAK 48 Milan 14

2011-12. CAK 49 Milan 14

Been years?

Using next years numbers there are 50 teams in 3A. 8 of these are Private. So the probability of a private winning the State is 0.16, the probability of a public winning is 0.84. So over a 10 year period we should see 8.4 public wins and 1.6 private wins. This is really close to what wev've seen in the last 10 years in 3A with 2 private wins and 8 public wins. What is interesting is the odds for having a match up between 1 private and 1 public is 0.1344. So this situation should happen 1.34 times in a 10 year period. In the last 10 years this has happened 7 times. Just food for thought

Valid points; however, my point was that until the system changes (and I believe it will), private schools are not villains for playing within the system and the assumption that they cheat and are not worthy is not valid. Kids (including CPA kids) will face unlevel playing fields all their life, in school, on the field, at work, etc.. The message we need to teach them is that the effort put forth in overcoming is what truly defines a successful person.I had a son who went to CPA who had learning disabilities and the playing field was not even for him either. He could have complained about it but it wouldn't have helped. He dealt with it and succeeded as best as he could. That has been the story of America.

I respect the teams we beat on the field and the ones who beat us. They all work hard.

Edited by sportsnerd

Valid points; however, my point was that until the system changes (and I believe it will), private schools are not villains for playing within the system and the assumption that they cheat and are not worthy is not valid. Kids (including CPA kids) will face unlevel playing fields all their life, in school, on the field, at work, etc.. The message we need to teach them is that the effort put forth in overcoming is what truly defines a successful person.I had a son who went to CPA who had learning disabilities and the playing field was not even for him either. He could have complained about it but it wouldn't have helped. He dealt with it and succeeded as best as he could. That has been the story of America.I respect the teams we beat on the field and the ones who beat us. They all work hard.

What's even more interesting is the odds for Alcoa to win 7 of the last 10 is 0.00000000000128. Now I know this is not the same as calculating the odds for winning the Lottery because there are other variables at work that I'm not considering, but it's still pretty interesting. Sounds like Alcoa should take a trip to Vegas.

Name one team that had more TALENT than you all this season. You can't! I saw them all this season and Marshall Co. would have been the closest and it still isn't that close.  You win with superior players and very good coaching. Please don't insult us and pretend that you all are coaching up little Johnny and beating superior athletes with discipline.... As far as basketball you all DO recruit. I won't get into naming names but even many of your own admit to the basketball shenanigans. Coach Maddox is a good coach but it makes it a lot easier when you begin with a stacked deck.

Pretty good chance these kids are coached up, unless CPA is really good at recruiting kindergartners. 

Houston Nichols - cpa since kindergarten LB, RB Sr. 6-0 200

Zack Weatherly - cpa since kindergarten QB, DB Jr. 6-2 3 Sr. 5-11 170

Mac Keck - cpa since kindergarten TE, LB Sr. 5-11 190 DB Jr. 5-11 170      7 J.R. Osborn - cpa since kindergarten WR, DB, K Sr. 5-11 175

Price Perdue cpa since kindergarten WR, DB Jr. 6-3 170

10 William Whitaker - cpa since kindergarten WR, DB Sr.    

12 Jay Hockaday - cpa since freshman year QB, LB Sr. 6-3 215

17 John Orr cpa since kindergarten QB, LB Jr. 6-2 195 

21 Jacob Webster cpa since 7th grade RB, LB Jr.    

24 Cole Smith RB, LB Jr.  cpa since kindergarten  

25 Wallace Barrett  - cpa since kindergarten RB, DB Jr. 6-1 185

45 Chip Omer  - cpa since kindergarten RB, LB Jr. 5-11 180

56 Peyton Kemp cpa since kindergarten OL, DL Jr. 6-1 200

66 Parker Howell cpa since kindergarten OL, DL Sr. 6-5 275 6

72 Rooke Young - since 9th grade OL, DL So.    

76 Sam Johnson - since 9th grade OL, DL Sr. 6-2 240

88 Joseph Richard - since 7th grade WR, DB Jr. 6-2 195

CPA starters offense and defense - 12 players since kindergarten, 2 7th grade,  and 2 freshman.  I hardly call that recruiting.   This is the starters only, several other kids on the roster since Kindergarten.  This may not be 100% exact but pretty darn close.  I know all kindergarten starts are correct though.

No, I have just have watched the CPA system work for the past 15 years.

The problem develops when people trying to be supportive and positive take partial truth and make it the whole truth. This is where you make the mistake as others have done based simply on what you know and what you have watched.  Others know and have watched as well and have seen a different side then the one you present.  Of course this should not be a problem for anyone interested in the whole truth, but as nerd says, this is not a forum where truth always matters, and there are plenty of examples residing in the "truth does not matter camp" on both sides of this issue.

Edited by kbrks

I asked directions to (The Den), this guy said, “Well that’s just a hop, skip and a jump away.†… “Well that’s not how I’m getting there… You got directions for those who are walking?â€

Head south on 65, exit at Old Hickory in Brentwood. Head west on OHB and stick your head out the window. You'll turn left when you get to that "we are better than public schools but still little brother/sister to the real private schools in town" smell. You can't miss it.

Head south on 65, exit at Old Hickory in Brentwood. Head west on OHB and stick your head out the window. You'll turn left when you get to that "we are better than public schools but still little brother/sister to the real private schools in town" smell. You can't miss it.

Ron - hope to see you at the game again to clean the bathrooms, you do a great job.