Class 2A Proposed Football Regions 2015-16

rocketman

It is really funny to me that so many on this board really seem to believe that getting the privates out of D1 will solve the problems of the TSSAA.  There are less than 20 privates among all of the D1 classes.  Sending them to D2 will not solve the problems with the TSSAA.  

Anyway, getting back on task with the topic of this tread, This new system is a result of many coaches and fans whining that they did not understand the Z Plan and what it took to make the playoffs.  Under the Z Plan, the top two teams in a given region automatically made the playoffs.  Once the automatic qualifiers were set, then wild cards entries were given to teams who met certain well defined criteria.  

Now with the new system that starts next year, many coaches get what they want as the top four qualify for the playoffs and you will always be matched up against the same regions when playoffs start.  Because of suspensions, two districts will have all of their eligible teams qualify for the playoffs.  Yes, under the new system, you could have two teams qualify with zero district wins and possibly two teams qualifying without winning a single regular season game all season.  That would NOT have been possible under the Z Plan.  In three of the new districts you will now have to possibly win a minimum of 4 district games to get a  #4 seed while in two other districts you can win 4 district games and be a #1 seed should all teams be eligible.  Fair and equitable, I think not.  

So many people on this board whined about the Z Plan and wanted change.  Be careful what you whine about because you just might get change.  Of course, nobody said the change would be better than what you had before.  Yep, under the new plan, it is possible in three districts to go 6-4 and miss the playoffs while in two districts, you could go 1-9 and make the playoffs.  

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Reitz.....what do you recommend?  With any system, there are flaws.  I can't think of anything that truely levels the field with the private schools.  They have advantages that the public schools can not compete with bringing a prospect to their school.  If they want to stay....should they play in the highest class?  That way they have to compete against the sheer numbers of the largest classes enrollment.  The smallest classes are drawing kids from a limited number of resources.  Urban publics can draw from the population base around it and 3 players later voila......an instant playoff caliber Single or Double A team.  Makes the hill steeper for teams that have to draw kids from smaller of limited environments.

Kazaater

Private schools into Division II, four classes in football, basketball, baseball and softball (with each sport having the numbers divided separately). Sixteen districts to keep teams close together, as eight regions widens them. Districts would average 5 teams and 4 would make playoffs but it would help with any money lost going down in the number of playoff classes.

Private schools into Division II, four classes in football, basketball, baseball and softball (with each sport having the numbers divided separately). Sixteen districts to keep teams close together, as eight regions widens them. Districts would average 5 teams and 4 would make playoffs but it would help with any money lost going down in the number of playoff classes.

I've been in open support of the split but my neighbor said today that we should do away with the split all together and bump privates 1 class and privates offering aid 2 classes.

Thoughts?

Reitz.....what do you recommend?  With any system, there are flaws.  I can't think of anything that truely levels the field with the private schools.  They have advantages that the public schools can not compete with bringing a prospect to their school.  If they want to stay....should they play in the highest class?  That way they have to compete against the sheer numbers of the largest classes enrollment.  The smallest classes are drawing kids from a limited number of resources.  Urban publics can draw from the population base around it and 3 players later voila......an instant playoff caliber Single or Double A team.  Makes the hill steeper for teams that have to draw kids from smaller of limited environments.

Kazaater

This thread is not about the a public/private split although some are still under the dilusional thinking that a split will solve all of the problems.  Not one poster has been able to say why the new playoff plan for next year is better than the Z Plan.  All I have heard from many on this board is how the Z Plan stinks.  Now, many are barking about the new format and I have heard some now wanting the Z Plan to stay.  The new plan has many faults that simply can't be fixed because of the very rigid nature of the format.  The Z Plan has been modified from its original form and has been improved on year by year.  With a rare exception because of a small week region, the caliber of teams in the playoffs is much better than what it could "possibly" be under the new format.  

I will just say this about the a possible public/private split......If it happens, the smaller rural schools will simply find something different to complain about.  Next it will be the open zoned schools.  Seems that the haters just want to legislate themselves into a championship.